Notices

Splits or full Body workouts

Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by midwestj
How do you do your HIIT? I have found it most effective on a stationary cycle.

To increase intensity I increase the resistance, and keep my revolutions the same (80-100.)

Rest intervals are like 60-75 watts, and working intervals are about 400-500.

The bike has the lowest impact and can switch between resistances almost instantly. Many people use treadmills but they have the delay in change of speeds, and also most treadmills cannot go as fast as your "max" intensity. Most go to about 9 mph and most men can sprint faster than that.

Once they freeze the rinks here, I won't even use the bike I'll just play hockey!
Im doing it on the treadmill. I can sprint at 7-9 mph and get my heartrate up to like 140 bpm for 1 min sprints after warmup. Then I will walk jog at 4-4.8 for a cooldown to about 120-122 bpm. Then blast off again for a minute or so, then slower for aminute or so and so on for 25-30 min.

Ill do that until i cant get my heartrate up to the 80-85% max. I got burned out on the bike so I can tolorate this for now.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 AM
FitDay Member

Man am I glad I found this thread. I was about to give up on the forums here because it seemed everyone was starving themselves and doing curls! lol I wondered if anyone did deads or squats, etc.

Myself I need to lose about 20 lbs. My strength isn't the problem, it's the eating of glorious, wonderful, sweet carbs that gets me, especially lateer in the day. I'm a recent convert of Joe Defranco's style of training and it's nice to not do high volume stuff, but still concentrate on chin ups, deads, bench, sled pulling, and other fun stuff.

I must say though, doing chins with a weighted backpack, now thats hardcore man.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM
FitDay Member

Do any of you here use a rowing machine? I'm rather new to it but the no impact aspect of it along with how hard it is seems to make it a good option.

I don't have acess to any other cardio equipment as we only have weights and that at work.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tlhfirelion
Man am I glad I found this thread. I was about to give up on the forums here because it seemed everyone was starving themselves and doing curls! lol I wondered if anyone did deads or squats, etc.

Myself I need to lose about 20 lbs. My strength isn't the problem, it's the eating of glorious, wonderful, sweet carbs that gets me, especially lateer in the day. I'm a recent convert of Joe Defranco's style of training and it's nice to not do high volume stuff, but still concentrate on chin ups, deads, bench, sled pulling, and other fun stuff.

I must say though, doing chins with a weighted backpack, now thats hardcore man.
I was getting stares Monday when I was doing chins w/ 70#'s hanging from a chain. The funny thing is that the chain itself weights ~3 pounds.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM
FitDay Member

I do 30 minutes of strength work in the morning and 30 to 45 minutes of HIIT work at night. my routine looks something like this.
day 1
am pull ups, 3x20 body weight or 5x5 with added weight
pushups on rings, 3x20 with added weight or 5x5 archer pushups
step ups, 3x20 or 5x5 max weight
pm 30 min of sprints on my rollers
day 2
am overhead press 3x20 or 5x5 handstand pushups
ring rows 3x20 or 5x5 with added weight
goodmornings 3x20 or 5x5 goodmornings with max weight pm 30 min of sprints on my rollers
day 3
ring dips 3x20 or 5x5 bulgarian ring dips
high pulls 3x20 or 5x5 inverted ring rows
step ups, 3x20 or 5x5 max weight
pm 30 min of sprints on my rollers
day 4
long bike ride 2 to 3 hours
I don't have access to a squat rack other wise I'd be doing squats and deadlifts. I'm also preparing to do some centuries and half centuries this summer.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:15 AM
FitDay Member

I prefer full body workouts, 3 days a week. All compound movements. You'll notice that Squats and Bench are essential. I just completed my first week of a new 5x5 routine I discovered.

You find your 5 rep max (5RM) for each exercise, then subtract 20 lbs. for day 1 (as well as for Dead Lifts in day 2 and overhead press in day 3).

Day two is light (85% less than your 5RM, and day 3 is medium at 60% less than your 5RM). Add 5 lbs. each week and by week 5 you should reach your 5RM for a full 5x5.

I have mapped out my current routine for anyone who is interested:

Day 1 - Heavy
Squat
Bench
Row

Day 2 - Light
Squat
Bench
Dead Lift

Day 3 - Medium
Squat
Bench