FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   Help!!!!!!! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/2876-help.html)

fynetae 01-05-2011 03:08 PM

Help!!!!!!!

Okay so I just got done watching "I Used To Be FAT" on MTV and the girl lost 90 pounds in 89 days...

I was proud of her but I got emotional because I want that to be me, But I cant get to a gym nor I can't get a personal trainer.

So now I'm in here questioning myself is it really possible to lose that much weight at home doin cardio. I usually do 45 minutes a day but after watching this show I don't think its enough. They didn't say how long she worked out at the gym but I know it was longer than 45 minutes...

I must admit I am a little teary eye'd while typing this... I just started monday and I feel like giving up. Cause I know I can't do what she did. :(

I'm doing the April Challenge which I admit that is somewhat motivating me... But I must be honest to myself and u guys I feel like quitting.

Bluedog72 01-05-2011 05:15 PM

Right now you have a choice......do I quit? or do I persevere?
How will you feel in 6 months looking back if you decide to quit?
What about if you don't quit and look back in 6 months from a 50~60lb lighter body?
Which one of those points of view do you want to be coming from?

Those six months are going to sail right on by no matter what you do, and when they are gone, they are gone. You can't change that, but you can change the person you will be once they're gone.
Everything you need to lose weight is right here on this web site, all you need to do is do it.
Figure out your BMR, log everything you eat, tweak your diet until you are running at a caloric deficit and get a sweat on every chance you get.
If you cant get to a gym, walk, do push ups, sit ups, crunches, jumping jacks, dance, jump rope, swim......whatever it is you enjoy and that burns up calories. A broom handle with a couple of 5 litre bottles of water on each end makes a very rough, but very functional barbell. Buy a tennis ball, find a wall and play solo handball for a half hour each day...anything, just MOVE!.
Don't sit and watch MTV from your couch...watch it while doing pushups and crunches every add break.
Don't focus on what you can't do, look at what you CAN do....adapt, improvise and overcome....work with what is available, don't not work because the very best gear isn't readily accessible.
In six months you will be glad you went to the effort.

Otherwise, kick back, slack off, pig out, quit and look back in six months at how you blew a great chance to better yourself.....the choice is entirely yours to make. :)

Good luck fynetae, you CAN do this, all that is required is for you to want it badly enough. All that is stopping you are your own self doubts or lack of commitment. You owe it to yourself and no one else can do it for you.
Head down, bum up and go hard, the results will be worth the effort. They are also proportionate....max effort equals big results, little to no effort equals zero results.
Your move.
Choose. How do you want to feel about yourself in 6 months time?
Now get off your butt and do something about it! :)

BD

PS. 90lb in 90 days is not a realistic goal or a healthy rate to lose weight....~2lb/week is closer to what you should be aiming for. You didn't gain weight at a pound a day, don't expect it to fall off at that rate.

mecompco 01-05-2011 08:29 PM

Bluedog is right--you (and me) didn't get this way in 90 days and we're probably not going to solve the problem in 90 days. But, if you work it, it can happen pretty quickly.

Hey, in May I weighed way over 400 pounds--now I'm under 300. I did NO exercise the first few months (couldn't, really) and up to this point walking 20 minutes a day is what I do.

I don't have a personal trainer, a gym membership or a personal chef. I have a free FitDay account and a (IMHO) reasonable eating plan.

No one can MAKE you stick with this, but I sure hope you do. The results will come and you'll feel so much better.

Let us know how you're making out. I think most folks quit do to trying to stick to an unrealistic plan (or not having a plan).

Regards,
Michael

kcolville 01-06-2011 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bluedog72 (Post 30704)
What about if you don't quit and look back in 6 months from a 50~60lb lighter body?

Those six months are going to sail right on by no matter what you do, and when they are gone, they are gone. You can't change that, but you can change the person you will be once they're gone.
Everything you need to lose weight is right here on this web site, all you need to do is do it.
Figure out your BMR, log everything you eat, tweak your diet until you are running at a caloric deficit and get a sweat on every chance you get.
If you cant get to a gym, walk, do push ups, sit ups, crunches, jumping jacks, dance, jump rope, swim......whatever it is you enjoy and that burns up calories. A broom handle with a couple of 5 litre bottles of water on each end makes a very rough, but very functional barbell. Buy a tennis ball, find a wall and play solo handball for a half hour each day...anything, just MOVE!.
Don't sit and watch MTV from your couch...watch it while doing pushups and crunches every add break.
Don't focus on what you can't do, look at what you CAN do....adapt, improvise and overcome....work with what is available, don't not work because the very best gear isn't readily accessible.

Otherwise, kick back, slack off, pig out, quit and look back in six months at how you blew a great chance to better yourself.....the choice is entirely yours to make. :)

Good luck fynetae, you CAN do this, all that is required is for you to want it badly enough. All that is stopping you are your own self doubts or lack of commitment. You owe it to yourself and no one else can do it for you.
Head down, bum up and go hard, the results will be worth the effort. They are also proportionate....max effort equals big results, little to no effort equals zero results.
Your move.

BD

PS. 90lb in 90 days is not a realistic goal or a healthy rate to lose weight....~2lb/week is closer to what you should be aiming for. You didn't gain weight at a pound a day, don't expect it to fall off at that rate.

Wow. great words. firm but great.

MollySue2 01-06-2011 01:07 AM

Hear, hear, bluedog!
I feel like you gave me a kick in the butt, too, lol!!
There's a saying that goes in line with what bluedog said:

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to achieve it. The time will pass anyway."

Best of luck!

You CAN do it!

fynetae 01-06-2011 03:07 AM

I THANK all of you oh so very much!!!
Idk what I was going threw yesterday, But now I am up and about to go do my cardio! :)

Bluedog72 01-06-2011 03:45 PM

Thats the spirit!!
Good for you Fyn, just stick at it and tackle each day as it comes mate.
Before you know it the pounds and inches will melt off and you will be here posting about how it's starting to get expensive buying a new wardrobe :)
On that note, a tip for you.....if you are in this for the long haul, hold off a bit on buying new clothes, they'll only fit for a few weeks anyway before you have to go get another set a size smaller....great for the self esteem and ego, not so good for the hip pocket :)

BD

PS I apologize if my post came across as being blunt or rude, I didn't intend any offence.
I face the very same dilemma every single day, and ask myself those same questions.
I don't know how to put my stats as a signature, but just so you don't think I am giving advice on a subject I know nothing about......

When I started this back in May 2010, I weighed 160kg (355 lb) plus, the scales maxed out at 160 so I have no real idea what my true weight was.
It took a good few weeks before I saw '159.x' appear on the readout, I know that much.
This morning the scales read 133kg (292lb).....just on 7 months in and I'm down by 30kg or so. Not exactly earth shatteringly awesome weight loss, nothing like as impressive as some of the folks on this board can lay claim to and I have a long way to go yet, but it does go to show what can happen if you just stick to it and keep going. Approx. 4~5 kg or roughly 10lb per month is very achievable.
I have been where you are, I know how you feel and I know it seems a very daunting task to take on, but with persistence comes pay off. You CAN do it!

fynetae 01-06-2011 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bluedog72 (Post 30933)
Thats the spirit!!
Good for you Fyn, just stick at it and tackle each day as it comes mate.
Before you know it the pounds and inches will melt off and you will be here posting about how it's starting to get expensive buying a new wardrobe :)
On that note, a tip for you.....if you are in this for the long haul, hold off a bit on buying new clothes, they'll only fit for a few weeks anyway before you have to go get another set a size smaller....great for the self esteem and ego, not so good for the hip pocket :)

BD

PS I apologize if my post came across as being blunt or rude, I didn't intend any offence.
I face the very same dilemma every single day, and ask myself those same questions.
I don't know how to put my stats as a signature, but just so you don't think I am giving advice on a subject I know nothing about......

When I started this back in May 2010, I weighed 160kg (355 lb) plus, the scales maxed out at 160 so I have no real idea what my true weight was.
It took a good few weeks before I saw '159.x' appear on the readout, I know that much.
This morning the scales read 133kg (292lb).....just on 7 months in and I'm down by 30kg or so. Not exactly earth shatteringly awesome weight loss, nothing like as impressive as some of the folks on this board can lay claim to and I have a long way to go yet, but it does go to show what can happen if you just stick to it and keep going. Approx. 4~5 kg or roughly 10lb per month is very achievable.
I have been where you are, I know how you feel and I know it seems a very daunting task to take on, but with persistence comes pay off. You CAN do it!

BD No apologies needed...
That is the kind of tough love I need...
I realize everyone on this site is here for the same reason as me...
We are all here to be each others back bone...
We are all in this race together and I REFUSE to be left behind...
I just personally want to THANK YOU!!! ^_^

mecompco 01-07-2011 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bluedog72 (Post 30933)

Yup, I've kinda slowed down a bit but I've got clothes from 8x down to Medium. I had to buy a few 4x shirts but bascially I just go "closet shopping" every month or so. I did have to buy some jeans--anyone needs some size 60s? :eek:

You can get some good deals on eBay. Once you've lost more weight, resell them to recoup some money.

I love being in the 2x-3x range now--I can actually buy clothes locally (Wally World) instead of the "fat guy" store or on-line.

Keep the faith, brother!

Regards,
Michael

fynetae 01-07-2011 03:04 AM

Yea I wear 3x right now...
I wanna get down to L or XL...
Then wear the lil cartoon character draws/boxers (I know thats TMI but sorry)

mecompco 01-07-2011 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by fynetae (Post 30990)
Yea I wear 3x right now...
I wanna get down to L or XL...
Then wear the lil cartoon character draws/boxers (I know thats TMI but sorry)

Haha--I think I have some size L SpongeBob Squarepants boxers around somewhere :D

Anywho--yeah, 3x isn't bad--actually right now my chest is around a 2x and my belly is 3x so some things fit kinda funny. I'm hoping my belly catches up at some point, but that's where most of my fat gravitates towards, so we'll see.

I'm really hoping to get down to XL for the summer--I have a ton of XL and L clothes from before I started climbing back up the fat ladder.

Have a good day!

Regards,
Michael

01gt4.6 01-07-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bluedog72 (Post 30704)

Your move.

BD

as stated before, AWESOME POST!!!! Straight forward, honest and from the heart. It doesn't get much better that that!

fynetae 01-08-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 30995)
Haha--I think I have some size L SpongeBob Squarepants boxers around somewhere :D

Anywho--yeah, 3x isn't bad--actually right now my chest is around a 2x and my belly is 3x so some things fit kinda funny. I'm hoping my belly catches up at some point, but that's where most of my fat gravitates towards, so we'll see.

I'm really hoping to get down to XL for the summer--I have a ton of XL and L clothes from before I started climbing back up the fat ladder.

Have a good day!

Regards,
Michael

I don't even remember wearing a L or XL I swear I jumped from M to 2x... I've been chunky all my life so it's gonna feel good to go in a store that I always dreamed of wearing they're clothes and pic out something smaller then a 2x!!!! :D