Notices

Wait.. I did it..! But doh!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Wait.. I did it..! But doh!

Hey guys!

After 6 months i've hit my target weight, i'm steadily going to the gym although I focused on losing weight in the gym while altering my diet...

I'm now 185lbs, and I can bench press... 80.. maybe 90 lbs.. and not for very long.

I feel kind of weak compared to the guys benching 200 right next to me haha.

Looking for advice on whats best now to focus on to really get my strength AND endurance way up.

I know I need to eat more protein, I tried not using the powder and actually eating more eggs/cheese/meat but I'm starting to think the shakes will be 10x easier..

any help would be great! Thanks guys

Last edited by Lysady; 06-06-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

What's your body fat %?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:10 PM
FitDay Member

I have no idea on that one.. I'll try and figure it out today.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 PM
FitDay Member

Tuna is a great source of protein, 42.6 grams per can.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 AM
FitDay Member

Wow.. Maybe I will just eat tuna salads!

I have a 21% body fat, according to an online site thing based on measurements (who knows if its accurate, but I would think its close to this)
Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Lysady,

I can relate to having a weak bench. I've been trying to push mine up for the last year, and I just got back to where I used to be in high school (still a meager 120# one-rep max).

Couple quick tips:
-Don't work the bench every day. It's tempting, but you build more muscle healing and resting than actually lifting. 2-3 times per week should be adequate.
-Working isolate muscles individually, like triceps and chest, has little carry-over to the bench. Shoulder work does help some since it improves the stability of the joint, making benching way less painful.
-Balance pushing movements with pulling, i.e., benching with rowing, overhead pressing with pull-ups, etc. Your joints will thank you.

I'm thinking of putting together a bench program in couple weeks. I'll post it here if it works out for me.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lysady
Wow.. Maybe I will just eat tuna salads!
I squirt a little mustard on it, stir it up and eat it right out of the can for a snack. It's also pretty good on a piece of toast.