FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   Losing Weight Faster Than I Thought Possible (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/270-losing-weight-faster-than-i-thought-possible.html)

stocky1 07-21-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken (Post 16397)
Watch who you accuse of wiki-ing. Fat is utilized as energy in three different ways.

Direct quotes from Human Physiology, 10th Ed. by Widmaier, Raff, & Strang, Pub. 2006, "Ch. 16 - Regulation of Organic Metabolism and Energy Balance:"

Gluconeogenesis
"The 180 g of glucose per day produced by gluconeogenesis in the liver (and kidneys) during fasting supplies 720kcal of energy. Normal total energy expenditure for and average adult is 1500 - 3000 kcal/day. Therefore gluconeogenesis cannot supply all the body's energy needs."

Which leads us to...

Fatty Acid Metabolism
"Now we focus on the liberated fatty acids, which circulate bound to plasma albumin. (Despite this binding to protein, they are known as free fatty acids because they are "free" of glycerol). The circulating fatty acids are taken up and metabolized by almost all tissues, excluding the nervous system. They provide energy in two ways: (1) they first undergo beta-oxidation to yield hydrogen atoms, which go on to oxidative phosphorylation, and (2) acetyl-CoA, which enters the Krebs cycle and is catabolized to CO2 and water."

"The liver is unique, however, in that most of the acetyl-CoA it forms from fatty acids does not enter the Krebs cycle but is processed into three compounds collectively called ketones. Ketones are released into the blood and provide an important energy source for the many tissues, including the brain, capable of oxidizing them via the Krebs cycle."

"The net result of fatty acid and ketone utilization during fasting is the provision of energy for the body and sparing of glucose for the brain. Moreover, as just emphasized, the brain can use ketones for an energy source, and it does so increasingly as ketones build up in the blood during the first few days of a fast. The survival value of this phenomenon is significant: when the brain reduces its glucose requirement by utilizing ketones, much less protein breakdown is required to supply amino acids for gluconeogenesis. Accordingly, the protein stores will last longer, and the ability to withstand a long fast without serious tissue damage is enhanced."

A substantial caloric deficit during fat loss can be interpreted by a body as a fast or partial fast, throwing it into ketogenesis. This process is a survival mechanism, and as I said before, unless you have some serious, uncontrolled pathological condition that would prevent the above from happening, you aren't in any serious danger from your subsequent rapid weight loss.

Sorry for the long physiology lesson, but this should help everyone all around get a better picture of how ketogenesis really works in the body.

100% correct, right there.

4sdowns 07-23-2010 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by farr1022 (Post 1828)
I started Fitday and my diet/excercise routine on 1/6 and weighed in at 261. This morning I weighed 248.4. I am not complaining but it seems too fast and I really hope I can sustain it.

Anyone else take off a big chunk of weight when they first started?

I started at 235 and dropped to 200 in three months. Then my body said no more! From then on it has been HARD WORK. When you are significantly overweight you have no idea how many calories it takes to maintain that size. So when you diet, your calorie restriction is way more than you imagine and the weight falls off. Enjoy the huge change while it lasts and no that there will come a time when the beatings must begin :)

midwestj 07-23-2010 06:55 AM

I also read in numerous places that large initial losses can be attributed to burning up your glycogen stores as glycogen is made up of mostly water. As much as 10 to 15 lbs could be attributed to the lost glycogen, so no real body fat has been lost yet. Once an exercise routine is halted the body will restore the lost glycogen and the weight will be gained back. This is what many short term commitment dieters experience and can be disheartening when the weight so quickly comes back. One way to know that your weight loss is body fat: take body measurements.

tandoorichicken 07-23-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by midwestj (Post 16611)
I also read in numerous places that large initial losses can be attributed to burning up your glycogen stores as glycogen is made up of mostly water. As much as 10 to 15 lbs could be attributed to the lost glycogen, so no real body fat has been lost yet. Once an exercise routine is halted the body will restore the lost glycogen and the weight will be gained back. This is what many short term commitment dieters experience and can be disheartening when the weight so quickly comes back.

Glycogen isn't made up of mostly water; it holds on to a lot of water because of its structure. Glycogen is basically a whole lot of glucose molecules strung together like beads, but it also has branches in random places that create a lot of empty space. Because of osmosis, water likes to fill up this space.

The body starts to replenish the depleted glycogen immediately after you eat your next meal, after coming back from the gym. Glycogen does not remain depleted just because you work out every day. If this were the case, you simply would not be able to work out every day, since glycogen is the main muscular fuel burned during exercise.

It's unlikely that glycogen breakdown is the major cause of weight reduction just due to calorie restriction. A lot of fat will come off at the outset if you have a lot to lose. The reason the body burns fat at rest is because it is a much more efficient fuel source. If we remember that fat has 9 kcal/g and glycogen has only 4, we can see that the body would have to burn through more than double the amount of glycogen compared to fat to maintain the same BMR.

Also, I'd like to point out that 10lbs of water loss isn't a negative thing at all. That's 10lbs less wear and tear on the joints, which is just another problem of overweight.

midwestj 07-23-2010 03:54 PM

I'm sorry I guess what I said is kind of misleading. Heres a good article explaining it better:

exercise | weight loss | fat

Rcht 09-07-2010 06:39 AM

There are a couple of ways to balance the PH level issues with rapid weight loss and PH levels in general.

One is to make sure to take apple cider vinegar daily.
Lemon juice form fresh lemons daily.
Black Strap molasses.
Increase yogurt intake.
Lots of water!

They have done wonders for me on many levels! So I talk a lot about them.

Search them and and find out if they are good ideas for you.

Originally Posted by joshuam168 (Post 16250)
I would be careful about very rapid weight loss. If it is all fat you are losing it can be bad. The reason the recommended weight loss is 2 lbs. per week. is because the chemical breakdown of fat causes ketones to be released in your body. Now, with a small amount of ketones your body can excrete them without harm. But, if you breakdown a lot of fat, and thereby release many ketones, they can build up in your bloodstream and cause ketoacidosis, which is basically your blood Ph has become too acidic. Ketoacidosis is not a good thing, which is why we all need to be careful. However, some people can lose lots of fat and have no problem, everyones different. And if you do have ketoacidosis you will know, your gona feel like crap. So don't worry that you have it;)

Devansh21 06-21-2021 09:08 PM

I was struggling with my heavy body weight 80 Kgs, When I started to using lean+ capsules along with my regular diet and exercise for the last 45 days and I lost 10 Kgs. Really Its Working!!

Very interesting and very helpful!

singhgurlal 03-06-2023 09:07 PM

If you do not have time for gym or money for expensive diet, then you can include some such habits in your routine, which can help in reducing the weight of your whole body in some days. The biggest thing is that for this you do not need to do anything extra. These are things that you can easily do on a daily basis. For this please click on "How to lose weight in a month"

SymonLI444 04-30-2023 09:26 PM

And I realized one thing. To lose weight you have to stop eating. Then it works. At least that's how it works for me.

crawfo82 05-05-2023 06:30 AM

Congrats! I've found that three things to get quick (and permanent) results are
1. Drink a lot of water everyday,throughout the day
2. Eliminate, as much as possible, refined sugar. This specifically includes soft drinks and most sweets
3. Eliminate, or greatly restrict, alcohol intake. The alcohol breaks down to sugar...see #2.