Notices

I hate the BMI Index

Old 08-24-2010, 11:44 PM
FitDay Member

I'm asking about the hand held BMI/BF% meter sold by OMRON.
Is it accurate or is it a gimmick?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davej323
My doctor promotes the idea that there is no gauge or method that is nearly as accurate as the mirror and your thumb and index finger. If you like how you look in the mirror and you pass the old special K test, then don't worry about the numbers.
What's the "special K test"?
Old 08-27-2010, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mydnight5172
What's the "special K test"?
I guess I showed my age by providing such a dated reference

Special K cereal used to have an ad campaign in which they would ask "can you pinch more than an inch," referring to belly fat.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sw07
Do it! It's money well spent. I did it back in July and it was 49bux & 39 bux to retest. I'm re-testing Oct. 1st to see if I've gotten to my target BF% which is 10%.
Wow, I had no idea that they were so cheap! I expected 10x that much. Now I am thinking I will have to look into a hydrostatic test.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:10 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Bmi

I think the BMI is outdated. I use the Army tape system to check body fat and the mirror. For the bi-annual weigh in with the Army I am always below 192 which is the max Army says I can weigh. But I cross check it against body fat %, just in case the scale is off and I would have to pass the tape test. I always come in around 19-21% and Army allows up to 26% for someone my age (43). BMI says I am overweight, but Army says I am within standards....and I score between 260-280 out of 300 on my PT test too.

Long story short (too late) BMI doesnt mean much to me.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 AM
FitDay Member

Well, what "they" fail to mention is that this chart was developed by the insurance industry to be a guideline to help assess risk when underwriting life insurance policies in the 30's or 40's. (can not remember exact time)
Just like the other guides...smoking, age, history of illness, family history, bla bla bla.

There are huge blunders in the scheme. It does not take into ethnic variations of people nor body types (people prone to holding muscle, fat, etc). And even more to the point, we have no idea who's ideal body everyone of us is expected to conform to!

But even more to the point, by making the ratios so tight to "acceptable standards" the insurance companies are able to indicate higher risk for those people who fall into the obese group, and as a result charge higher premiums and/or decline compensation.

I see a huge problem coming up with the First Lady's push for fitness. While I think it is a great idea to push fitness, more and more we are seeing this BMI model embedded in school systems, medical processes, work place employment screening...The standards are unrealistic for the majority of society. This will set the stage for more body dysmorphic issues to come for our young and the rest of us.

And I do not think for one minute anyone has really challenged how accurate these charts are to a society that is at least 50 years older which has access to better nutrition and health care. And access to more processed foods, additives.... etc.

As far as advise. Fitness wise with large joints sharp movements can lead to more joint issues down the road.

Try isometrics and shoot for core strength activities. 4 times a weeks- 20 minutes a day. That simple. You tube has lots of examples.

Diet:
Whole foods, little processed foods, lots of water -lots, apple cider vinegar, black strap molasses, lots of fruit and veggies, yogurt, olive oil-some butter no processed hydro-fats(-well, and potato chips- one must have a few vices).

Moderation, 6 meals a day- small.

To check your body fat level, if you can pinch more than an inch, you might want to consider cardio activity, anaerobic (weight lifting) and diet change to reduce some body fat.

Other than that...

Many many men and women are in your position.

It is a designed set up in my view.

Best.

Originally Posted by JJtheMD
I am curious to see how many other men out there have the same problem I do. I suffered a serious knee and shoulder issue three years ago and put on about 30 lbs. Both knees have been a problem (football and basketball) for the past 25 years so I have to watch the types of exercise I do. I am 5'10" and currently weigh 300 lbs. Now that means I am extremely obese but even the trainers at my gym agree there are extenuating circumstances. I wear size 13 shoes, can palm a basketball in either hand, have a 36" shirt sleeve length and and wear a size 8 hat. In other words, I am very very big boned (not kidding - they agree). I have a friend who is 6'6" who is the same height as me (from the waist up) when we are sitting down. Short legs and a long torso.

When I was 275 lbs, my body fat % was 31%. An ideal body fat was recommended to me as 15%. Using their formula, I would be 15% at 212 lbs. The BMI index recommends I weigh between 128 and 176 lbs. According to the numbers, if I lost ALL OF MY BODY FAT I WOULD STILL WEIGH 190 AND BE OVERWEIGHT.

If there is anyone out there with a similar height/weight issue I would appreciate hearing from as to how they approach their diet/exercise program.

Last edited by Rcht; 09-07-2010 at 06:02 AM.