FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   2012 is the year of change - from 330 to 220 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/6042-2012-year-change-330-220-a.html)

thinkdavis 01-07-2012 01:34 PM

Well its been a week since my last update -- and unfortunately not much good news. I've stayed at 333 (same as before), and the needle hasn't moved.

BUT... I've realized why. Me, being stupid, was reading the wrong stat -- I kept reading calorie deficit, so always tried to stay at that number (and did, more or less). The problem is, I should have been reading NET CALORIES. Even after working out hard, I wasn't eating enough (though i wasn't hungry), so I think that stalled any weight loss.

Good thing I learned this early on into the journey, than 3 months away -- hopefully next weekend I'll have some actual weight loss to report

But on the good news, the last week i've managed to eat at home much more, make real food, and when eating out for lunch, make better choices. So far so good on that front!

mecompco 01-07-2012 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by thinkdavis (Post 67553)
Well its been a week since my last update -- and unfortunately not much good news. I've stayed at 333 (same as before), and the needle hasn't moved.

BUT... I've realized why. Me, being stupid, was reading the wrong stat -- I kept reading calorie deficit, so always tried to stay at that number (and did, more or less). The problem is, I should have been reading NET CALORIES. Even after working out hard, I wasn't eating enough (though i wasn't hungry), so I think that stalled any weight loss.

Good thing I learned this early on into the journey, than 3 months away -- hopefully next weekend I'll have some actual weight loss to report

But on the good news, the last week i've managed to eat at home much more, make real food, and when eating out for lunch, make better choices. So far so good on that front!

I'm having a little trouble following. If I understand correctly, your hypothesis for why you're not losing is that you've "only" been eating 3,000 calories and that if you eat more, you'll begin losing again?

Regards,
Michael

thinkdavis 01-08-2012 05:23 AM

Yeah that's basically right :D

I was looking at the past week, and some days when I'd go for a jog, gym, etc, I'd be -1600 Net Calories. While I'd be at my 3,000 daily, I wasn't taking into account that I burned a bunch of calories too. I think I was undereating

So I'm trying to get my NET calories at -1000/day, rather than necessarily be under my 3,000 calorie limit. (for those days when I exercise)

thinkdavis 01-21-2012 02:39 PM

So an update this week -- ended up having the flu for the better part of the week, which sucked... But the weigh in today puts me at 326.6... The flu helped on that, as I wasn't eating and keeping food down, but that's where I'm at.

I also picked up Biggest Loser game -- I'm going to try that and see how it works for getting active in the home.

My goal was to be at 323 by the end of this month. 10 days left, and 3 pounds to go!

mecompco 01-22-2012 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by thinkdavis (Post 69539)
So an update this week -- ended up having the flu for the better part of the week, which sucked... But the weigh in today puts me at 326.6... The flu helped on that, as I wasn't eating and keeping food down, but that's where I'm at.

I also picked up Biggest Loser game -- I'm going to try that and see how it works for getting active in the home.

My goal was to be at 323 by the end of this month. 10 days left, and 3 pounds to go!

Sorry to hear about the flu, but glad to see some pounds gone. Can't help but observe that (eating/digesting less calories due to illness = weight loss).

Hope you make your goal!

Regards,
Michael

thinkdavis 02-24-2012 04:03 PM

So I ended up dropping off this for the past month -- with the flu, it threw me off course, and then work exploded -- both pathetic excuses, I know. But onward and forward.

I have realized that I need to get a better grasp on a work/life balance -- when work gets crazy, I tend to work long hours, then come home and do nothing, instead of going outside. I'm working on turning this around, and dealing with stress by going for a jog/walk/gym instead... it feels better by the end of it all.

I'm now at about 326, so I'm off from my target (d'oh), and hoping to land at the 323 mark by the end of February (the weight I wanted to finish Jan at).

liquidlizard 03-02-2012 04:25 PM

I can relate to the work/life balance thing. I had a crazy Jan. with work, and my eating and excercise went way down hill. Spent most of Feb. feeling bad about it, just now getting my head on straight again. The extra work was all voluntary OT, it was nice to have the additional money but I need to keep my health a top priority.

thinkdavis 04-22-2012 05:55 PM

I somehow fell off the face of fitday for the past couple of months -- ended up buying a house, moving, etc, and work, all got in the way.

The good news is, now that I'm settled, I've recommitted to getting fit. I finally did what I've been putting off for so long too, and thats hire a personal trainer. I'm locked in for 10 weeks (as a start), and have already had my first session. My goal here is to not only have the ongoing accountability/motivation, but to also really learn how to exercise on my own.

The good news for all of this, is while my last post was late January, I'm down about 5 more pounds since then, to 323lbs. I have a long way to go, but excited to move forward.

mecompco 04-25-2012 01:57 AM

Glad to see you back, and on track! Veering off from time to time is to be expected as life comes at us, it is doing what we need to do to get back on course that is important. Keep doing what you're doing and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Michael

thinkdavis 05-12-2012 02:37 AM

As an update, I'm now at 318.5 -- down 14.5 since January. Most of that has been the last couple of months. Getting a personal trainer has been great, not only am I learning what I should be focusing my energy on in the gym, but it also holds me accountable to actually work out on a regular basis... eating better too.

It took a few weeks to even see a change after starting to work out, but noticed my clothings starting to feel a bit looser -- finally the scale caught up with what I've been doing.

With the weather getting a lot nicer, I'm planning on getting outside more bike riding, long walks, etc, on top of just hitting the gym.