Notices

Introduction/Accountability/Motivation

Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Introduction/Accountability/Motivation

Hello all, I had this sight recommended by a friend a few months ago and have decided to get going.

A bit of my story, I am 27 years old, 5'8", and 273 lbs as of this morning. I have always gravitated towards being overweight but kept it under control with sports in high school, and then completely controlled it during my time in the Marine Corps. After getting out of the Marines, however, I seem to have overindulged in my new found freedoms. I have fought with too much depression and anxiety as a result of this weight, and I am determined to change my lifestyle and get healthy. I have a 7 month old 15 lb. bundle of joy and motivation to help keep me going as well, and I am bound and determined to be here for her for as long as I can be, which will not be the case if I continue to gain weight at the pace I have been over the last few years. I will use this thread for updates to stay accountable to myself and any others who are interested in following along.

I have read a number of your stories and hope that mine will help to inspire others just as yours have for me!

edit: My plan is simple, 1500 calories a day, 20-30 minutes on the eliptical 4-5 times a week until the snow is gone, then hitting the pavement.

Last edited by fattypapa; 01-14-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

hey man, i'm right here with you. i've really let myself go and i'm determined to get healthy for my little girl. but, i have decided that i'm also doing this for me. i need this. and the past couple days, even though i have been dieting, i have felt better for having discipline than i do most days when i eat whatever i want and feel like crap. so i'm of the mind set right now that i can't imagine going back because it doesn't even make me feel better in the short run. good luck! i'll hold you accountable and you do the same to me. deal?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by fattypapa
Hello all, I had this sight recommended by a friend a few months ago and have decided to get going.

A bit of my story, I am 27 years old, 5'8", and 273 lbs as of this morning. I have always gravitated towards being overweight but kept it under control with sports in high school, and then completely controlled it during my time in the Marine Corps. After getting out of the Marines, however, I seem to have overindulged in my new found freedoms. I have fought with too much depression and anxiety as a result of this weight, and I am determined to change my lifestyle and get healthy. I have a 7 month old 15 lb. bundle of joy and motivation to help keep me going as well, and I am bound and determined to be here for her for as long as I can be, which will not be the case if I continue to gain weight at the pace I have been over the last few years. I will use this thread for updates to stay accountable to myself and any others who are interested in following along.

I have read a number of your stories and hope that mine will help to inspire others just as yours have for me!

edit: My plan is simple, 1500 calories a day, 20-30 minutes on the eliptical 4-5 times a week until the snow is gone, then hitting the pavement.
Welcome! You're wise to nip this problem now, rather than let it get WAY out of control like I did.

I'll tell you, I find 1500 calories is a pretty comfortable level given the "right" food choices.

If you stick to your plan, I guarantee that weight will peel off faster than a twenty round mag through a 16.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-16-2011, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the replies and support guys, it is much appreciated. 20 minutes on the elliptical yesterday, 30 today, a bit rough at the end but feeling good now!

mch - i see very quickly what you mean, the positive feelings of discipline and accomplishment are so far vastly outweighing any desire for more food or 'junk' food. To be honest it has been so easy these first few days that I feel a bit ridiculous for letting it go so long.

mecompo - I am glad I'm getting on it now as well, it is so easy to not worry about a single 5 lb gain, then the 5 lb gains just come over and over and all the sudden I'm 100 lbs over where I want to be, and given a few more years it could easily be multiples of that.

Thanks again guys, and keep on keeping on, its amazing how eating less and moving more works so well huh?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

Update:

Two weeks in and down 14 lbs! Too bad that pace can't keep up forever or this would be quick and easy. I have felt very good with the workouts though, running on the elliptical has been getting easier very quickly and have had a few planned 30 min. runs turn into 60 min runs just because I was feeling so good. I have been working in the CardioX dvd from p90x as well and that is a great workout when you are carrying around a bunch of extra weight, completely slays me but I feel great afterwards. I don't think I've been under 250 for a few years so I'm excited to break that level, we'll see how long it takes!

Good luck everyone!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Great job, and congrats on getting into the 250s so quickly!

Yeah, that pace will drop off a bit, but you may be pleasantly surprised at what the average rate remains. I'm still averaging around 3lbs a week even after nine months on 1500 cals.

Oh, and I'm envious of your exercise--that is probably my biggest hurdle right now. My work-week walks are great and we've had enough snow to provide some good snowblower/shovel workouts but I really need to stop talking about it and start lifting.

Keep on keepin' on!

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fattypapa
I have been working in the CardioX dvd from p90x as well and that is a great workout when you are carrying around a bunch of extra weight, completely slays me but I feel great afterwards.
Superman, banana, Superman, banana drives me nuts!