Notices

Chest Workout/Love Handles

Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM
FitDay Member

Default Chest Workout/Love Handles

Can anyone recommend me some useful chest workouts that will help tone me up? Also, I literally have a body like an hour glass and am in desperate need of some love handles work out. Google hasn't really helped me with my search.
Thanks!
ps- I only have two 10 lb dumbells.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

I can't think of many chest workouts that you can do with 10# dumbbells. Have you tried different pushups?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:51 PM
FitDay Member

Yeah kind of. I don't do many pushups because I get discouraged when I only do like 5. I guess it's not the right attitude to have.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
FitDay Member

How many repetitions do you plan on doing? As far as I understood, if you want to gain muscles (=toning?) one should be aiming for 5-12 repetitions.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

X2 on the push ups. I do 2 sets of 25 almost everyday.

Unfortunately it seems like the midsection is the last to lose the fat. I think any bodyweight core workout can help. Burpees are a great one!
Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 AM
FitDay Member

There really are few chest exercises that you can do that are better for you than good old pushups. If you can only do 5 that is fine, just make yourself do 5 sets of 5! or 5 sets of as many as you can do. After doing that for a few days, try to push 3 sets to 7 or 8 and then do that until you can do 5 sets. Then 3 sets of 10-12, etc. As with anything else you have to let yourself build up to it. If you progressively add more pushups and more sets, though it may seem to come slowly, you will be doing a great chest workout. Then as you build that upper body strength you can move your hands in and out to really focus different areas. You know how people are in love with p90x these days? It is a great workout and i've had a number of friends who have done it. (I'm still far too out of shape) but the "chest and back" dvd, is basically nothing but push ups and pull ups, over and over. Using your own body for resistance is incredibly effective. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

If you are comfortable doing a few pushups, you can try adding a twist to them. Do a normal pushup and are at the top of the pushup, keep one hand on the floor but raise the other hand/arm and twist so that you have one hand on the floor and the other hand up toward the ceiling. You can google "t-pushup" for description. Good oblique/love handle toning. If you have hexagon dumbells you can also work up into using these. If you try it with round dumbells, you may quickly realize you have a new extra dumbell in the room
Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fattypapa
It is a great workout and i've had a number of friends who have done it. (I'm still far too out of shape) but the "chest and back" dvd, is basically nothing but push ups and pull ups, over and over. Using your own body for resistance is incredibly effective.
I've done p90X and there are a ton of different way to do pushups, and some REALLY hurt.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ThatCollinKid
Yeah kind of. I don't do many pushups because I get discouraged when I only do like 5. I guess it's not the right attitude to have.
You might want to try them on an incline so you can do a bit more (placing your hands on a low table or something sturdy). That's what I did when I started. I followed the plan on one hundred push ups

I couldn't even do ONE regular pushup when I started, but now I can do over 10 (after just 5 weeks or so). Of course as you lose weight, you'll have less to "lift" too.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by travbrad
You might want to try them on an incline so you can do a bit more (placing your hands on a low table or something sturdy). That's what I did when I started. I followed the plan on one hundred push ups

I couldn't even do ONE regular pushup when I started, but now I can do over 10 (after just 5 weeks or so). Of course as you lose weight, you'll have less to "lift" too.
Yep! I started doing them on my bench and gradually was able to do standard ones. I actually prefer about 6-12 inches off the ground using grips because my hands were getting sore plus I can change up my grips to do close hand, spiderman, etc.

I do 25-50 almost everyday. I have pretty strong shoulder definition thanks to the push ups. I'm a 5'2" girl btw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.