FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Success Stories (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/)
-   -   Do you know what I LOVE LOVE LOVE about fitday.com? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/798-do-you-know-what-i-love-love-love-about-fitday-com.html)

almeeker 04-08-2010 02:29 AM

Do you know what I LOVE LOVE LOVE about fitday.com?

What I love most about this site is that for the first time in my life I'm losing weight without a crutch. In the past when I dieted successfully I always was dependent on something, be it pills, powders, meetings or one of those "centers". And well in the end after I'd lost the weight I would let go of the crutch (or decide I couldn't afford it) and consequently fall right back up the scale and then some. This time there is no crutch. Sure I log my calories here, but it feels like more of a tool than a crutch, I call the shots and it's all on my own terms. I'm not dependent on some vague "plan" cooked up by someone I've never met and who doesn't know the first thing about me. You might even say I'm becoming independently healthy LOL!!!

buda15 04-08-2010 06:03 AM

I agree. I am not tracking calories like I should but I am watching my daily intake and making better food decisions. FitDay has really helped me in traking my weight loss vs. my goal. Just using the weight loss chart is a great visual aid that keeps me focused.

I work in a relatively public atmosphere and keep my graph posted in my cubicle where I see it everyday, my co-workers see how I am doing, and even my customers notice and comment on it. Talk about keeping yourself honest. When everyone you deal with sees your goal and weight loss trend you really want to keep the trend line below the goal line!

cjohnson728 04-08-2010 06:46 AM

I agree, almeeker. This is the first time I have really had success. Hopefully I can maintain it. You can work with whatever stats you want, there is awesome support, and it's great having to be accountable to people who are in the same boat.

r.springstead 04-08-2010 01:07 PM

I completely agree. I am down 167#, lost 165# in 14 months, maintained for a few months then slowly put back on 45#. I lost the original weight with diet and exercise. I started 1-4-10 to get the weight back off and to hit my ultimate goal of losing 1/2 my starting weight which was 386#. At my fitness center literally hundreds of people are drinking shakes on a 20 week program and losing weight in that time but have no idea how to live "in the real world". Not only have i lost more weight than anyone else, i have kept it off better than all of them. The real key is to figure out why you over-eat. Most programs will help you get the weight off but for long term success behavior modification is the key.

Myrai 04-08-2010 01:56 PM

I completely agree. I am 228 lbs and 61 yrs old, I will get down to 160 ish. I'm only now feeling I'm on a clean, life long path to loosing some poundage but most importantly changing my diet & my eating habits. I have always overeaten the breads - something I sort of knew but until tracking my nutrition on this site and trying some adjustments, I never believed it was the entire problem. Then again maybe I was just addicted so made the typical unhelpful excuses - basic denial while my weight grew. I feel so much more alive & i've only lost about 13# but I now exersise every day.

DrDetroit 04-10-2010 03:11 PM

I so agree

I love the quote "independently healthy" hope you don't mind if I borrow it. wink wink... this site has taught me what never knew. Some people know by common sense I guess it never made any sense to me. In the last six months I have lost 45 pounds. My doctor is thrilled, my wife is excited, I'm happy, all it took was this site to teach me a simple way of tracking calories in & out. Plus I found an easy set of inexpensive meal choices. Smart ones. God bless y'all & keep up the progress. Peace *

13156851977 04-10-2010 05:46 PM

H living in China

I have to say that I also agree... I am worried though... losing 5 kgs in two weeks just by eating and exercising is a bit questionable... As for the mood section I have to add the following: I have never realized how happy I were considering living in China!
Good luck to everyone... Be strong and your goals are the priority!
Regards!:D

almeeker 04-13-2010 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by buda15 (Post 7933)
I work in a relatively public atmosphere and keep my graph posted in my cubicle where I see it everyday, my co-workers see how I am doing, and even my customers notice and comment on it. Talk about keeping yourself honest. When everyone you deal with sees your goal and weight loss trend you really want to keep the trend line below the goal line!

You are SOOOO brave to post your weight where everyone can see it. Although I have to say that I've posted my real weight here and found that extremely liberating.

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 7942)
I agree, almeeker. This is the first time I have really had success. Hopefully I can maintain it. You can work with whatever stats you want, there is awesome support, and it's great having to be accountable to people who are in the same boat.

Amen. The community support here is top notch.

Originally Posted by r.springstead (Post 7975)
I completely agree. I am down 167#, lost 165# in 14 months, maintained for a few months then slowly put back on 45#. I lost the original weight with diet and exercise. I started 1-4-10 to get the weight back off and to hit my ultimate goal of losing 1/2 my starting weight which was 386#. At my fitness center literally hundreds of people are drinking shakes on a 20 week program and losing weight in that time but have no idea how to live "in the real world". Not only have i lost more weight than anyone else, i have kept it off better than all of them. The real key is to figure out why you over-eat. Most programs will help you get the weight off but for long term success behavior modification is the key.

You are sooo much better off not using those shakes, short and long term. I don't know how many diets I've tried using powders and pills and none of them worked short term, let alone long. But this time is different, my "program" is tailored made for me, by me and it's working like a dream.

Originally Posted by Myrai (Post 7981)
I have always overeaten the breads - something I sort of knew but until tracking my nutrition on this site and trying some adjustments, I never believed it was the entire problem. Then again maybe I was just addicted so made the typical unhelpful excuses - basic denial while my weight grew. I feel so much more alive & i've only lost about 13# but I now exersise every day.

You sound like me, I've over-carbed my whole life. I think a big part of my problem was my optimistic nature, plain old ignorance and deep denial - well no more.

Originally Posted by DrDetroit (Post 8122)
I love the quote "independently healthy" hope you don't mind if I borrow it. wink wink... this site has taught me what never knew. Some people know by common sense I guess it never made any sense to me. In the last six months I have lost 45 pounds. My doctor is thrilled, my wife is excited, I'm happy, all it took was this site to teach me a simple way of tracking calories in & out. Plus I found an easy set of inexpensive meal choices. Smart ones. God bless y'all & keep up the progress. Peace *

Not at all borrow away. Maybe we should all get t-shirts printed up that say it?

Originally Posted by 13156851977 (Post 8125)
I have to say that I also agree... I am worried though... losing 5 kgs in two weeks just by eating and exercising is a bit questionable... As for the mood section I have to add the following: I have never realized how happy I were considering living in China!
Good luck to everyone... Be strong and your goals are the priority!
Regards!:D

If you just started and lost 5kgs in two weeks, it could be just the honeymoon stage. I lost like 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks, then it slowed down a bit. I too am surprised at my high percentage of days that I am "happy" and "very happy", but again I have many days where the scale is a tiny bit lower than yesterday and well that would make most fat girls happy.

nifheim 04-14-2010 04:27 AM

Hi i am new just started tracking on Fitday.com Friday and now I grasp what I am eating. WW worked for me a few years back but after getting married I couldn't make the meetings as often, then I realized I was starving just to get enough points to eat dinner. Now I really space things out, I write everything out, I see what is protien, what is carb, what is fat and how much of it I am getting daily vs what I am burning.

I am now dedicated to doing some form of excercise daily because I am obligated to put it down, even if it is a off day I have to do something its really keeping me focused. I truly think this may be the final thing for me - of course I am hopefuly (first week back on track) but this is the best first week I have ever had.

I cheated and checked the scale and I dropped 8lbs in 6 days, but my official weight in is Friday. I realize that is a bit fast and mostly water weight but now I know what I am doing! Thanks Fitday!!!

farahb7 05-12-2010 02:05 PM

for the first time in my life, i also think this is it for me. just writing down what i eat is helping me make better food choices. before when there was a commercial on tv re: this or that diet plan or pills or whatever, i was so eager to get it and try it, and then fail miserablly, but now i see the adds and in my mind i say " well, guess what, i'm not falling for you this time, i' done with you!", oh man, i'm so happy to find this site and these fourms!:D

montanacricket 05-12-2010 02:42 PM

I agree 100%. There's something about really keeping yourself honest about what you're eating and your activities. It's not a crutch so much as a reality check on a daily basis. That and the fact that you weigh when you want to, not at a meeting, and that you track your mood, weight, activity and food all in one place.

It also will make it easier (thinking positively here to the long term, when I've lost the 120+ pounds) to come back to Fitday when the pounds start creeping back on. It has worked for me, where nothing else in 20 years has.

farahb7 05-13-2010 12:56 PM

guess what, i got to have something totally unhealthy, well, maybe not unhealthy but kind of forbidden by any diets and i don't even feel guilty about it!:rolleyes:
i had pizza, but calculated it so well with fitday, and exercised afterward, thet i feel i should be quite fine! but i guess we'll see tomorrow when i weigh myself in.:)

almeeker 05-13-2010 01:13 PM

I've eaten pizza since doing this too, and did the same thing, I just planned for it calorie-wise and then did an extra workout and it was fine.

wannabefitgrl 05-20-2010 11:35 AM

I'll just jump on the bandwagon I guess and admit that I, too, feel great about not drinking shakes or taking pills in order to shed pounds.

almeeker, I was wondering what made you, at 242 pounds, decide you wanted to weigh 120? That seems like such a ballsy move and a huge committment. I've been asked lately what my ultimate weight loss goal is and it's made me see that I don't really have one. It hasn't really hurt my progress, I just focus on 5-10 pounds at a time, but I was curious as to how you came up with that goal weight. Is it based on body type/BMI at all?

alice6065 06-08-2010 10:03 PM

I agree!!! Love the "Independently Healthy" t-shirt idea.

almeeker 06-09-2010 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by wannabefitgrl (Post 11382)
I'll just jump on the bandwagon I guess and admit that I, too, feel great about not drinking shakes or taking pills in order to shed pounds.

almeeker, I was wondering what made you, at 242 pounds, decide you wanted to weigh 120? That seems like such a ballsy move and a huge committment. I've been asked lately what my ultimate weight loss goal is and it's made me see that I don't really have one. It hasn't really hurt my progress, I just focus on 5-10 pounds at a time, but I was curious as to how you came up with that goal weight. Is it based on body type/BMI at all?

I'm a small human in terms of height and skeleton. I measure about 5'-1 1/2" and according to my knee doc I have a "slight" or "delicate" skeletal structure. Before I started this process, I asked both my knee doctor and my regular doc what a healthy weight for me would be. They both looked me in the eye and said "115 pounds". The healthy range for me is like 100-135 pounds, so 115 is right about in the middle of that. I also have degenerative disc disease and bad knees, so I think both docs were inclined to put me at a lighter weight than I would have chosen for myself. I added 5 pounds because I didn't feel like 115 took my cup size into consideration and being well endowed I should be allowed at least another 5 pounds for "the girls". At first the 120 pound goal was overwhelming, but it's less so nowadays. I feel like it's very possible to reach my goal weight and to find a way to maintain it for the rest of my life. I weighed 120 pounds when I was in my teens and twenty's. At that time I wore a size 6-8, so even at 120 pounds I'm not a skinny stick of human, I doubt my ribs will even show.

wannabefitgrl 06-09-2010 06:24 AM

Good to know, thanks almeeker.

I was home for memorial weekend and my mom told me I need to stop losing weight (granted I'm 5'7" and weigh about 152 right now, so by no means am I tiny). I think it's just a shock for her to see me so much thinner than I've ever been (I think 175 was my lightest until now).

I think I'm aiming for 140ish, at least that's the number that feels stuck in my head at the moment. Hopefully I can do that by the end of the summer and then re-assess. I, too, love being independently healthy!

me2forever 07-30-2010 01:21 PM

FitDay has already kept me honest.

Been tracking only two days and I see the Light. lol

Food diary is a blessing for me. I have been trying to list foods before I eat them or right after. It made me change my mind about eating something or as much of it. I count carbs and love to see the pie chart at end of day.

Thank you FItDay...........:D

chezbez 07-31-2010 02:37 AM

Hi

Congratulations. I simply haven't really tried to diet much in the past, though I have been 60-70lbs overweight now for 10yrs +!! I LOVE this site, it is so easy to use, and since I work on my computer (and study on it too - doing a Masters!) everyday, it is simplet to mark fitday.com as my homepage on my browser and update it every time I log in!

Am detoxing right now, which I admit is horrific, but apparently it's really good for your body. It goes as follows:
Days 1 & 2, drink juice of 1/2 squeezed lemon in water at mealtimes, drink plenty of water (no food!)
Days 3 & 4, eat only fruit at mealtimes, and drink plenty of water
Days 5 & 6, eat salad vegetables and fruit, drink plenty of water
Days 7 & 8, eat cooked vegetables (steamed/boiled - if boiled you can drink the water they were cooked in as it's packed with vitamins), you can also eat fruit & salad vegetables
Days 9 + Gradually re-introduce healthy other foods like chicken, fish, etc.

Anyway - My mothers BF is 80yrs old and swears by this! I am on day 2, so am rampantly hungry! My mum said that the lemon juice thing is 'hellish' and that if I feel the need, I can bring everything forward by a day!

Anyway, read an awesome quote on a blog site the other day (Weight Management) it said "Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels" and that's really stuck in my brain!

Love & best wishes to all...
Charlotte

farahb7 08-23-2010 02:44 PM

hello everyone!
well, i just have to tell you that i have almost lost 23 lb!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: and almost 6.2 more lbs to my goal weight! this is why i love fitday and all you amazing people on these fourms!!!!!:D

rpmcduff 08-23-2010 04:15 PM

CONGRATULATIONS Farahb!!!!!!!!

tbutler01 08-25-2010 05:56 AM

How do I put the activities in when I put a activities I put 40 minutes it always goes back to 1 secound?

me2forever 08-25-2010 01:52 PM

Congrats!!!:) So happy for you. Posts like yours keep us all going the right way.

rimah_92 09-03-2010 12:27 AM

I'm new here since today. And I'm really loving this site! I agree with everyone about how good the weight charts and food diarys work. I'm not logging in any food until tomorrow though. i'm giving myself a last day of bad food before I start. Your sucess stories are really getting med motivated.

missmaggieelizabeth 09-06-2010 05:28 PM

OH I totally agree too. I am loosing so slowly compared to others. But It is working and my non diet is really not hard to do. I am comfortable with what I am eating. I do not deprive myself at all. Except instead of eating a huge slice of pie I eat a tiny sliver. Slowly............. Savor every bite one cherry at a time. LOL I am not having to cook special things for myself or husband . He is not on a diet. We have always eaten mostly home cooked foods. I made lasagna last week but it was my home version and really not all that bad. I used very little cheese and low fat cottage cheese. And it was delicious.

Fit day accountability is a good thing. Some times I will just check to see what it will cost me in calories fat carbs verses nutrition before eating something and that helps me to make better choices too. I am really happy I came across this site. I wish the weight loss were faster but this way I am pretty sure it will be gone for sure as there is no diet to ever go off of. I am not really dieting I am just being more aware of what I am eating.

Also some one told me about switching it up with higher and lower calorie days. I do think that helps. The weight is coming off a little faster now. So I will take what I get and be really happy for it.

Maggie

rpmcduff 09-08-2010 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by tbutler01 (Post 19559)
How do I put the activities in when I put a activities I put 40 minutes it always goes back to 1 secound?

Click the 'Save changes' button.

Even though I am experiencing another mini weight plataue I love that I had to punch another hole in my belt.

reprise 09-10-2010 04:04 AM

Fitday is a good tool. I have gently yo-yoed back and forth for half my life (varying between single-digit bodyfat and low 20s). I expect it and I am mostly ok with it, actually. Staying sub 10% bodyfat requires constant attention. It isn't ideal moving back and forth, but I do know my habits and my likes and how my body works and the only approach that works for me is watching, diligently, calories. I have been in incredible shape before (I'm not bragging; none of you know me, but trying to make a point) and I've spoken with enough other people in incredible shape to know that, to a one (literally), they are conscious of their diet and restrict themselves. For some it's harder than others; I know people who will opt for fruit before junk food. I'm not one of them (most of us aren't), but whether you go heavy or light on the exercise the unifying factor in success is calorie deficit. And it takes work. I have never, ever met somebody who was ripped up and muscular and eats what they want when they want. No amount of chemical trickery can get around this. Maybe one day, but not yet.