Notices

The Naturally Thin Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM
FitDay Member

It is really hard to find, isn't it? I try to "listen to my body" but it gets very confusing. Sometimes what I want to do I am not capable of doing and if I try, it sets me back, which just makes it more discouraging. And I do think there's a difference beween not wanting to do it and your body actually needing rest and healing.

I'm 50. When I was 40, I was in the best shape of my life. I started with Bill Phillips Body for Life and then worked with two trainers who were former Marines. I worked out hard 6 days a week, people were actually stopping me and asking me my "secrets", asking me to train with them. Then at age 42, I got sick, really sick. Turned out it was fibromyalgia. That coupled with bad knees (three major surgeries, the last one knee replacement) has made it a challenge. I would LOVE to do something like P90X but lately I find even 30 minutes of mild execise difficult; it can take me days to recover. But without exercise, my knees hurt worse, my back goes into spasm and in general, my mood suffers. So I just have to go at my own slow pace and not get discouraged.

I just want you to know you're not alone. I am not "naturally thin" (at least not anymore and not for decades.) I am just wondering if there is a healthy sane approach to diet and exercise for me. My way may not be anyone else's (how could it be? We're all different.) I can only tell you I lost 10 pound before I even started Fitday just from the stess of the surgery and recovery (not a diet I'd recommend BTW) and gained a few back. I started in April of last year and now months later, I am one pound lighter than I was when I started. One pound. Sure I was about 6 pounds thinner for a while but I didn't keep the weight off. I just keep thinking there's got to be a better way, a way I can live with, not just a "quick fix."

Please forgive all the details. I'm still trying to "work it all out."

Last edited by canary52; 01-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

I was thinking about this thread when I was talking to my friend the other day. IDK if naturally thin is what most normal weight people are or not.

IMO, I think most normal weight people eat when they are hungry. No matter what time or how late. And also just eat what they are craving instead of eating other stuff to avoid eating "that bad food they want". So they probably end up eating less since they just ate what they were craving in the first place.

Occasionally I crave a certain type of donut so I will go get just one. I never feel guilty and I know a second one would never taste as good as that first one.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
I was thinking about this thread when I was talking to my friend the other day. IDK if naturally thin is what most normal weight people are or not.

IMO, I think most normal weight people eat when they are hungry. No matter what time or how late. And also just eat what they are craving instead of eating other stuff to avoid eating "that bad food they want". So they probably end up eating less since they just ate what they were craving in the first place.

Occasionally I crave a certain type of donut so I will go get just one. I never feel guilty and I know a second one would never taste as good as that first one.

Yes! Yes! That's exactly what I was talking about! The question is: do I trust myself enough to do it?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

This is my dream--sadly, I don't think it will ever happen.

I am, though, very glad you're able to live this way--good for you!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

The truth is I'm not sure I can do it either.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by canary52
The truth is I'm not sure I can do it either.
To paraphrase Clint Eastwood, "a man (or woman)'s gotta know his limitations". It may be that food addicts like me can never eat normally. Sort of like most alcoholics can't ever drink normally. If we know and accept that, perhaps we can at least stay healthy despite our "limitations".

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
To paraphrase Clint Eastwood, "a man (or woman)'s gotta know his limitations". It may be that food addicts like me can never eat normally. Sort of like most alcoholics can't ever drink normally. If we know and accept that, perhaps we can at least stay healthy despite our "limitations".

Regards,
Michael
Good way to look at it, Mike. Good way to look at it. I'm not here to tell anybody how to do it. I still haven't figured that out myself!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 PM
FitDay Member

My two kids were/are as different as can be. My son, tall, lanky, snack all the time and stayed skinny. He's almost 30 and still thin & muscular. His sister is constantly watching her weight, seems like she looks at food and gains.

From the start, he was a "slow" eater. Takes him a long time to finish a meal, he's busy talking, or looking around. He jiggles his feet and legs, his body is in constant motion, even when he's resting. He does a lot of physical things, like running, sports, games. As a child, he would play hard and then crash, and sleep good for the night. His sister, totally opposite. She like to read, watch movies, walk the dog, take a nap. When she's eating, she isn't doing anything else. She's a night owl.

I would consider my son "naturally thin". It's not that he tries, it's just he has a way of moving through life that trends toward that outcome. My daughter is not "naturally thin". She must be conscientious about her food intake and her energy output, she has to work at it.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by canary52
Yes! Yes! That's exactly what I was talking about! The question is: do I trust myself enough to do it?
Originally Posted by mecompco
This is my dream--sadly, I don't think it will ever happen.

I am, though, very glad you're able to live this way--good for you!

Regards,
Michael
Well, I have to be honest, my secret is...I hate food shopping in these super size grocery stores here. I get overwhelmed at the thought of going down all those scary middle aisles looking for what I need so I usually just skip them.

If I am craving a treat I have to actually get in my car or walk to go pick it up. I find myself saying forget it half of the time. When I want it bad enough I normally go for the real stuff. I find that the "middle aisle" snack foods don't taste good anymore. My taste buds must have gotten spoiled!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:40 PM
FitDay Member

Well, I have to be honest, my secret is...I hate food shopping in these super size grocery stores here. I get overwhelmed at the thought of going down all those scary middle aisles looking for what I need so I usually just skip them.

If I am craving a treat I have to actually get in my car or walk to go pick it up. I find myself saying forget it half of the time. When I want it bad enough I normally go for the real stuff. I find that the "middle aisle" snack foods don't taste good anymore. My taste buds must have gotten spoiled!
I envy you. I like it all. And I love food shopping. I could spend (and have spent) hours in a store just looking at all the foods, reading the labels, comparing ingredients, trying new stuff. Love it. But you are an outer aisle shopper so you will be thinner and healthier than a hedonist like me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.