Notices

need diabetes dieting help and support

Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

Yes, I would love to see the spreadsheet you used. I'm technologically slow..what do you need from me in order to email it to me?

Thanks everyone-I can't believe how much more positive I feel just knowing folks are here to support me!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
FitDay Member

I need your email. My email is [email protected]. Hit me with yours and I'll send it to you. You will need Excel.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

You can do it, I recently beat the onset of Type 2 and feel great.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Diabetes: Blessing?

Hi again,
One thing I forgot to mention is that I eat every 2.5 hours or so as well. I think that has helped me in a number of ways.
1. i don't feel the need to overeat because i'll be eating again soon
2. i eat a balance of complex carbs/protein/fat (protein and fat makes the carb absorption slower). for example, if i have a piece of fruit, i will usually have string cheese or nuts with it as well.
3. that way of eating normalizes the blood sugars which makes you feel so much better. no more highs and lows, but your body is consistently at a normalized state
4. your metabolism keeps going -you continue to burn and your body doesn't go into any "starvation" mode like other "diets" i tried.

The one bad food (and by bad, I mean processed) that i continue to eat are Atkins bars. They are good for my blood sugar and it's like eating a candy bar. I eat one almost every day. They are kind of expensive, but ...I figure I gave up so much else that cost a lot of money, it's worth it. Some of them also have quite a few calories and fat, but ...if i keep within my range, i figure it's ok.

I thought I would share a typical menu for the day for me. keep in mind i also had high cholesterol so many of the things in here are the ways i found to get my cholesterol down without drugs. i will *those items (they come from the Cholesterol Down book):

Breakfast:
1/4 cup steel cut oats*
1/4 cup nutlettes (soy cereal)*
2 T ground flax seed*
1/4 cup blueberries
*lots of cinnamon

Snack1:
Atkins peanut butter bar or apple* and peanut butter

Lunch:
Low carb wrap
1/4 cup black beans* mixed with green peppers and onion
low fat/fat free cheese mix
salsa
black olives*
spinach

Snack 2:
piece of fruit and string cheese or veggie with hummus*

Dinner:
protein (don't eat much red meat so it would include chicken, fish, beans, egg product)
2 veggies
sometimes i will have a carb like roasted red potatoes or sweet potatoes, but i don't eat much of those.
other low carb options i have found include:
low carb pasta-not dreamfields. that does not work for me! there are some shitake (sp??) japanese noodles or a brand called al dente carb nada (those are the best!). they are like real pasta and don't affect my blood sugar at all. a serving is quite large too!
glass of red wine*

Snack 3:
dannon sugar control yogurt
strawberries
apple berry low carb granola (soy based)*
handful of almonds*
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

I am also Type 2 Diabetic. I take my meds, most of the time. Every once in a while I"ll get busy and forget a dose but pretty much I'm dedicated to them. I hate the headache I get when I don't! As far as diet goes, I've not found the key to that. My husband is also type 2 and I know if we were able to get the weight down neither of us probably would have to take meds until much later. However, Sugar carbs bother me less than high fat foods but my husband can eat higher fat foods just not the sugar carbs. Consequently, we try to eat wholesome foods but frankly it gets pretty boring! We've started sharing meals at restaurants, as there is just too much food otherwise. I am 252 lbs, I'd love to just make it back to 180. I liked it there. And even though I was still over weight I wasn't Obese. So how do you all get over the dislike of excercise? Walking is good for me, but I don't necessarily like to just go out and walk through the neighborhoods. I have a treadmill but that gets sort of boring after a while too. I always begin with good intentions on any excercise program but after awhile I just fizzle out. I think it probably stems from being a teenager who did high impact aerobics 3 times a day and it really didn't do much good. I hung out at 170 lbs and when I got married and didn't do aerobics 3 times a day I gained weight really fast. Fit Day really helped me get on track and understand how food worked, it makes it much easier to get back on track if I fall off... what I really need help with is loosing weight, and boosting metabolism. I don't eat that poorly, or that much, but my weight doesn't budge! I am not such a huge fan of excercise and I know that's the most of my problem, but other tips are welcome.