FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   Feeling good, but my knees not so much. (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/4682-feeling-good-but-my-knees-not-so-much.html)

bmkess 07-10-2011 07:56 AM

Feeling good, but my knees not so much.

Anyone have any suggestions to keep my knees from hurting? I've been walking (at a super fast pace) on an eliptical 5-6 days a week for 2 1/2 miles at a time. I enjoy doing this and it seems to be working well, but my knees have started to hurt. I don't want to stop, because I know what will happen if I do. I'm feeling great and I am starting to like going to the gym, but I need something for my knees. Thanks for the help!

ray2007 07-10-2011 08:02 AM

Maybe if you switch up and do other cardio exercises instead of always doing the eliptical trainer. Try swimming or maybe the bike and see if your knees start to feel better. Just a Thought

bmkess 07-10-2011 08:14 AM

My gym doesn't have a pool, and my bike sucks lol. I think I might do strength training every other day to keep my knees healthy.

bmkess 07-10-2011 08:14 AM

Does anyone have experience with knee braces? Like the thin ones that go over your tendon?

handcycle2005 07-10-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by bmkess (Post 50424)
My gym doesn't have a pool, and my bike sucks lol. I think I might do strength training every other day to keep my knees healthy.

Bingo. Weak quads are a common cause of knee problems as the quads stabilize the knee joint.

If you do use the bike, use a low resistance and pedal at a high (90-110) cadence.

rpmcduff 07-11-2011 06:17 AM

Switching up your workouts, using an exercise bike, and knee braces are all good ideas. You might also want to consider a glucosamine supplement. I don't use one personally but my 29 yr old son who job requires lots of walking on concrete and has knee pain does.

Badwoulf 07-12-2011 02:14 PM

I had alot of issues with my knees and through trial by fire and pain I have learned and adjusted. Firstly, working out will hurt the knees from time to time anyways and really it becomes a worry when it is debilitating. Second, I started doing compound strenght exercises such as a deadlifts and squats (adjusting weight and intensity accordingly) this really strenghtened up the muscles around my knees and they felt alot better. Thirdly, FOOTWEAR !!!! Agghhh haha this was my big problem, I now have the right shoes (thank you gait testing) and I have begun exercising in my barefeet (including running), this actually helped adjust my knee alignment and fall on effects it adjusted my hips. And lastly I just need to lose weight haha. That is all of my advice learned the hard way, thanks

Urbanmule 07-13-2011 02:26 PM

Maybe try some of those Dr. Scholls inserts for back and knee pain?