Notices

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:51 AM
FitDay Member

Skinny - Glad to have you back! We all understand having icky weeks, but that's why we're here! Everytime you feel like sucking on a cancer stick, just log on here - we got your back!

Janet - Welcome! I love this group and have gotten alot of positive encouragement and helpful tips. I also weigh more than hubby, and he's extremely fit and muscular and walks around with his shirt off all the time. It plays tricks with your head because you start saying things to yourself like "he deserves someone thinner/prettier/sexier", and sometimes I put those words into his mouth when that's not how he truly feels. Oh, the psychology that goes along with being overweight....

I have had an incredible sweet tooth for days now, and Aunt Flo isn't scheduled for a trip for another 2 weeks! I don't know why but all I want is a Dairy Queen Blizzard. I will go on ignoring that evil little ice cream demon inside me, mainly because I am so close I can smell the next decade and no delicious soft serve serpent is going to screw that up! Pray that I can continue this pattern all weekend!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:39 AM
FitDay Member

Hey all!!!

Jaybrodz, I think that's a good plan long term. For now I'm watching the calories closely because I think that I lost track before I started this, on what a portion was, and what a "balanced" meal looked like. I'm using this as a training tool, but hope to someday be able to ditch it at least most of the time.

Congrats to all you "losers" I'm not weighing til aunt flo shows because I'm retaining fluids so bad.

Remember last week when I was hurting so bad??? WEll I talked to my mom this morning and now SHE's hurting. I think that we both had a virus...

Now I have my husband's lovely sore throat and cold. So I slept in this morning. I'm so dang tired with it that I fell asleep reading last night. When I need sleep, I need sleep!!!

So let's all have a great weekend! I'm going to get housework and laundry done and since hubby has national guard drill this weekend, it's "teach the kids to cook" weekend. WE're going to learn to make something new, just not sure what yet.

Happy weekend to all!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

Egm, if you have a bullet, first mix some skim milk with splenda to taste and an extract of choice. Make it a little strong and freeze it in ice cube trays. Then put it in a bullet and add more skim milk and allow to blend more than the usual ten seconds so it is of blizzard thickness. If you use almond or vanilla extract or such, add just a few chocolate chips and stir with your spoon. I do this with fruit and it makes a good blizzard. I just didn't know what to call it. I was calling it a sorbet but it is not quite as thick as one. I am going to section some oranges and halved sections to make an orange one tomorrow. I used to like the vanilla popsicles with the orange sherbet outside. You ladies are probably too young to know what they are.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

Cricket, I think it is wonderful that you are teaching your children to cook. My kids were active in the kitchen and when they were around twelve or thirteen, each was responsible for at least one meal a week. I had these terribly overly expensive menu cards where you pay too much for the pictures and they had to choose from them. It gave us a chance to catch a break with both of us being in the army and the whole family a chance to try something so out of the ordinary. I think that they enjoyed it all cook very well. One really excels and has surpassed me and like me, he rarely uses a recipe.

Low Cal Pork Stew (Best if made a day ahead to thicken and allow the flavors to seep in.)

1lb and a half of pork stew meat with fat trimmed and cut to soup size so it is evenly spread out in each spoonful

One each red, yellow, green and orange pepper cut to one inch by half inch pieces.

Two onions of choice, large, cut to about the same size

Small bag of baby carrots.

Two medium to large sweet potatoes, so that when cut is the same amount as carrots--leave skin on and cut to inch size pieces

Six or seven pressed garlic cloves or to taste

One carton of Swansons chicken broth and another can or carton available in case you have to add more to stew (Note: Freeze what is left over in ice cube trays for next time you need it.)

One can of diced tomatoes (I used a can that had olive oil and garlic in it because that is all I had. I am a cook with what I have person.)

Three T of extra virgin olive oil

About two T of dried oregano

Seasoning salt and pepper to taste

Sautee garlic. Put as much in as you like. Add meat and brown and add some of the salt and pepper to season it. If you have a bullet or processor or blender fill it with a bullet size amount of carrots and s. potatoes. Add broth to the fill line of the bullet which equals a cup of all ingredients if you don't have a bullet. Grind. This will be your thickener for the stew.

After browning the meat, toss in the peppers and onion. Add the broth to cook down and cover. When cooked down some to where you can add everything else, do so. Allow to boil and turn down to simmer. Stir and taste, you might want to add more seasoning. Check the liquid level a couple times and it is done in about twenty to thirty mins. If you want a thicker stew the first day, grind more vegetables that were not to be included in the dish and add after original cooking time, simmer some more until desired thickness but remember this will add a few more cals. My recipe is about 300 cals for a nice size bowl.

I thought about next time adding cabbage and was going to add green beans but that is the way that I make all my stews--with green beans and I wanted something different this time. You guys had talked so much about s. potatoes that I had to try it and a word of caution, try at your own risk; this one came straight from my head and not a recipe.

Last edited by Jaybrodz; 06-04-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default Weirdness

I have been so tired lately, achy all over, can't concentrate, floaters in my eyes make it hard to see. My throat is messed up, glands swollen... dizzy, lightheaded...and just blech.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Jaybrodz
I used to like the vanilla popsicles with the orange sherbet outside. You ladies are probably too young to know what they are.
Now on that score you would be wrong, not that I would ever admit to the whole of it .... Actually you can still buy those popsicles, my 6 year old LOVES them, only now they come in a box with raspberry and grape flavored creamsicles. When I was a kid it was orange or nothing... I've been telling my kids about the good ol' days lately. You should have seen there faces when I talked about PAY PHONES!!! Very very funny that. So then my 8 year old pipes up with "Well no wonder Superman isn't real anymore, there aren't any pay phone booths for him to change in". Leave it to her to put that together.

egmdobbs, I'm with you today, can't stop eating or wanting to eat to save my life, 1/2 way to Aunt Flo as well (I suppose it could be ovulation?). I'm already over budget for the day and we haven't even had our afternoon snack yet. And if I know hubby (and believe me I do) he'll want to go out to eat tonight. So if I have any prayer of salvaging this day I'm going to have to make a plan for dinner right now!!! Well golly, what can I make that has 37 calories, zero fat, 18 grams of protein, very tasty and is very satisfying????? Ummmm..... NOTHING!!! Tomorrow won't be any better, our 6 year old is turning 7, so we're having a slumber party with pizza, s'mores, birthday cake etc etc etc. Maybe the parts for the elliptical will arrive on Monday and I can jump back on the wagon with some gusto.

jay honey, how many people you feeding with that pot of soup? Good grief I don't think even my stock pot would hold all that. It sounds good, and there's pork in the freezer, but it's been too hot around here to consider stew, I'll have to print that one off and wait until we either get some rain or some autumn. Hopefully by autumn I'll have so many sweet potatoes I'll be looking for recipes to make with them. Fingers crossed.

cricket, I've been teaching my kids to cook too! I taught our 8 year old how to brown ground beef (or turkey) and boil water and then I taught her how to make things from there, like sloppy joes, spaghetti, beef stroganoff, chili, etc etc. Now she thinks she's a genius. Danger follows our 6 year old like that cloud over Pigpen, so we keep her back from open flame, but she's very good at baking and assembling things like salads and sandwiches. You might want to check out the food network website, Paula Dean recipes have been a big hit with my girls. They are easy and usually turn out pretty well regardless of actual culinary skill, big thumbs up for her "ultimate coffee cake" (which is now our 6 year old's specialty). Rachel Ray also has a whole cookbook of kid recipes, my kids LOVE her honey nut chicken sticks - although we cut some of the spices in half on her recipes. I also taught them how to grill (use your best fake French accent here) Carton a' Papier. Which is the name of a French cookbook completely dedicated to the art of tin foil dinners. It's really fun and the kids love it. Completely off topic, but I usually call it a night after I drop the book I'm reading smack down on my face.

eeb, you silly woman, vacations are necessary they break up the monotony of life, we even need to take the occasional vacay from the diet. It's okay, it's human and to quote a few folks on this forum "a zig up the calorie scale can supercharge your metabolism for a good drop". Besides if you were already perfect, just based on simple principle, we fat girls would have to hate you....

skinny, glad you're back. I was a little worried that you had it out with the SO and somebody pulled the plug on the computer. I hear you on the shopping thing. This past winter I signed DH and I up for a "Biggest Loser Couples" thing a friend of mine organized. So the first day of the competition arrives, I email in our combined weight and then I realized that the healthiest, low-cal breakfast option I had in the entire house was a 2-pack of pink frosted poptarts - with sprinkles... I can't do this with a monthly big shop, I've been going every other week for a big shop and once a week for fresh produce.

Well I gotta go the kids are groaning about being hungry.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 AM
FitDay Member

Superman was too funny. Did I forget to mention it serves about twelve. I freeze everything in two serving containers in the deep freezer. A large pot will do, though. When my son was in third grade he had to write about what it was like for his parents and he said that we cooked over a hearth (sp?). I died rolling. I had to school him that yes there were microwaves that came out when I was about 17. We had electric and dishwashers. It is amazing how many things have come about in just his lifetime; he will be 29. All we had besides outside play, board games and later pong or whatever it was called, was good old reading and other hobbies. I kind of wish kids would get back to that. Then they wouldn't be so boooooooooooored as they say and would learn to enhance things with their imaginations. Even my sons, finally, say they are getting too old for gaming. When did it become a sport????

BTW, here in WA, it doesn't know it is almost summer yet. This morning when I went to the commissary it was raining and about 55, so we are still getting the cool weather which is typical for here, but not this chilly. That's why I was thinking stew, but I can eat stew or soup anytime. When I was little there used to be a 4:00 movie that used to come on and I thought the movies were old movies--from the forties. Anyhow, when it rained, we would have soup and P$J sandwiches and watch the movie. Back on the train of thought of kids, I used to do a lot with my parents. I would watch TV with them, even though I had a TV in my room. We would go bowling on almost every weekend, to the drive-in, to amusement parks, etc, but then again, my mother was able to stop working when I was about four and that is often not a possibility these days. I couldn't do it. My eldest child (son) told me he didn't think that both parents should work and he is in the position that he can do that and get this, he is an X-ray tech and only works straight thru Friday thru Sunday. She quit her part-time job and is attempting to start a medical billing business from home. They aren't hurting, but can't splurge as they want to come up here, but can't fit it in the budget right now.

When I was little I didn't hear over and over about how my parents used to have to walk miles to school but my father wasn't allowed to go to the school that was nearest to him. My fourth grade teacher was one of his teachers. I think that sharing about your childhood, as a parent, as long as it isn't on and on, is worthwhile. It lets them know when they are old enough, why, in some cases you react the way you do. Why is it necessary to text while driving, in the case of my kids, when texting wasn't even around when they got their licenses at 16. Did they miss an important message then?

Anyway, I am going on again. Don't even remember how I started--oh Superman, still ha, ha. If it seems I go on about my kids, it's just because they are older and besides them and school, "ain't" much going on around here. Going to make a fake muschoo (sp?) pork tonight. I bought a hawaiin marinade--I know a lot of fructose and it was listed first, but I don't like the plum sauce they use. I have left over cabbage and I bought some small tortillas and will eat about two with mostly cabbage and see how that goes over with the old taste buds and satisfaction level. One good thing about all of this is that I am back, after years, in the mood to cook and am actually trying different things like I used to do with the kids and the hubby that you all talk about so much of the time and I don't mean that in a bad way. Wish I had one, but I am too stuck in my ways, but I was reading my Essence the other day and there was an article in there about his faults, but you have yours too. I know I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to stuck in my ways and if he didn't like pets or the fact that I am celibate by choice and through religion, well how far is it going anyway. TMI again, lol.

Last edited by Jaybrodz; 06-04-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default woo hoo for 2 pounds :)

had a rough week with work and missed posting and even loggin in for the last couple of days, after 11 hours on the computer at work, didn't want to look at another screen lol. we didn't even get to walk at work this week, between the rain and work load, but we all resolved to make the time today so feel better about that going into the weekend. one good thing, was to busy to eat so calories have been way under for the past three days, but what I did eat was healthy, (lots of fruit, yogurt and cottage cheese) and with a healthy weekend last week was off to a good start - can almost see the next decade, so that makes me doubly motivated.

congrats to all the other "losers" lol and thanks for all the receipes. I think it's great to teach your children to cook, my mom used to encourage me and love to cook and try new things. I think kids will eat more of a variety if the help to pick it out or prepare it.

skinny- so great to see you back- I feel so much better when I'm logging and coming here for support.

so emotionally, the ex has called again and don't know if I can go down that road again, but still love him and want my old life back - lol , but with the new me in it - determined no matter what happens will not ever go back to hiding in that fat girl. !!! I feel to good about myself now and the energy I have is amazing to me. I still get awed that I'm not sacked out on the couch tired and out of breath walking down the hall. now I have so much energy, I have to exercise just to release it lol

hope everyone has a great weekend
Old 06-04-2010, 01:08 PM
FitDay Member

There was a new young lady on here that wanted sites to go to other than this one and I said it was sparkle.com. The correct name is sparkpeople.com. Duh, I just tried to go to it. I have a page on there and I wanted to check it after a three year laps. Has it really been that long?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM
FitDay Member

Speedy - Sorry about your rough day - I definitely know the feeling since my job revolves around the computer mainly. In fact, you ladies are what usually keeps me sane at work by taking mental breaks to check in!

Jaynie - Your pork stew sounds really good. I make a good buffalo stew and chicken stew, but I'm always looking for ways to shake it up a bit. I think I may need to invest in one of those magic bullets. I've watched the infomercials for years and thought that if I could be sure it worked like it did, it would be a good investment. I take it you like yours?

Montana and Almeeker - Kudos to both of you for teaching your kids how to cook. Even though mine is only 16 months old, I'm trying to introduce him to healthy foods and encourage him to try new things. Sometimes more successful than others. But daycare almost always derails my best laid plans. The ladies that run his daycare are both over 350 pounds and make biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, full fat mac and cheese and pizza for the kids, not to mention they sit and snack on chips and let all the kids beg for them like dogs. Really upsets me and I've left instructions regarding the food he eats, but to no avail when of course he wants what all the other kids have. I would switch daycares, but we had a hard enough time finding this place (which is awesome in every other aspect) that fit within our budget and is within a mile of our house. But I digress...I hope the time he spends at home will be enough to teach him to make healthy choices.

Well, I gave in...a little. I was out at Sam's Club and they had soft serve ice cream cups for 97 cents as I was walking out. I got a small one, probably about a cup of soft serve. It satisfied my need for ice cream. Plus, I didn't eat anything at the graduation party tonight, so my super low calorie dinner at home makes up for the little splurge. Still at 1600 cals. And I'm feeling really good tonight because today was our first day of summer hours at work - we get off at 1 p.m. on Fridays if we take 1/2 hour lunches all week. So I got all my grocery shopping done and got a haircut...something I hadn't done in a year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.