Notices

The mens locker room at the gym...[rant]

Old 08-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default The mens locker room at the gym...[rant]

Maybe it's just me but it makes me feel uncomfortable when guys parade around naked in the locker room. I understand that that's where some of them get changed, but really? Can you be a little more discrete?

It's usually the older guys, probably in their 60's. I get it, they are at that stage of their life where they don't care it another guy sees their junk. But I don't want to see it and I don't think I'll ever reach a point in my life, even if i live to see a 100 that I'd want to see another guys junk in the locker room.

Well today I decided to get in the hot tub b/c I've been having some back issues. there's this guy getting out of the indoor pool (by the hot tub) heading to go out of that area. He's about my age, maybe late 30's. He sees me turn on the jets and get in the hot tub and he makes a u-turn to get in the hot tub. As he's getting in, he smiles at me. I've never seen this guy in my life, but guys will usually give you a head nod... not a smile. So I'm thinking WTF?!?!?! After about 5 minutes I get up, get out and grab my towel, shirt and phone and head into the locker room. Guess who's right the f$&% behind me? Yep, you guessed it. As soon as I got out, so did he. My luck has it the my locker is right by his. Out the corner of my eye I see him drop his shorts. I turn my back to him, grab my stuff and walk off to the shower.

Not only do I not want to see another guys sausage, I have no desire for guy to see mine. Maybe it's b/c I didn't play high school football and didn't have those locker room bonding moments, I don't know. Besides today, I have only gotten changed once at the gym in the past year and a 1/2. Today was like the last time, I grab a private shower, wash off and get changed in there.

Am I overreacting or do y'all also find it uncomfortable to be around naked guys in the locker room?

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-05-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Nope doesn't bother me. <insert big grin>
Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

lol. Maybe it is just me then. But seriously, are the women like that too at the gym?

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
FitDay Member

Eww..Eff that bro, homes was lookin' for a hookup, not cool
Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, his gay-dar must be broke.T b/c I sure as he'll wasn't putting off gay vibes. lol
Old 08-06-2011, 12:27 AM
FitDay Member

That's what happens when you are looking good! I feel the same about being naked in front of strangers or people I know in the change room however I can handle it. I'm looking forward to our new Y which will offer more privacy. And Yes there are naked women running around - or at least toweling off -- in the ladies change room. It would bother me the most if it was a client or the judge. In those cases I'd definately be changing in a stall. Mary
Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Yeah, his gay-dar must be broke.T b/c I sure as he'll wasn't putting off gay vibes. lol
Are you sure about that? Didn't you score an on-line proposal recently? Ooh, maybe it's the same guy?

In all seriousness I think it depends on how you were raised. I have two brothers, so we always changed behind closed doors, we all wore bathrobes over our pj's and I had my own room so all nakedness for changing my clothes was done in private. Believe me Jr. High gym was an extremely painful experience, and let's not even discuss playing on the girls volley ball team, or living on an all girls hall in a college dorm. I did get passed some of my nudity issues in college, after 4-5 years drawing live (naked) figure models, I realized that the human body is a beautiful thing and can be appreciated aesthetically on it's own without the sexuality factor. One of the favorite models had red hair and very pale skin. Under the studio lights her skin was fantastic, it sort of glowed or something, the shades and shadows over her were really fabulous and every time she modeled a master piece happened. Anyway I ran into her on the streets, and with clothing on she was actually quite homely and I didn't recognize her at first.

Our little DDs however have no modesty and are on the swim club to boot. When you wear a skin tight bathing suit in front of a crowd on a regular basis, any seed of modesty you might have naturally dies a quick and painless death. And yes in the Women's locker room it's the same, naked women some modest behind their towels and others standing naked in front of the full length mirror combing their hair. I've had naked women smile at me in the locker room, but it's never given me the eebie-jeebies. Women smile at each other in greeting all the time. Besides a women with kids probably isn't gay, possibly bi, but not gay.

You could get a fake wedding ring to wear to the gym, that at least says "taken".

Last edited by almeeker; 08-06-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I agree--public nudity is not good. What's up with the "smile"? That's just weird.

I also hate it when someone fails to adhere to proper Men's room urinal etiquette and takes one adjacent to you even though there are others available. Worse yet, they sometimes strike up a conversation--just wrong!

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
And yes in the Women's locker room it's the same, naked women some modest behind their towels and others standing naked in front of the full length mirror combing their hair. I've had naked women smile at me in the locker room, but it's never given me the eebie-jeebies. Women smile at each other in greeting all the time. Besides a women with kids probably isn't gay, possibly bi, but not gay.

You could get a fake wedding ring to wear to the gym, that at least says "taken".
Yeah, I see what you are saying. Trying to be "politically correct" I didn't want to turn this a gay vs straight thing but I think that's where women and men are different (or at least down here in Louisiana, I assume everywhere). You are right straight women will smile at each other with no intent. Hell, straight women will dance together and even touch each other (not talking sexually, but make person to person contact). Just as women and men can do all these things together and it may not be taken sexually, gay, straight, whatever. I'll walk by a female, make eye contact and smile, just to be friendly, nothing else. But usually if a guy makes eye contact with another guy (especially if they don't know each other) and smiles you can bet that the one smiling may be gay. Just as, you won't see two straight guys dancing together and you'll never see a straight guy rub his fingers through another guys hair b/c we don't make contact with another guy. Straight women can do that stuff all day.

As far as a fake wedding ring... if the guy was gay and trying to flirt I don't think a ring would help. IMO I'm obviously not gay (it's not like I walk around with a shirt stating it but you can usually tell by how someone carries them self). I don't think wearing a ring would change the image of myself. It's doesn't matter if I'm taken or not, I'm always off limits to any guy.

Disclaimer: This next statement may offend someone, but as it's been said before "I shoot from the hip".

I think if you have the b@lls to flirt with someone at the gym, especially of the same sex, you really don't care if they're taken.

I will say that the two times that I was married, I had more women flirt with me when I had my ring on than any other time in my life. I'm not talking about the way that men and women can smile at each other and it not mean anything either.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-06-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
I agree--public nudity is not good. What's up with the "smile"? That's just weird.

I also hate it when someone fails to adhere to proper Men's room urinal etiquette and takes one adjacent to you even though there are others available. Worse yet, they sometimes strike up a conversation--just wrong!

Regards,
Michael
oh yesssss! Man law, there should always be at least one empty urinal between you. If your at a bar and pissing in a troth you should be on opposite ends, but NOT facing each other. Look off in space, read the writing on the wall, what ever but your head should never go towards the other. Conversation is never allowed while standing next to another guy with your junk out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.