Notices

Plateau - big time.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Plateau - big time.

I'm a first time poster. I've been poking around on this forum for quite a while and find so much motivation here. Good work everyone, it's wonderful to read everyone's stories and encouragement. I lost 45 pounds about 8 months ago after doing a 180 in my eating and exercising. After about 6 months, I plateaued at 200 could not get below. I've gained back 10 but holding steady, but I'm afraid it will creep back on or that I won't lose any more period. I believe my body adjusted to my new eating pattern (smaller, healthier and more frequent meals) and my exercise (mostly riding recumbent/stationary bike). I just started a new cross training type exercise class at a gym and love getting a cardio work out from using large muscles, rather than just a bike or treadmill.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly discouraged. Feel like I'm going to gain my weight back or not lose any more. I weigh 210 now. I'm 40 yrs old... it's so difficult. Wah, I know.

Any ideas, words of encouragement would be great. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

There is a plateau thread under the Women's Corner section; you may want to copy your post and put it in there. I'm afraid you might get lost in the "Success" section here.

I've been through plateaus and know how frustrating they are. You have to wait them out, stay the course, and don't give up. Try changing your exercise (your body adapts and gets used to what you do regularly), drink a lot of water, and maybe mess around with your carb-protein-fat ratios. Also, you could try cycling your calories, fewer on some days, more on others, but with the average being what you are using as your daily amount now.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Just my thoughts to fight discouragement

Originally Posted by ncjen
I'm a first time poster. I've been poking around on this forum for quite a while and find so much motivation here. Good work everyone, it's wonderful to read everyone's stories and encouragement. I lost 45 pounds about 8 months ago after doing a 180 in my eating and exercising. After about 6 months, I plateaued at 200 could not get below. I've gained back 10 but holding steady, but I'm afraid it will creep back on or that I won't lose any more period. I believe my body adjusted to my new eating pattern (smaller, healthier and more frequent meals) and my exercise (mostly riding recumbent/stationary bike). I just started a new cross training type exercise class at a gym and love getting a cardio work out from using large muscles, rather than just a bike or treadmill.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly discouraged. Feel like I'm going to gain my weight back or not lose any more. I weigh 210 now. I'm 40 yrs old... it's so difficult. Wah, I know.

Any ideas, words of encouragement would be great. Thank you.
Hello Jen, Albie here from IL, male age 59, and I've been focusing on getting healthy and losing additional weight here at FitDay since October 4th, 2010. Today, 170 days later, I have gone from 252 lbs to 179 lbs.

My advice here is to realize that there are short term ups and downs, advances and setbacks, joys and disappointments, and we need to recognize and deal with the occasional adversity. I tend to view this whole journey as sort of an overlapping, looping continuum of sorts, and we may find ourselves in one or more of the many phases of the journey and just need to reassess the goal, the position, the motivation and the execution of your personal plan.

I try to keep the following list of points in mind whenever I am struggling:

Recognize – Investigate – Understand – Accept – Plan - Set goals – Commit – Focus – Execute – Reflect - Get Feedback – Relax – Reward yourself – Enjoy – Assess your progress - Consider doing it all over again with some changes – Go back to step one - Repeat

These ideas have worked, and continue to work for me, and maybe one or two may work for you. Please remember this....Success demands continued vigilance, focus and dedication to your task. Have patience with yourself, maintain your long term goal, and stay confident that you can achieve it, and in the end you will experience positive and satisfying results! You can totally do this if you just keep trying. Good luck to you!

Keep on keepin' on! -------------Albie@round

------------------------------------------
Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

You might try that new DVD from Bob Harper, I think it's called "Cardio Rev Up". Bob will kick your butt, and you will feel that pain in your behind for a couple of days. But it's a huge fat burner. BTW congratulations on the weight loss, maybe you need to look at a couple of "before" and "after" shots side by side. That always seems to help me.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 AM
FitDay Member

You are wise to be doing someting about it now. Just think how much better shape you are starting in than the last time. You have been given some wise advise by the last few posts. Think of everything positive about your weight loss and get back on track before regaining any more.

Are you watching the journalling? I know that's when I regained after losing a lot of weight 5 years ago. I quit the program I was on thinking I can do it myself. Without the support and journalling the weight slowly came back. At least I restarted before regaining all the weight. I figure I am here for life now - but it's a pretty good place to hang out and I can eat well on 1500 calories - and still lose.

Let us know when the plateau breaks. Mary