FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   Today I... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/1880-today-i.html)

Anjorni 08-30-2010 10:57 AM

Today I...

Registered for the L.A. Marathon...

O...M...G...

Talk about a monster goal (Above and beyond the 10% challenge by Thanksgiving...).

It's now official.

What did you do for yourself today?

snafuken 08-30-2010 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Anjorni (Post 19886)

O...M...G...

Talk about a monster goal (Above and beyond the 10% challenge by Thanksgiving...).

It's now official.

Gee, I bought 5 lbs of Whey Protein today and though I did something !!! :rolleyes:
What a go Anjorni. That is fantastic.

almeeker 08-30-2010 12:06 PM

I got out of bed and made myself get on the elliptical for 30 minutes. I know that doesn't sound like much but we just got back from a 2 week vacation, where I didn't workout much and I ate and drank whatever I wanted. So that was a big step back to the track.

Congratulations on your moment of insanity, and good luck with that.... Actually I think it's fantastic and an inspiration, clapping here and raising my cup in toast to your bravery. Sometimes you have to guide your life by what people don't say. Like you never here anybody say "well, gee I wish I'd never gotten that MBA", and "I should never have gotten in such good shape and run that marathon...". Yep, sometimes it's all about what you don't hear people say.

01gt4.6 08-30-2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Anjorni (Post 19886)

O...M...G...

It's now official.

have you ever done any races before? Are you doing the full or 1/2? Is this the RRM series? Next Sunday I'll be doing a 1/2 in Va Beach.

Anjorni 08-31-2010 02:51 AM

Haha - Thanks everyone for the props! Almeeker - you said it best... moment of insanity. You're right, it is insane, but I'm positive I can turn that into the goal that helps me hit my target weight. Plus, how many people can say they completed ANY marathon? (just like you mentioned).

Snafu - are you kidding? That's a HUGE step! Getting to the store and dialing in your diet is key; so that's probably the biggest step you can take towards getting to where it is you want to go. Up your protein, Lower your carbs and fat, and just watch yourself start shedding those unwanted lbs... Actually looking at your Sig, I was able to hit that goal myself (240ish to 199) in about 12 weeks - and the protein powder was instrumental in me getting there (aside from the exercise).

Oh, and one more thing - I cant make steps like my OP on a daily basis - that'd kill me. It's just a series of babysteps... today I've geared up to run to/from the courts and get in a good 20 minute b-ball game at lunch today (that's a normal "What have I done today")

GT - To answer your question - yes; but what makes it as insane as meek mentioned is that I've never run anything that far. I just finished my first 5k, and I figure if I can do that, and feel great afterwards, I cant imagine how I'd feel after a marathon (Goes to show you where I stand endurance - wise). With 7 months from here to the race I know I can fit in another 5k, one or two 10k's and a 1/2 with a month left to go - so with the amount of fun that I'll be having at the events (plus the huge goal of not wanting to embarass myself), it'll make the training that much easier.

Nike Coach be my guide...

Anjorni 03-14-2011 08:55 AM

Well; here we are... Five and a Half short days away from my first marathon. Wow - I'm super intimidated now. I realize there has been a lack of updates, I figured I'd just go off and train in private to avoid any embarassment if I were to fail. That said - Since August when I origially posted this, I've run over 300 miles training for this bad boy. I'm slightly dissappointed though, as I've only lost maybe 7 or 8 lbs - so that puts me at around 193 on a good day. I'm sure the composition has changed as I can see a big difference in the mirror; so I suppose as long as I'm headed in the right direction that's OK by me!

Way back when I picked up a beginners training schedule at marathontraining.com and have more or less followed that. I turned up the intensity over the past month and can say I've successfully run over a half-marathon distance (>13.1mi) each of my long training runs for the past 5 weeks (excluding this 'taper' week)! This is so far beyond what I wouldve imagined i could do... my longest training run was 20 miles! TWENTY! I never ever thought I could do THAT.

So while I'm still NOT at my goal weight (yeah, blame the 'I've 'earned' it meals') I cant beleive I'm here. It's funny what we can accomplish when we put our minds and energy to it. It's funny - kinda like a little kid saying 'I'm going to grow up and be 'xyz''. I said it, i trained, for it and now it's here.

Just wanted to check in with everyone and let you know that if *I* can do it - we all can do 'it'.

I'll post back with results next week and pictures when they're ready.

How is everyone else doing on their goals?

What's up next?

01gt4.6 03-14-2011 09:18 AM

congrats on what you've done so far. 20 miles is insane! Don't worry now about the weight. The last thing you want to try to do right before a big race is lose weight. You've 20, 6.2 more is nothing! Just keep doing what you are doing and you'll make it across the finish line.

efduncan 03-14-2011 10:51 AM

Good luck Anjorni. Hope you do great!

nottango 03-14-2011 12:04 PM

There's nothing like that feeling

when you cross the finish line! I completed 4 marathons, and now have bragging rights for the rest of my life! I remember feeling disappointed that my weight wasn't lower, but on the other hand I RAN 26.2 MILES! My body did it! I was in fantastic shape, as I'm sure you are. Take the time to look around and appreciate all the different body types and running styles you see - and let us know how you did! I always told everyone I knew that I WON every marathon (even though there were thousands of people ahead of me) and I had the medals to prove it!
I'll be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way!

sw07 03-16-2011 05:28 AM

WoW! Very impressive and Good Luck!
I also read that Flea (CHili Peppers) will also be running his first marathon this Sunday.