Notices

First Day Here at FitDay

Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default First Day Here at FitDay

I woke up this morning and started to take all the warning signs in my life seriously for the first time. I am 45, 54 pounds above the weight I should be, I have high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, am starting to exhibit symptoms of type 2 diabetes, and have a family history of heart disease. This has been coming for a while, but this morning, for whatever reason, I heard the ticking of the bomb.

I have horrible habits. Both my job and my hobbies are sedentary. I have time to exercise, but have not been. I pay very little attention to what goes in my mouth. I feel stressed/anxious in the evenings and drink beer to alleviate it. Nothing makes leftover pizza look better than a six pack of beer. I probably consume 3,000+ calories after dinner most evenings.

I was not always fat. I was an athlete is school and had a good physique throughout my twenties. I would like to get back into shape - and not round either.

I found FitDay this morning for the first time and it looks like a great site. I hope I can be posting about my success story in 2011.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

Don't hope... Just do it!!! No, this is not a nike commercial but you know the things your doing is bad. You do not have to be perfect and lord knows most of us cheat from time to time. Have a couple beers on the weekend but set a goal to be good to your self during the week and try to do a little better on weekends. Try to journal your food and activities. Most of us here have the same bad habits as you and believe me, we just all want to do better and be healthy. We are all on your side and want you to do great.
I wish you good luck and keep us posted on how your doing.
Ed
Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 PM
FitDay Member

Every storm begins with a single drop of rain. You will be 54 pounds thinner 5 months from now!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the replies. We are in the outer banks of North Carolina this weekend, so eating out for every meal. I feel good about the menu selections I have made (well, except for breakfast on Saturday) but the portion sizes are over the top huge - and it's been so delicious....well, you know how it goes! At least we have been active between meals, so some of it is getting burned.

54 pounds in 5 months seems like a very aggressive program. I was looking at a year time line for that. I would love to get into the gym and lift weights, but I gave myself a shoulder impingement 2 weeks ago and I just can't do anything with my left arm right now. I have to stick to the treadmill and recumbent bike until it heals. And hiking these North Carolina sand dunes.