Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > MEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just men
Challenge: Lose 10% body weight by thanksgiving >

Challenge: Lose 10% body weight by thanksgiving

Community
Notices

Challenge: Lose 10% body weight by thanksgiving

Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

Greetings on Labour Day
Monday weigh in.
Age=55
Height=5'7''
Start Weight=257 pounds (Aug 9/2010)
Weight=243.6 pounds (Sept 6/2010)
10% Challenge goal=231.3 pounds (25.7) (Nov 25/2010)

Only lost .2 lbs but had it at a 2 lbs loss mid week.I feel better overall,and I'm walking every day.I'm also using Whey protein once a day with breakfast ,so my weight loss plateau may be due muscle mass.
Stay positive everyone !!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

good that you are here and recognize you need help.
Not to long ago I was 300 lbs and told myself that things had to change.I found FitDay and started to watch calories and exercise daily.Since April I have lost 0ver 40 pounds.
You can also do it----you know what is healthy to eat and what is not.All you have to do is stay away from the junk and do as much exercise as you can,and the weight will come off.---special diets don't last,changing your behavior will work.
Do it for yourself and your wife.

Bob
Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by camp21
thanks for the reply.... do you think this will work or do you recommend something different
Hi there. Let me tell you, I will be HAPPY when I get down to 300! Funny, isn't it--there's always someone "worse" off.

Anyway, I would really consider returning to eating "normally" while tracking your calories here. You can focus on keeping carbs down to a reasonable level (which I do) as well as minimizing saturated fat. Find a calorie level that is comfortable to you (I try to keep around 1500 cals for healthy food and that works for me) while allowing you to lose at a reasonable rate (I lose on avg. 3 lbs a week with little/no special exercise).

Most importantly, avoid "all or nothing" thinking. This is real life--there will be days we go over our cal plan. Do not write off the day/week/month because of it. Log what you ate (or drank--man I love beer) and get right back on plan. It WILL work, I guarantee it (money back if not satisfied!).

Good wishes to you and your wife!

Michael
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning everyone, and happy Tuesday. Sorry for the late post; hope it doesnt dq me!

Weighed in this morning to 200.6/22.2%. Suprised how the long weekend went - esp since i had a 5 lb swing from sunday to today (hit 205 on sunday - boy was i bummed)

In any case, here we are; back at the office ready to hit the ground runnin again.

Mr. Camp - request 1) at the risk of sounding incosiderate, could you please move the discussion to another thread?

2) I agree with the other posters - diets dont work. Sure, if you are perhaps hitting a plateau in weight loss, then please by all means - do a short term diet or detox for a FEW weeks to break thru, then go back to your healty eating plans. @ 300lbs I guarantee if you toss out the junk foods, and the soda ONLY - you'll start shedding weight. Add in a walk a day till you hit 5 days a week and you're on the right path. Cook home foods with the grill instead of the frying pan - add in spices that dont include a bunch of salt. Eat brown rice instead of white, eat wheat bread instead of white. These are all small sacrifices we have all made without having to resort to keto; and if you've followed the thread you'll see that we are making progress towards our goals. Just like mecompco said - it's real life, we all have ups and downs, but as long as the trend is down... you'll get to your goal.

btw - what is your ultimate goal? what is your goal by thanksgiving (11 weeks away and counting)? Set that goal, and start aligning your actions with that goal, and lets see if we can all push all of us to hit the goal!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by camp21
if anyone will tell me how to remove this i will sorry i was in wrong corner
I think only a mod can move posts--you can, however, delete your own posts by going to "Edit" and "Advanced".

Start a new thread and we'll address the reasons why certain "DIEts" are not a long term solution. BTW, welcome to FitDay!

Michael
Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

@ camp21

Keto diets aren't a bad thing but generally they should be used by people who have achieved leanness (9-12% bodyfat in males) and are trying to achieve super leanness (5-8% bodyfat in males.) These types of people generally have only 5-10 pounds of actual fat they are trying to lose.

You can lose A LOT of weight just eating clean and keeping a consistent calorie restriction along with exercise. There is no real need for special diets, eat good wholesome non processed food.

Check out the author Lyle McDonald, he has written a lot on keto diets. A lot of his material is used by folks who do body building competitions.

I think by making healthy food choices and restricting your calories 500-1000 a day should get you to where you want to be without following a keto diet. If you get to 10-12% bodyfat and still want to be leaner a keto diet would be a great tool.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up gettin' there...

Monday weigh in, posted on Wed (I forgot!)
Age=57
Height=5'10''
Start Weight=245 pounds (July 6,2010)
Weight=232 pounds (Sept 6/2010)
10% Challenge goal=220.5 pounds (24.5) (Dec 25, 2010)

Well, 13 lbs. in 9 weeks, not bad. Trying for a lb a week so I can be sure to keep it off. Logging the food each day is the coaching oversight I need. Feeling good, people starting to notice the loss, which is motivating as well. Should hit 9/30 target (230 lb) way ahead of schedule.

Starting date: July 6, 2010
Starting weight: 245 lbs
Current weight: 231 (As of Sept 6,2010)
Total lbs lost: 13
Total Weeks: 9
Goal Weight #1: 235 lbs by 8/31. MET!
Total lbs left: 11

Goal Weight #2: 230 lbs by 9/30

Last edited by szerio; 09-08-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: add icons
Old 09-11-2010, 12:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Last week wasn't great--ended up at the hospital for lower back spasms. My first (and hopefully last for quite some time) ride in a wheel chair. Of course, they had to get the "fat guy" wheel chair, which was embarrasing Really sucks when you can't even walk w/o screaming.

Anyway, after some Vicodin and muscle relaxer I was mobile again. I think the drugs made me retain water or something, as no loss last week.

This week, however, the scale shows me a svelt 350.5

356 - 5.5 = 13.0 lbs. to go for the challenge--piece of (no) cake!

Hope everyone else is keeping healthy--even over the long weekend.
This week was pretty good, even the back hasn't been TOO bad and I've been able to stay off the hard drugs--a couple Alleves seem to do the job and I'm trying to ween off them.

Went out to eat Saturday and got the chicken breast sandwhich, didn't touch the chips, and refused to share the hand-cut fries (that I LOVE). Drank water instead of the pint of ice cold Guinness that I would have preferred.

Anyweigh, 347.0 this morning, so,

350.5 -3.5 = 9.5 lbs. to go for the challenge!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Progress

Monday weigh in
Age=57
Height=5'10''
Start Weight=245 pounds (July 6,2010)
Weight=229 pounds (Sept 13/2010)
10% Challenge goal=220.5 pounds (24.5) (Dec 25, 2010)

Ahead of schedule, which is nice, but surprised the weight is coming off a little faster than I thought, which concerns me on how fast it can go back on. Weekend was a little worse for wear due to the stress of putting down a loved dog, and then a Sunday with eggs and bacon, plus a birthday party for mom. But, will be playing golf today and will do a lot of walking, so I hope to balance the minor excess. Still, family noticed weight loss and wife is happy, so still motivated. May get to target weight by Thanksgiving instead of Christmas!

Starting date: July 6, 2010
Starting weight: 245 lbs
Current weight: 229 (As of Sept 13,2010)
Total lbs lost: 16
Total Weeks: 10
Goal Weight #1: 235 lbs by 8/31. MET!
Total lbs left: 9

Goal Weight #2: 230 lbs by 9/30 MET 9/11!
Goal Weight #3 225 lbs by 10/4
Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Sept 13,

Monday weigh in.
Age=55
Height=5'7''
Start Weight=257 pounds (Aug 9/2010)
Weight=240.8 pounds (Sept 13/2010)
10% Challenge goal=231.3 pounds (25.7) (Nov 25/2010)

It's great to see positive results .Log way to go,but one day at a time is the only way to go about this.
Good luck everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.