FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Success Stories (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/)
-   -   First 5K! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/3075-first-5k.html)

Lovedogs4ever 01-20-2011 05:41 AM

First 5K!

The most I had ever run in my life before today was 2 miles. But today I just told myself that I could and I should run a 5k, so I did! :D I just got a treadmill a month ago and I started by jogging a mile at a time...I have gone so far in just 30 days, I am so excited for what the next month will bring! (marathon? jk :p)

It amazes me how much of it was simply mental, I think that for me 75% of building up to this was actually strenghtening myself up mentally.

But anyways, I love my treadmill, I love my legs and I love life!

sw07 01-20-2011 06:11 AM

WooHoo!

mecompco 01-20-2011 06:33 AM

Hey, that's a great accomplishment--well done, well done! :D:D:D

Regards,
Michael

Albie@round 02-05-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lovedogs4ever (Post 32742)
The most I had ever run in my life before today was 2 miles. But today I just told myself that I could and I should run a 5k, so I did! :D I just got a treadmill a month ago and I started by jogging a mile at a time...I have gone so far in just 30 days, I am so excited for what the next month will bring! (marathon? jk :p)

It amazes me how much of it was simply mental, I think that for me 75% of building up to this was actually strengthening myself up mentally.

Great effort Tamara! Keep on keepin' on! I was never a distance runner either but I challenged myself little by little to overcome my own mental roadblocks. I started slowly, doing interval training, building up the strength and endurance, learning how to breathe correctly while training, and eventually did a 5k and shortly thereafter a 10k and finally accepted a friend's challenge a few months later and ran a mini-marathon....
15.5 miles.....So never doubt yourself. Continue challenging yourself and you will make great things happen! :D

almeeker 02-05-2011 07:41 AM

Does somebody have her runner's high going? Good for you. I'm trying to get ready for my first race in May, but it's getting to be a big mental game with me too. I'll get there, but it's not all going to be pretty.

vabeachgirlNYC 02-05-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lovedogs4ever (Post 32742)

It amazes me how much of it was simply mental, I think that for me 75% of building up to this was actually strenghtening myself up mentally.

But anyways, I love my treadmill, I love my legs and I love life!

Yay for you!!! :D

behaze 02-06-2011 02:12 PM

That's wonderful! Good for you. I wish I could run - sadly, I'm all chicken when running, neck bobbing, knees knocking, the fear I'm going to go butt over face any moment . . . only makes my respect for you and all the runners out there increase!

Woo!