Notices

Motivation for our daughter

Old 05-25-2010, 04:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by waynegretzky
Those are great ideas!! She did mention a friend of hers lost a lot of weight using WiiFit and she has also mentioned that if she ever found a treadmill cheap she would like to get one.

Just recently they did go swimming and she was telling us how much the baby loved the water so i am going to look into that also! Thanks and have a great weight losing week!!
I read that you guys are a couple hours apart. What if you sprung for a cheap treadmill and then planned to train for a family 5k walk somewhere between your locations. She can even bring the baby in a stroller. That way she not only has the tool (treadmill) but something to look forward to (time with you guys) and a goal (5K) to work towards.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

I've been in her shoes...it took me finally making the hard choice to find the time to schedule exercise even if it IS 4:30 in the morning!!!

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
I was only slightly overweight as a child but my mother restricted my food as early as the age of 7 for me. She constantly tried to motivate me to exercise and watch what I eat and by the time I was a teenager I really resented her for that. As a result I gained about 10 pounds every year.

I am worried that your mere suggestions to her that she try to lost weight will hurt and anger her. She may subconsciously put more weight on if she gets resentful. I may be totally wrong here, it's just been my experience and I was constantly "encouraged" at a much younger age. One thing is obvious though, your love for your daughter comes through in your post. I think she's lucky to have a dad like you.

Best of luck with your continued success!
I agree with all of this...I came from a "clean your plate" family and was the youngest of 4 and I think had mom and dad left me the heck alone on my "picky" eating, that I probably wouldn't be struggling to the degree I am. Not only was it "clean your plate" but it was "clean your plate or I'll give you more and you will SIT there until you FINISH it all". I know that had a lot to do with my reward/punishment mentality when it comes to food.

Originally Posted by anderson02
I read that you guys are a couple hours apart. What if you sprung for a cheap treadmill and then planned to train for a family 5k walk somewhere between your locations. She can even bring the baby in a stroller. That way she not only has the tool (treadmill) but something to look forward to (time with you guys) and a goal (5K) to work towards.

This is a fabulous idea!!! Does she have a really high quality jogging type stroller for the little one?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I really have nothing to add except admiration for all of your outstanding ideas! You all are speaking from the heart and from experience and have given all of us viewers such great ideas! Thanks a bunch (of bananas, that is! )
Old 05-27-2010, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by blackrhino2
I think that eventually she will come around. It just might take a few years. People are resistant to change so maybe if she continues to see you walking the healthy lifestyle she will eventually feel empowered to do so herself. It is very psychological and it's hard to get our minds to change.

Great job on you and your wife's weight loss and for setting good examples for your daughter and grand baby. Keep it up!!
Originally Posted by Wylie7
Waynegretzky (he was - and still is - a hometown hero from my childhood ),

I was in the same position as your daughter 6 months ago, with less weight to lose. I had all the same excuses, and I would still have the same excuses if I didn't work or get out of the house without the children. I had very little help and was with my children 24/7, despite having a supportive husband.
Thank you for the ideas She doesn't get out of the house much as she also babysits two other children besides her own daughter now. It is very tough to get down there every week for us.

Another problem is she doesn't really have a supportive partner/spouse. He will bring home junk food regardless.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
Could you do the same for your special occasions? Host her family, and have an organic, lean meal with lots of veggies, etc? I understand that you live several hours away, so just make sure to make a big impact when you do get together. Also talk about your struggles! It may make her feel more human.
Oh, and one last idea - as Grandpa, you may feel compelled to always have treats in your fridge or pockets for your grandbaby. Keep fresh fruits and veggies for the baby. Get a sippy cup and instead of juice, put a little crystal light in it. My 1 year old son LOVES it, it keeps him hydrated with zero calories and no sugar. Give her PB&J on 100% whole grain bread.
We have 1 rule regarding meals (no matter who's house): you NEVER have to clean your plate, but you are required to finish your veggies. So, my 7 year old has learned to eat them first. We've taught her "priority eating." Where she will eat the protein and veggies first and leave the "filler" (carbs) for last.

Good luck, but I think your best bet will be to lead by example, don't pressure but be honest and open.
Some great thoughts there Erinn, thank you. When she is here she struggles as we "have nothing in the fridge". She hates cooking too so that makes it even harder for her.

Since we have gone healthy, there are no unhealthy foods in our house period!! No treats, no cookies, no chocolates! Of course we are still losing weight too so that would not be good!

I am really counting on leading by example and talking about it lots too. Thank you so much for your help.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by anderson02
I have been checking out now for a decent used treadmill. I am thinking that she shows interest, i might as well spend 150 dollars or so and try.

The only thing is that i have some negativity towards buying her more stuff. She has destroyed anything we have given her.... cars, computers, lawn chairs, so i am trying to get over that and tell myself that i can't put a price on good health. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by montanacricket
This is a fabulous idea!!! Does she have a really high quality jogging type stroller for the little one?
Yes she does but sadly laziness always wins over If she can't drive in her car, she doesn't go.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
I really have nothing to add except admiration for all of your outstanding ideas! You all are speaking from the heart and from experience and have given all of us viewers such great ideas! Thanks a bunch (of bananas, that is! )
Well said and yes i admire it also!! So much support it is outstanding!! Thank you very much to everyone
Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 PM
FitDay Member

Congrats on all your weight loss. I truly believe that an individual changes when they are ready to do it. If you read through many of the posts in the forums you'll find that people took initiative when something finally clicked inside themselves. However, like many others here I do agree that you can encourage family activities but please don't be like my parents were with me and be critical. I hope your daughter comes around and sees how much healthier her parents are becoming and realizes that she should change for herself. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by waynegretzky
Those are great ideas!! She did mention a friend of hers lost a lot of weight using WiiFit and she has also mentioned that if she ever found a treadmill cheap she would like to get one.

Just recently they did go swimming and she was telling us how much the baby loved the water so i am going to look into that also! Thanks and have a great weight losing week!!
You're welcome, but I can't take the credit for those ideas. Most of those things are what my parents did for me. One year for Christmas they bought us a family pass to the Community Rec Center, and we've renewed it ever since. The kids love that place. My mom also paid for water baby classes for our kids, and now they are all on the swim club. One year for my birthday they bought me a stationary bike, and they've loaned me countless workout DVD's, usually I'm not allowed to borrow them until my folks can do the whole thing, but I'm a patient woman (well sort of). I will say the Wii Fit Plus was my husband's idea, and personally I love it. It's fun and it really doesn't feel like working out, it feels like playing. It was also an "ah-ha" moment for me when it told me on Christmas morning that I weighed twice what I should. And on treadmills, be prepared to spend a little extra. We actually ended up with an elliptical, because the treadmill I liked cost 3 times more than the elliptical that felt "just right". You might find a used one for a reasonable price, but don't buy anything until you've given it a test run. You should have seen me out shopping for the elliptical, I wore workout clothes and I bet I went 10 miles that day. I was so tired and sweaty at the end, but it was worth it. I love our elliptical, and because I love it, I use it - almost every day. Good luck, it takes time and dedication to motivate someone else.

Another thing that motivated me to get in better shape was a friend of mine. She was like me, in her 40's, chubby and not too worried about it. And then all of a sudden she heard a voice in her head that said "Why don't you run a 5K?". It's a long story, but she thinks it was the angel of another friend that had recently died of breast cancer. So she looked up how to train for a 5K and got started. She consequently dragged all her co-workers with her. That was 2 years ago, and now she's planning to run the New York Marathon this fall. And all the co-workers are now a running team and I think they call themselves "Losing It", or something. They've all lost weight and look fantastic. So I figured if they can do it, so can I.

So how do you feel about running a 5K?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.