Notices

Post your best Diet Tips

Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Post your best Diet Tips

Hey guys,

I ws thinking that this would be a good idea, not only for me but for everyone else that is trying to diet, exercise and improve there fitness level.

So everyone post some of your favorite diet tips. Maybe like what you like to snack on that's low in calories or sugar, What you like to make for a quick lunch on the go. Something along those kind of lines. I will start off with something.

I like to eat turkey or ham sandwiches alot. I helped reduce some calories and sodium by buying low sodium swiss cheese on my sandwiches. And I substitute mustard for mayo.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

Staying away from Mayo, Butter, Orange fatty cheeses.
Limiting my alcohol consumption and only drinking Bud Select 55 cal when I do drink.
Being honest when i post my food and preparing all of my food for the day so i dont eat fast food.
Going to the gym every afternoon unless my body tells me not to because I anm sore.

Adjusting my food log in the afternoon if I dont make the gym so i keep a calorie deficit.

Works for me!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Shinkle01
Hey guys,

I ws thinking that this would be a good idea, not only for me but for everyone else that is trying to diet, exercise and improve there fitness level.

So everyone post some of your favorite diet tips. Maybe like what you like to snack on that's low in calories or sugar, What you like to make for a quick lunch on the go. Something along those kind of lines. I will start off with something.

I like to eat turkey or ham sandwiches alot. I helped reduce some calories and sodium by buying low sodium swiss cheese on my sandwiches. And I substitute mustard for mayo.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the reply. I dont see how 200+ people view this, and only 1 person responds. Thanks for your input.

I agree with limiting the alcohol consumption, that is a big key to success I think for fitness level.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Justawalker on the brews. I have tried the Select 55s but I have not been able to stick to them. I mostly drink Bud light and only on weekends.
The #1 thing for me is another one of Justawalkers. Keep a food and activity journal daily and be honest. I try to update mine 2-3 times a day then post a wrap up at the end of the day. It makes me think more about what I eat when I do this and I hope to keep doing it to stay on track.
Good luck with your weight loss.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by efduncan
I agree with Justawalker on the brews. I have tried the Select 55s but I have not been able to stick to them. I mostly drink Bud light and only on weekends.
I had some out-of-town company last night and knocked back 4-5 Heinekens...oops, lost count...@ 150cal per beer, I added an unnecessary 750 calories to my daily intake. I've been doing so good with the not drinking thing, but every once in while ok I guess...

My diet tip- I squeeze fresh lime juice on my corn on the cob instead of using any butter/margarine or salt & pepper.
Mmmmm.....lime juice & corn is so good together-try it.

I also try to make 100% of all my meals, but there's the occasional case of no time, so I'll visit my local sandwhich shop down the street (not a franchise, but a mom & pop type of deli) and I always get the same sandwhich. Sliced turkey w/ provolone cheese on Rye bread & everything except for mayo-I'll substitute mayo for a scoop of avocado.

I also fight hunger between meals with a glass of lemon water
Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome to fitday!

Diet tips:

Get a food scale and weigh your portions. Use measuring cups/spoons for everything.

Including protein or fat at every meal/snack will make it much more satisfying to your hunger.

Drink water and green tea instead of soda and coffee (even if its diet.)

And a meal suggestion: I will share with you my favorite breakfast, this one keeps me full for hours and it puts egg mcmuffins to shame.

1 whole grain english muffin
1 large egg scrambled (with water)
2 oz sliced ham (I get the maple flavored, its tremendous)
1 american cheese single

*Combine these ingredients to make a sandwich

I eat this scrambled egg, ham, and cheese muffin with a whole orange and one cup of skim milk.

You could use bread but the english muffins have significantly lower carb/cal totals
Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
FitDay Member

Like Midwest said above is to use a scale and/or measuring cups and know exactly how much food and calories your intake is. When you need a snack, eat some fruit. Before every dinner, have a large salad to start off with and you won't eat so much. And i eat vegetables galore now.I also use the nutrition charts of fitday to ensure complete 100% of recommended daily nutrients and vitamins from my food.

Most important for me was zero fast foods and zero processed foods.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

Good, thanks for everyone leaving some tips. Those are all really good ideas. I like the idea of using lime juice on corn instead of salt or butter, I will have to try that one.

I still agree with everyone about the alcohol, it is such a calorie buster but its also needed every now and then, specially on those tuff days at work. I know that menshealth.com use to suggest that if you planned on drinking to try and limit your calorie intake on food that day, this way you didn't exceed your calorie goal by to much that night.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM
FitDay Member

keep yourself focused on the long haul if you feel like you blew it for the day. i feel like i've been going off the deep end this last week...and i just have to keep it in perspective and remember how i'm so much better off with the amt of "junk" food i eat now then i did a few years back. it's a long process and i'm in this forever. don't ever give up on yourself!