Where to buy clothes?

Community
Notices

Where to buy clothes?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default Where to buy clothes?

Hey folks,

I've lost 70 pounds, and I'm now out of plus sizes. I have a lovely problem It's been so long since I've bought regular clothes, I have no idea where to shop. I went to Old Navy (hurray because I can, 'cause they don't carry plus sizes) and I bought a few things, but lets just say they're cut for a younger generation. They really emphasized the Girls: my husband LOVED them, but I'm sure the other moms at playgroup might have a different opinion.I thought about asking them, but I'm sure they'd be like "Yeah, yeah, we know you lost weight, get the h#$% out of here."

After all this work, I'd rather not just buy my clothes at Target, but I've got a 2 year old and trawling the mall is not an option. She's got, say, two stores in her. Any idea where I can get some mostly-modest ts, tanks, and jeans that aren't TOO mom, but are also safe to wear around adolescent boys?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

Do you have a Kohl's where you live? I get a lot of casual stuff there. You can park at a department store at the mall and then just go in that store. JC Pennys sometimes has good prices. About twice a year Dillard's has a good sale on dresses that I try to hit.

It's a fun problem. Treat yourself to a babysitter and shop wherever you want one day. It seems like you've earned it.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 AM
FitDay Member

Goodwill! I drop stuff off and pick up more! So many fun things there
Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

What's your price range on jeans?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Congrats on your accomplishment!!

I like Old Navy's prices and trendy looks, but I agree that since they revamped their jeans a few years back, they're not always the best cuts for moms of teens, and even the couple styles that are, the material is not very soft; I don't like them. However, I do like them for t-shirts and tops but I agree, you have to try them on to make sure they don't show too much, and some of the stuff is pretty form-fitting . It's hit or miss in that store.

How about Gap? They're more pricey, but between sales and gift cards, I love to buy their jeans. You just have to spend some time with the different cuts. Ironically (I'm 5'2"), the ones that fit me best are the Long and Lean style in petite or ankle length. Like Lee said above, you can find jeans on sale at Penney's and Kohl's, with your Lees, Levis, and store-specific brands also. They are also good with tops, and Gap carries things that are a little more conservative than their sister company Old Navy.

I wish we had a Goodwill near us!!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I wish we had a Goodwill near us!!
Goodwill and Salvation Army stores are a big loser's friend. We have both in town and I check them every couple of weeks. Goodwill is nicer but Salvation Army is cheaper. Got a brand new pair of Levis 501s in my favorite black for $4.95 the other day. I can't go in either place w/o leaving with something. I also check eBay if there's something in particular I'm looking for.

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
FitDay Member

I buy clothes at goodwill. I drop sizes so quickly, I don't want to spend a small fortune on clothes when a month down the road, I have dropped another size. In fact, Tuesday I will be going there again, gotta start stocking up a little for fall since its right around the corner and I no longer fit in my size 16 jeans nymore. I have to pick up some size 7's. Plus, goodwill is cheap and they allways have name brand clothes usually. I bought a brand new Nine West sleeveless top with tags for 3.50. Its a 30.00 top. And when I am done with my old sizes, I take them to goodwill so I have no chance or excuse to have bigger clothes laying around. I have to agree, it is a very nice problem to have. I love going out clothes shopping now and never have before. All the cute stuff is in the smaller sizes and its nice being able to pick up a size small shirt witout trying it on and know it will fit.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a fan of Express...IMHO their clothes are classy & contemporary for men/women. Sizes are true fit.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

I love Express but they vanity size just like everyone else. I have pair of ultra low cuts I got years ago (that won't button no matter how much I try!) and my newest pair that are already getting loose. They are labeled the same size but there is a 3" difference in the waist band.

I don't care what the size says because it doesn't mean anything to me with all the vanity sizing. If I like the way it looks on me I buy it! I recently got two little tennis skirts from the kids section and I know I am not in little girl sizes so I think they vanity size kids clothes too!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

That's a good point. I got a pair of workout pants in the Girl's Dept. at Sports Authority bcs I'm so short the regular ones are way too long. I can get into a girls' large or x-large and they are often $15-20 cheaper!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.