FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   New Here....75 pound club? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1057-new-here-75-pound-club.html)

LillyandGish 05-11-2010 03:19 PM

New Here....75 pound club?

Hi Everyone. I'm new here and just want to connect with some folks. I'm 45 and would like to lose about 75 pounds. I don't think I ever got rid of all the baby weight from my second child (she's 13 now!). Then a car accident with a long recover and a sedentary job just packed on the pounds.

I'm here because I see my mother and what NOT taking care of yourself looks like and I don't want that to be me. Granted, my mother is in her late 60's, but you'd think she was in her 80's. I don't think she could even make it around the block at this point. She's been a chain smoker all of my life and she just sits in front of either the TV or the computer all day.

I want to be active, flexible and strong for the rest of my life! I'm not going down without a fight!

I exercise regularly and I enjoy it. I really love exercise videos. Right now I'm enjoying Stephanie Huckabee's Powerfit sets. I also am a big Leslie Sansone and Ellen Barrett fan.

Sadly though, I lose very little weight with exercise alone. No, it's my eating habits that do me in. I Hope to find some like minds here to help me stay focused.

Lainey622 05-11-2010 04:13 PM

New Here....75 pound club?

Hi,
I am kind of new too. I actually signed up last year, but off and on with this and that and I am pretty much in the same boat I was in at this time last year. What a waste of time.
If I had used that year wisely, I would probably be at my ideal weight. I have a real problem with my food intake too. I love to exercise also, and I am doing Tony Little's weight training tape every other day. However, on my alternate days when I should be walking, I hadn't done anything. I will never get to my goal like this.
Stress, makes me eat.....all day.....anything. I usually start my healthy eating (diet) program every morning, but by lunchtime, it's over. I really need help too. Maybe we can encourage each other.
I was just thinking today, if there was some natural aid to help me from getting hungry. I am going through cravings now, more than ever. I thought about erasing my whole message here, but I also need encouragement. I am at my end. Don't know how to make it through one day on my diet. :confused:
I will continue though, to log my foods and exercise until I am totally conditioned and changed and healthy. Hope to hear from you again. Hey, we are both here on Fitday, so we have taken that first step. Let's encourage each other and look forward to reaching our goals!

LillyandGish 05-11-2010 05:55 PM

Hi Lainey! Thanks for responding. You know, something you said really clicked with me. "If I had used that year wisely..." I have never looked at time like that before. Interesting....I'm going to have to give that some thought.

I'm a total grazer. I don't get to the point where I'm about to eat my hand very often because I nibble all day long. I don't think I necessarily eat unhealthy, just a lot. I tried sucking on sugar free hard candy to see if that would help but it really just made me want more candy. I love to eat, I love to cook, I love to bake. But they don't love me...LOL, or maybe they love me back too much!

I'm a stress eater too. And for me it's always sweets. If I'm stressed, I go for the ice cream or cake. It's hard to because eating feels so good. It's like trying to give up an old friend.

So what are we going to do?? I do know one thing that has helped me a bit, and that's to hold off eating in the morning for as long as possible. I'm not generally very hungry in the mornings anyway. But I try to hold off on eating until I'm truly hungry. Because once I start it's harder to control so the longer I extend that over night fast, the better.

Have you found any little tricks that help you?

Lainey622 05-15-2010 03:18 PM

The other day on Oprah, there was an author (Geneen Roth) of "Women, Food, and God". She spoke of how food is not the main problem, it is our emotions. So the book will help you to find out what is really making you eat. If you go to Oprah Winfrey's Official Website - Live Your Best Life - Oprah.com you will see where you can actually take the online class starting on May 25, 2010 for 6 weeks. I have been studying about it and it makes so much sense. It explains how I go wild to eat anything that gets in front of me when you crave sweets. Hope this helps you. Check out Oprah's website just for the information. Chat with you later.