Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Success Stories
Does anyone agree with me on this??! >

Does anyone agree with me on this??!

Community
Notices

Does anyone agree with me on this??!

Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 AM
FitDay Member

I reached my goal the end of last year - took me approx the year to lose 75-80 lbs. And now, I have been working hard to maintain the loss - keeping myself challenged with exercise, still watching my foods. I have a range of about 4 lbs that I like to stay between. I do understand what you are saying. There was some comfort level, trying to lose the weight - knowing I was in that mode. It seems strange to not have to lose anymore weight - when I've always had to lose weight my whole life! Granted - this is a lifestyle change and we will always have to watch our foods and exercise - but it is a new feeling to have to get accustomed to. I try to keep myself challenged with new goals - like running races and training to increase my stamina and distance.
I also think being at your goal weight is rather scary - you worry about gaining the weight back, you worry about not being able to control yourself (not all the time, but it's always in the back of your head) I guess there is an adjustment period you have to go thru in your brain, as well as getting your body adjusted.
So - in answer to your question - more interesting when you are losing weight? - I'm not sure if it's more interesting, but there was a certain comfort level.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default I totally agree!

Fletch, I reached my goal a couple of weeks ago and I did, indeed, feel a sense of loss. I think it has something to do with having to change focus after being so focused on the diet for so long. I have had a similar responses to other accomplishments. Like organizing a big meeting. After months of planning, solving logistic problems, setting agendas etc, as the meeting finally adjourns there is a swell of relief, gratitude, and sadness. Because I have lost that 1 thing that I was so focused on for so long (or so it seemed).

I get what everyone was saying about how the journey isn't really over, and how the maintenance requires the same diligence, but you and I know that somehow it just isn't the same.

The good news is that inevitably something else comes along to fill that void!
So yippee for us and it is on to the next thing!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not yet at the 'maintenance' stage, but for those who are, I was wondering what you do differently now than when you were trying to lose.

My dilemma is this: I work out twice a day and watch every calorie the goes into my mouth. Once I get to where I want to be, does that have to be my life for the rest of my life? Or do I get to eat a few more calories (keeping my intake equal to my output) and keep up the twice a day workouts? Or can I drop the morning workouts but keep my calorie count controlled?

I know I've worked hard to lose the weight and don't want to gain it back, but I also don't want to feel trapped into such a crazy schedule. Sometimes I'll get a call from a friend or my boyfriend during the week to have dinner and a little voice in my head goes crazy thinking I'll have to skip my evening workout or I'll eat too much or too late, it goes on and on. I don't want to feel like that forever. I want to be able to happily accept a dinner invitation at some point in my life!

I'm not looking for some scapegoat way out, just wondering how much work it will be to maintain the body I worked so hard to get. Any responses from those of you currently maintaining would be great. Thanks so much!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM
FitDay Member

hey wannabefitgirl, I've been on WW maintenance since spring of '06. I do have a bit more give in my diet, but not much. I still need to keep track of everything. I still need to exercise--but I only exercise hardcore about 3 times per week, although in general I'm a pretty active person.

once you're at your goal, you can add in say another 100 cals and see if you gain, if you still are losing then add in another 100. it's a bit of trial and error.

i really have just gotten used to knowing that this is how it will be...always being careful, but not 100% of the time. I still binge a little every week and it just tends to even out because I keep it in check (but I am still trying to drop a few lbs). i still go out to eat and but i try to order smart and ask them to not bring me the side of rice or whatever it comes with. drink lots of water, only have a 2 or so drinks of alc a week....just always working to keep my eating under control.

so with all that said, i'd say that it still is a lot of work for me, although it is worth it because i feel so much more confident and healthy and I don't ever want to let go of that.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Changes in perspective

Hi wannabefitgirl.
I think that once you reach your goal, mostly your perspective changes. Food or not food isn't the center of your life any more. If you can continue working out twice a day and enjoy it, why stop? But if it is starting to get really old, find a new activity, of change-up your workouts so that you will be happy to continue exercising. That part of your new life should continue as long as you possibly can The key is to continue doing just what you are doing now, but not be so obsessive about it.

The great thing about Fitday is that it gives you lots of chances to see what works for you rather than prescribing a set of eating requirements. If you have used Fitday for a pretty long time, you have learned how much food you can eat, and what kinds of food you feel good about eating, and what kinds need to be reserved for special occasions.

Julia's suggestion is just what I did. I slowly added the calories back so that I didn't go wild and eat everything in sight, and it gave me the chance to ease back into a "normal" eating habit. But in truth, my new normal is quite different from the old normal of 18 months ago.

So, yup, you will still have to be mindful of your eating and exercising habits, but you shouldn't have to count every single calorie and you shouldn't have to spend all your free time at the gym

Pam
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
FitDay Member

Another question for those of you who are maintaining...what kind of exercise are you doing and how often?

Right now, I alternate weights one day (with maybe a short, easy jog after) and a day of more intense cardio. I like the cardio to shed fat and the weights to tone up my muscles. Should I stick with this concept once I move from losing to maintaining? I might be able to shorten the workouts a little or lessen the intensity since I'll only be maintaining, but I assume it is still important to stay toned up, right?

I was thinking maybe some pilates might even help be kind of cardio/kind of strength training that I might really enjoy once I'm in my maintenance stage. (Weird for me to be thinking that the maintenance stage might not be too far off...)
Old 05-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi fitgirl (sounds like you're ready to drop the wannabe!),

I'm maintaining. I do cardio 4-5 times a week (right now it's either tennis or jogging). I do two full-body workouts with weights twice a week.

I've been kind of afraid to back it off...it's not too much different from what I was doing when losing. I know I will change it up eventually, just to keep it different and I doubt I'll be playing much tennis when it's 95 degrees...I think at that point I'll hit interval training pretty heavily on the treadmill and exercise bike.

I have some DVDs and pilates that I can throw in there also. I think the key is to do more than just one thing over and over and over again.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. If it stops working, you'll know soon enough, and you can change it.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Hi fitgirl (sounds like you're ready to drop the wannabe!),

I'm maintaining. I do cardio 4-5 times a week (right now it's either tennis or jogging). I do two full-body workouts with weights twice a week.

I've been kind of afraid to back it off...it's not too much different from what I was doing when losing. I know I will change it up eventually, just to keep it different and I doubt I'll be playing much tennis when it's 95 degrees...I think at that point I'll hit interval training pretty heavily on the treadmill and exercise bike.

I have some DVDs and pilates that I can throw in there also. I think the key is to do more than just one thing over and over and over again.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. If it stops working, you'll know soon enough, and you can change it.

I wish it stayed under 95 degrees where I am at. I am deployed and on a diet. I have a goal weight of 175 and currently at 222. so I still have a long way to go. I run and do aerobics everyday.

As for the diet I would think that it is still a game of numbers the only difference is how big your numbers are when you are maintaining.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

I am hoping that once I get through the next few months and get to my target weight, by then, some of this should be second nature. I think I will have a better idea of what a good portion of food actually is, rather than just eating until my plate is clear or having to measure everything to control the calories. Also, after working so hard to establish a routine of excercise and workouts, I think it will be harder to stop. By the time I reach my goal, I will have been at this for so many months, that not exercising will probably feel strange or I will notice the lack of energy and be motivated to get back on it.

@ fitgirl: I think that once you get past the initial major weight loss, you can probably back down off of the twice daily workouts. I would be willing to bet that once you get the weight off, you would be able to get in one workout per day, be mindful of what you're eating, and the weight will stay off. I would say, alternate the weights with the cardio, do cardio on Monday, weights on Tuesday, etc. But also try to mix it up so that your body doesn't get complacent. Pick up a soccer or basketball leauge, something that requires a lot of running and physicallity. Not only will you get in that extra workout, you will have way more fun than doing a gym routine, and you will make new friends!

@ fletch: There are so many psychological barriers that stop us from being truely happy. I can understand the thought that if I were thinner, people would like me more, or I would be able to get that job, or be more confident, or just be able to be happy. In the long run, and I know you already know this, being thin doesn't make you happy, and you aren't unhappy because you aren't at your target weight. You have to find a way and reasons to be happy and to love yourself every single day, despite what size you wear, or what the scale says. Being thinner is really about being healthier. Being healthier will lead to increased energy, and lots of other good things that contribute to your happiness, but being thinner cannot be your single source of happiness.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Ochax

isn't it true that most interesting part of a weight loss process is the diet process itself??!

I'm almost there to my goal weight and i feel a little sadness about it, don't you?
Thanx

Actually, that is pretty much par for ANY kind of goal-- think of it as graduating-- bittersweet, right? You've reached your goal, but the journey was exhilarating, empowering, and something you did JUST FOR YOU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.