Notices

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Old 05-28-2010, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

Morning everyone
This may be a challenging week for some of you with a long weekend. I always find summer so hard to stay on plan..I never used to realized I always gained weight in the summer. You would think with all the fresh veggies and fruit available to me this would not be the course. But, I find it easier to grab and go...and added to the fact Im less active in the summer...no schedule to follow all adds up to a gain. Not this summer...I plan to lose!!! Stress is still ongoing here..Im trying hard not to wallow in it...last night I went to the pottery studio to take my mind off things for awhile..it helped and by the time I got home I had a nice cup of tea and no snacking. Im back to my lowest weight and would really like to get to the 260's by end of June. Im working on it!!

Jaynie Im an *apple* as well....only Im working on my arm flap...I have *skinny* legs and they are one thing on my body that I actually like. Im so inspired by you!!! You are a couragous woman.
Almeeker and Erinn you two are machines at the gym!!!! It took me alot to start walking at the ymca without being intimadated....my next goal is to start on some of the machines. I have done the button test...didnt realize it had a name..haha.
Feeling better Montana?? if it dosnt stop soon I would be getting it checked out..take care
Erinn I think I know what planks are and have tried them...for such a simple exercise my god they are hard to do!! They sure work on your inner core though. And I did them on my knees!
4 pounds Eeb!!! yeah....
Speedy have a good weekend!!! I love cats myself and even though I cant have them in our rental I have 5 living around me...If they would come to me they would be very spoiled but they havnt figured that out yet..

Ok Im off to post the weekend challenge if anyone is interested....this weekend I will do better. Stress helps with not eating for me, I tend to do more housework.
We are doing this ladies!!!! lets keep going!!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Hello ladies!

Thank you all for the suggestions on fitting workouts into my very busy life. Almeeker - The ankle and wrist weights are a good idea - I will have to get some. At least it would add a little burn to whatever I'm doing already. And as far as working it into my job, I'll see what I can do, but I'm a grant writer for Girl Scouts = computer work almost all day. Although yesterday I volunteered to be out at one of our day camps, so I spent 9-5 running around after 75 kindergarten-3rd grade girls! Whew - glad I don't do that everyday!

So the good news is that I made my goal of losing 10 pounds in a month on Fitday! I was 225.4 yesterday on the scale, and I think I'm going to follow SkinnyE's method of weighing in everyday but only counting Thursdays. Because I weighed in today and I was 224, but I don't think that's a true loss, probably just from running around all day yesterday. Either way - my first 10 pounds! I celebrated a little last night, and although I know we all need to come up with non-food rewards, I decided that after a day of 75 girls and 10 pounds lost I could have a pint o' the good stuff at DH and I's favorite microbrewery last night, and boy, did it taste good!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default Tgif

happy Friday to all and looking forward to a healthy weekend. I borrowed a turck from work and plan on getting some much and stone to do the front yard- may take me longer than the weekend, but plan on getting the materials and starting it. lol - maybe you gardners have inspired me !

Jaynie- yes I love pets, I have two cats, one is almost twenty years old and still in good health. I also have a beagle and he is only three so still likes to be very active. He is my dog(a gift), but my boyfriend used to spend most of the day with him and he loves to be outside. It was one reason for my decision to change my life, my boyfriend and I broke up and I had to find a way to keep him active or find him another home, as that was not an option to me lol - couldn't/wouldn't give him up lol I made the decision to get healthy and now he is my walking buddy. It gets us both exercise and also time together that he needs.

happy memorial day weekend to everyone- have a great & healthy holiday.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning everybody and Happy Memorial Day weekend! I'm up, but none too happy about it. I haven't slept well in days, last night was especially bad. All three of my babies were up sleepwalking! I guess they are just as exhausted as mom. Being away from home is a stressful thing, but we're back now. Grans funeral was beautiful and tragic all at the same time. I'm still breaking down and crying out of the blue, but it's part of the grieving process, and I know the waves of sadness will get a little farther apart as time goes on. It was great to see the whole fam yesterday, Grans 86 year old sister came in from Boston with 2 of her 3 daughters. It was funny to hear them talk and watch the daughters fuss over Auntie. A real pair of mother hens those two. I had to really keep a lid on my emotions, my children are not used to seeing me cry and every time our youngest saw a tear in my eye, she burst into tears, the loud sobbing, gulping, snuffling kind....

I was 500-600 over budget yesterday with my calories, but most of the things I ate were on the healthy side, just too much of it and too many carbs. Is there a law somewhere that says a hotel continental breakfast must be 90% carbs and 10% fats? It seems there might be.... There must also be a law somewhere that says a buffet dinner must have fried chicken, butt fattening potato salad and huge gobs of full fat ranch dressing.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

Good afternoon everyone,

Haven't checked in for a day or two... you all amaze me. So strong and courageous. Congratulations to everyone for the great choices they are making in the face of stressful and saddening times.
Patti - Congrats on finding something to do (other than eating) to blow off steam. I bet it feels great to know you desire those other options.
Egm - it makes it easier for me to stay sane if I just count one day, though as of RIGHT NOW, I am down to 260... man I hope to hit that decade mark by Thursday... I am getting closer and closer to the weight it says on my license.

There were others I wanted to comment on as well... I will when I get back from work, I just couldn't run off without connecting with you guys. You keep me strong and focused throughout my days.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Ladies!

Patti - A pottery hobby sounds like lots of fun and a great way to relieve stress. I wonder what others of us do besides exercise to get away from it all?

Speedy - That's awesome that you got healthy for your dog! DH and I adopted a dog about 3 years ago so we'd have a running/walking buddy, but we got the wrong kind of dog for that - she's much more content to laze around!

Almeeker - I'm glad your Grandma's funeral went ok, I knew it was going to be stressful for you but it sounds like you handled yourself well in spite of the full fat ranch dressing and continental breakfasts! I'm always astounded watching other people eat at hotel breakfasts. I feel like saying, "If you were at home, would you pile your breakfast plate with a muffin, a bagel, some toast, AND some cereal?" If you're lucky, there might be some peanut butter or a hard boiled egg, but if you want protein, milk is usually the only thing there!

Skinny - I'm sending "decade vibes" your way - I know you can do that by Thursday! You're bound to have a good week this week after your last week anyway!

I'm doing pretty well so far this weekend. I went to a friend's housewarming party today and I've realized that having my son with me at social events is a great deterrent to eat! He had some cheese and crackers and fruit and a little bit of cake, and I only had a Diet Pepsi! I ate a healthy lunch before we left, so I skipped all sweet treats and all finger foods! Woo hoo! Saturday is usually the day I have a little time to put together a nice dinner, so tonight we're having turkey meatloaf (made with 97% lean turkey), roasted fingerling potatoes, and fresh picked asparagus from the pasture across our lane. Yum!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:35 PM
FitDay Member

Hi all, I'm new to this site so thought i'd stop in and say hello to everyone. A little bit about me ... I have 135 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight I've been struggling with weight issues for about 15 years. Over the last year I've gained 50 pounds due to stress of a an illness in the family. The thing is I'm not an over eater and i mostly eat fairly healthy. My downfall is soda but after reading an article today on soda I'm giving it up which is easier said than done. I try to walk everyday but i'm finding trying to stay motivated really hard. I want my body back that i had when i was in the military. LOL I think that might be too much to ask but a girl can dream. Anyone have any really good tips for someone trying to lose 135 pounds?

Thanks
Twospirits
Old 05-29-2010, 11:38 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Twospirits
Anyone have any really good tips for someone trying to lose 135 pounds?
Welcome to the forum twospirts, and yes, I think all of us here on the 100 pound thread have good tips to offer. I think all of us would recommend logging your intake and activities here with extreme honesty, swap soda for water and then double the intake, get addicted to exercise, and probably you need to drop your carbs and up your proteins. How am I doing so far ladies? There is plenty more advice, but that's a good start right there.

I'm struggling this morning with self forgiveness. The last 2 days I was waaaayyy over budget calorie wise. Which is totally understandable given that Friday was my grandmother's funeral, and yesterday was my husband's birthday. But I look at my food log and I think it would have been so much easier to face today if I just hadn't eaten this, this and that. I just have to keep reminding myself that I dropped an egg, but there is no reason to drop the other 78.

patti, I love the pottery hobby idea. I used to do ceramics when I was a kid, but that place closed down. Ummm, I wonder if there is another place nearby? I'm going to look into that, thanks for the inspiration. I've been known to sew or knit to keep myself out of the food, but it's hard to face either in the summer. Now hands covered with wet mud sounds a good deal better for a summer hobby.

egmdobbs, turkey loaf eh? That actually sounds really yummy, I watched the McNeilly's make that the other day on TV, maybe I'll whip up a batch tomorrow when it rains. Glad to hear you're doing well this weekend, hopefully knowing you are doing so well will encourage me to do better. I too had some of the good stuff on Thursday night, we all sat around at the hotel and raised a glass to Grans.

skinny, I'm soooo cracking up about you working towards the weight on your driver's license! LOL too funny. When I was in college I went and got a "Driver's License Special" at a spa right before I went to the DMV for a new license. I came outta that spa looking so good that I had to carry a second piece of pictured ID around in my wallet for the next 8 years. Too funny. Maybe a new Driver's License picture should be one of our "goal weight" non-food rewards? Heaven knows a new picture couldn't be any worse than the one I have now, YIKES!!!

Speedy, I love it that you got active for the benefit of the dog. That is so sweet.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default morning everyone

having my coffee and checking in- love that so many of us are postng- keeps my motivated and provides some great smiles for me. everyone is so positive in spite of the setbacks or little detours from our goals. I took a little detour myself yesterday, but only in the exercise area - calories were actually a little lower, but instead of going to the park for a walk, my girlfriend invited me out to her father's house in the country. No one was home and he said we could use his hottub and deck. Wonderful, layed out in the sun and the cooled off in the water most of the afternoon, then had a cookout- made steak fajitas, but kept it mostly veggies grilled and one tortilla. I had not had my bathing suit on since last year and it slid right on, was almost too big lol last summer I had to squeeze into it - felt so great and with my tan actually felt like I looked good. non-scale victory !!! It also felt awsome to relax and de-stress, been so busy lately that always seems like I'm going and think my body need some time to just chill out.

eegmdobbs- love asparagus- got a new receipe and can use the frozen right out of the bag too - my girlfriend drizzels it with a small amount of olive oil, adds minced garlic, sea salt, and cracked pepper. tosses it and bakes it in the oven at 375 for about 25 minutes. It was delicious. I am thinking this summer I could also do this and put it on the grill - may have to adjust the time, but I bet it would work- anyone else grill asparagus?

goal today it to get my walk in this morning and my mulch this afternoon.

I hope everyone gets some time to relax and enjoy this weekend.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Twospirits
Hi all, I'm new to this site so thought i'd stop in and say hello to everyone. A little bit about me ... I have 135 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight I've been struggling with weight issues for about 15 years. Over the last year I've gained 50 pounds due to stress of a an illness in the family. The thing is I'm not an over eater and i mostly eat fairly healthy. My downfall is soda but after reading an article today on soda I'm giving it up which is easier said than done. I try to walk everyday but i'm finding trying to stay motivated really hard. I want my body back that i had when i was in the military. LOL I think that might be too much to ask but a girl can dream. Anyone have any really good tips for someone trying to lose 135 pounds?

Thanks
Twospirits
Welcome, Twospirits. We definitely have similar experiences; although, I don't know if you retired from the military as I did with seventeen years in because of a disability. I was a lifer and I don't know what age you are or how long you spent in that environmen, but I plan to get down to that size and it better be those dimensions, for the most part.

Originally, I think I had more than that to lose and my highest weight during another lifetime was 293.5 which meant that I weighed the equivalent of 313.5. That's a lot of weight to carry around on prosthethics. I am considering myself more successful this time because I have held this weight for a year until I was ready to hit it again and have just returned to Fitday. For me, with the diet and exercise, I have learned to start slow, especially if you are trying to lose the weights that we are. Start off with ten mins of exercise or walking and work your way up or go by distance and walk further each day that you do walk. I personally don't set goals that I know I cannot immediately meet. If you are just starting, you might want to workout three days a week and then increase. This is my second week and I haven't incorporated exercise yet, but when I do, I know that I can make a mile each day. I won't defeat myself, by saying I will walk two miles right off, because I know, I can't do that, but I can do it five days a week. Also because it is easier for me and cheaper than a tread; although I have one, I use Leslie Sasone's walking dvd, or whomever's. You can pop them in, do the warm up and be done ind no time and there can be no excuses like rain or whatever. (My tread is packed away in what used to be my weight room with all the furniture that had to be moved for the construction.)

I hope that helps, from someone who used to have to run in the military, but understands how it might be for you now. I guess you have read through the posts and honestly, I felt hesitant at first, but now I feel like one of the crowd. You will like it here. Also, we realize that each person is different. I've found that plans are not pushed. I am not even on a plan for the most part, except that I know that my body works better on 50 percent low GI carbs, 30 percent protein and 20 percent good fat, like Omega 3, Olive oil, etc. Someone, I can't recall mentioned that they had to have a certain amount of fat to lose and it caused me to take a look at my, I guess low fat plan and I realized that I wasn't getting enough good fat to fully help with digestion. I went out an bough extra virgin Olive oil, which I thought I didn't like, but my experience with it this time, has been great. I put about a teaspon on a cut up tomato and mix it with a garlic salt and basil mix. If I have left over tomato, I may do the same and add onion. Boy is that good at room temp and after it has been allowed to sit for awhile. I want to lose weight, but ultimately, I want to eat more healthfully. You have sodas. I used to have raids to the corner store, fast food, when I didn't eat healthy and other habits. Fast food is gone. I don't go to the corner store. I don't get up late at night and go to Safeway, so it is these little things that I count as improvements along with the weight loss. Some people can jump right in but there has been a lot of research that also says change things over time.

HOpe this helps with the motivation. YOu might be setting your sights too high.

Jaynie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.