FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Who's found a great sports bra? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1088-whos-found-great-sports-bra.html)

cjohnson728 05-18-2010 01:43 AM

Who's found a great sports bra?

I'm looking for recommendations for a brand/style of sports bra that's really comfortable.

I don't need a ton of support (I'm flirting with AA, here), but it still seems like everything I try on is tight and smooshy on the rib cage or over the shoulders. I have a couple old ones that are wearing out and I can't find that style anymore.

What works for you?

Thanks ;)!

almeeker 05-18-2010 01:50 AM

I'm interested in this subject too. I watched the Williams sisters play tennis the other day on TV, and they had on some really good one and was like "Oh yeah baby, that's what I need!". But with all the cooperate sponsorship in professional sports these days, not one stinking sports bra commercial. How dare they?

bsaz 05-18-2010 01:54 AM

I actually joined Serena's site so I could email this very question! No response, though.

Wylie7 05-18-2010 02:01 AM

I found a good one and it is called Shock Absorber. They make a few different support levels. It is fantastic!! It is really difficult to put on, but once it is on, it is comfortable and works well. The only downside is the price, but most sports bras are pretty expensive. Here's a link to a picture on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Shock Absorber Women's Extreme Support Classic Sports Bra #109: Clothing

I got mine from a department store where I'm from (The Bay).

runfree10K 05-18-2010 02:10 AM

Best Sports Bras for Women

By Paige Waehner, About.com Guide

Updated May 05, 2010

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board
See More About:

* sports bras
* women's exercise clothes
* exercise gear
* product reviews

Finding the right sports bra is like finding the right pair of jeans...there's agony, there's triumph and then there are all the emotions in between. It takes some time to find the perfect bra for your size and activity, but I've put together my top picks covering everything from running to yoga and women who are extra curvy and those who, um, aren't.
1. Moving Comfort Calli Sports Bra
""Image Courtesy of Pricegrabber

If you normally have to wear 2 sports bras to get the support you need, this is the bra for you. Made for women with C-E cup sizes, this bra offers support, separation and comfort with a padded underwire and wide, adjustable straps. It also offers great sweat-wicking fabric to keep you comfortable and dry. Best for: Curvy Women, High Impact Activities.
Compare Prices
Sponsored Links

Sports BrasShop a Wide Variety of Sports Bras. Size 32A to 48I. Full Figure Also!Bras, shapewear, women's plus size underwear, DD+ bras, hosiery at BareNecessities.com. Free Shipping Offer.

Athleta Official Site ŽDiscover the latest women's activewear & get $7 flat shipping.Gap.com

High Impact Sports BrasFor C Through DD Cup Sizes. Get Extra Support for Hi-Impact Sports.Team Estrogen - Women's Cycling Apparel, Triathlon Clothing, Running, Fitness and Swim Wear
2. Hallelujah Bra

The name of this bra says it all and, as the bra experts at Title 9 Sports say, you will rejoice with "cups that perfectly encapsulate your breast!" and "don't look like they start somewhere in the middle of your back." This is a favorite bra for C and D-cup women because it separates, supports and wicks sweat away - the three most important things we want from a workout bra. It also holds up during high impact activities. Best for: Curvy Women, High Impact Activities
More Info
3. Speedo Underwire Sports Bra

A reader emailed me a while back and told me I had to recommend this bra to women who may need a little extra support, but don't want to feel like they're in a straight jacket. As she said, "I wear a 34DD and have had 2 kids...I wear it all the time...It was comfy enough to even wear when pregnant." Best for: Curvy Women, Medium-High Impact Activities.
Vendor's Site
4. Saucony Motion Sensor Bra

This sports bra is great for medium-curvy women looking for support without feeling too constricted. The criss-cross straps provide comfortable support and the fabric is breathable so sweat is wicked away from your body. You'll also find you have great support for high impact exercises if you're a C-D cup and the hook-and-eye clasp makes this one easy to get on and off. Best for: Medium-Curvy Women, Medium-High Impact Activities
Compare Prices
5. Nike Determination Sports Bra

This is another high-quality sports bra that will fit a variety of women, depending on what kind of support you want. Small-chested women will get high-impact support, while fuller-figured women will find this bra is perfect for medium or lower-impact exercise. It also keeps sweat away from your body, keeping you cool and dry. Best for: Medium-Curvy Women, Medium-High Impact Activities
Compare Prices
6. Champion Racerback Sports Bra

I like this bra for higher impact activities and it's one of my favorites because it's seamless and, therefore, there's no chafing. It's a little tougher to get on an off, especially after you've been sweating, but you'll find it a comfortable choice for a variety of activities. It has mesh panels for breathability and is made of moisture-wicking fabric, which keeps sweat away from your skin (although the outer fabric of the bra does get pretty sweaty itself). Best for: Medium Women, High Impact Activities.
Compare Prices
7. Moving Comfort Womens Grace Bra

This lovely bra is not only perfect for small-breasted women, it's also the first sports bra designed for women who've had breast cancer. It's soft, comfy and lightweight and it also has a zip-front which makes it easy to take off. The CoolMax lining doubles as pocket for a prosthesis, but any woman would find the Grace Bra comfortable and supportive. This is probably my favorite sports bra. Best for: Small-Medium Women, High Impact Activities
Compare Prices
8. Moving Comfort Alexis Bra

This is one of my favorite bras because the straps are adjustable, comfortable and flattering, and the banding around the chest keeps things in place without too much compression. It does included padded cups so, if that's not your thing, you may not like it, but it's great for higher impact workouts. Best for: Small-Medium Women, High Impact Activities
Compare Prices
9. Nike Seamless Airborne Tank

If you want full coverage and good support for medium-light impact activities, this is a great choice. It has a built-in bra which, normally, makes it difficult to get these things on and off. But, that's what makes this a good choice - the fabric is soft and stretchy, so it's easily removed, but it still offers great support. It's flattering with a v-neck top and I love the textured fabric and the bright colors available. There are also adjustable straps which makes it easy to adjust the fit for your body. I find this top is perfect for yoga, weight training or other low impact activities, but not the best choice for running or other high impact workouts. Best for: Small-Medium Women, Lower Impact Activities
Compare Prices
10. North Face Celestial Sports Tank

This sports tank is just downright pretty and so comfortable, you'll want to wear it all day. It's fitted, but the fabric is stretchy and designed to wick sweat away from your body. The scoop neck is flattering and it's a little longer in the back for more coverage. This top is great for lower-impact activities like yoga, bike riding or weight training. Best for: Small-Medium Women, Lower Impact Activities

Paige Waehner
Exercise Guide

cjohnson728 05-18-2010 05:47 AM

Thanks so much for the detailed answer! Time to go shopping ;).

veixsus 05-18-2010 12:41 PM

I love the brand Moving Comfort as the sports bra actually comes in cup and band sizes rather than just S, M, L, etc. They're incredibly comfortable yet supportive and I'd highly recommend them. :)

blackrhino2 05-18-2010 01:04 PM

Have you tried Title 9 sports bras? I use the Frog bra and love it.

Here is title 9's site:
Bras & Undies - Title Nine

almeeker 05-18-2010 01:29 PM

Thanks runfree10K, I think you are my new best friend.

cjohnson728 05-18-2010 03:46 PM

Thanks, Julia...I like the site you linked to. I like the bra finder that helps narrow it down.

I did use their calculator to try to find my bra size. It gave me this message:
We're sorry, but your measurements fall outside our calculatable range.

Wow. I knew I was flat, but rejected even by a bra site...that hurts ;).

anderson02 05-19-2010 08:53 AM

I have always been a big fan of Champion sports bras. They have varying levels of support. I found one I love at Kohl's for $25 regular price. They are on sale thru today for $18.75. If you have a Kohl's charge card, you can enter the promo code SUMMER30 to get another 30% off. Again, this is only good thru May 19th (I wish I saw this sooner to share the deals! ;) ). Here's a link to the one I bought
Champion Double Dry Reversible Seamless Sports Bra

I am a 36C and purchased a Large. I probably could have gone with a Medium but since I am a walker, not a runner, I perfer comfort over support. :)

sandyb. 06-28-2010 02:47 AM

Maybe you could use a bra from Triumph I also use it to do gym. They're really good!

changeisgood29 06-29-2010 04:05 PM

Wow, I was just thinking about asking this same question today... Thanks for reading my mind, CJ! Thank you, Runfree, for the tips - definitely time for shopping here, too.

skankinlizard 07-02-2010 07:44 AM

Champion.....

For the ladies out there with larger "girls" this sports bra is it:

Champion Double Dry Action Shape Sports Bra | Champion

I never ran in high school because I was self-conscious about my boobs flying around. I found this bra and it changed my life. Seriously. When this thing is on, the girls don't move. And I've only recently had to replace the one that I had for YEARS. :D

almeeker 07-02-2010 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by skankinlizard (Post 14955)
For the ladies out there with larger "girls" this sports bra is it:

Champion Double Dry Action Shape Sports Bra | Champion

I never ran in high school because I was self-conscious about my boobs flying around. I found this bra and it changed my life. Seriously. When this thing is on, the girls don't move. And I've only recently had to replace the one that I had for YEARS. :D

Just out of curiosity what size bra do you wear? It lists the sizes as D, DD - same bra. My problem is that a D cup is not the same as a DD cup, so I'm suspicious of a brand that puts both sets of boobs in the same bra.

skankinlizard 07-03-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 14963)
Just out of curiosity what size bra do you wear? It lists the sizes as D, DD - same bra. My problem is that a D cup is not the same as a DD cup, so I'm suspicious of a brand that puts both sets of boobs in the same bra.

You're right. It can be a little complicated, and I'll try to explain it as I understand it. Bra fitters will usually tell you that you *could* go up or down a "range" and substitute a 34DD for a 36D for example, depending on which fit you like better. So for me, number 4 (34-36 D,DD) is the ticket because I can go between a 34DD and a 36D depending on the brand. Does that make sense? The "mass" is more or less the same. Conversely, if you were normally a 38DD, you could go on either side of that for an "equivalent" size, depending upon which fit you like best (36DDD or 40D). That's how I always understood it anyway. Does that help?

Regardless, I would recommend trying it out somewhere that carries it and once you have your size and know that it works for you, buy it online. You can find it for half the price the champion website (and most department stores) advertises it for. ;)

dedicatedtohealth 07-12-2010 08:34 AM

Under Armour

I swear by Under Armour. I switched exclusively to sports bra in 2004 and haven't looked back. I used to be a DD but got a reduction to a C cup in 2007 and I still only wear sports bras.

Under Armour - Womens - Apparel - Bras - Sports