Notices

It's time for me to get serious!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

weight = 174.6

no pictures today, I don't think much has changed. My diet has been hit and miss.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
FitDay Member

Hello, question for the moderator dude. There is a poster named leecooper that puts a link in every post to the same web page. I surfed the page and it doesn't seem to be selling anything, but it looks suspicious all the same.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

Mike or anyone, can you please give me your definition of a clean diet?

I'm allergic to milk (not just lactose intolerant) so I can't do whey protein or any of that stuff so can anyone give me a day's list for example of "clean eating."?

Are all the supplements necessary? I'm not a heavy weight lifter (health issues), just want some definition and a healthy diet.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by canary52
Mike or anyone, can you please give me your definition of a clean diet?

I'm allergic to milk (not just lactose intolerant) so I can't do whey protein or any of that stuff so can anyone give me a day's list for example of "clean eating."?

Are all the supplements necessary? I'm not a heavy weight lifter (health issues), just want some definition and a healthy diet.

Thanks!
Hope,
All the supplements are not necessary, it's best to get as much from real food as you can. Supplements are used for just that, to supplement. I like to take them, I guess b/c I tend to go overboard, but it's not necessary.

As far as clean eating, everyones definition is different. I try to stay away from junk (except on cheat days). When I say junk I mean... fried foods, gravies, candies, chips, snacks, most fast foods, etc.

I try to get my protein from what I consider "clean" sources... grilled chicken breast, grilled steak, baked fish, ff cottage cheese, etc

carbs comes from a lot of veggies (steamed in the nuker), fruit, sweet potatoes, brown rice... and I even eat bread, 35 cal wheat, etc

fat comes from almonds, natural PB, avocados, etc.

That's not to say that I don't put a little smart balance, a sprinkle of truvia and cinnamon on my sweet potato... b/c I do. I just keep the bulk of my calories from clean sources.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the help, Mike. I'd like to "get my act together." Look better and feel better.

Eating clean feels better, doesn't it? My only problem would be keeping the cheat day to one. How do you do it?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default clean = as nature made it

Mike's right, lots of different definitions, but mostly it boils down to food that doesn't come out of a factory or processing plant (which includes almost all fast food since they use prepared/frozen products). Higher end sit-down restaurants are debatable, I suppose it depends on their approach to preparing the food.

Some folks believe that the closer to raw the better - I'm not particularly in that camp, but simply prepared is important.

As far as supplements go, the reading I've done and my own experience suggests that our vitamin and mineral requirements are a little out of sync with our modern, rather seditary, lifestyle. No matter how well I plan my meals I cannot get enough of the essentials without over eating. (My normal calorie requirement is 1800 - 1900) But I do not subscribe to the "mega-dose, more is better" phylosophy either.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I do, occassionally resort to "plastic food" like protein bars and shakes. I never thought I would, but they sure come in handy with a hectic work/life schedule.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by canary52
How do you do it?
sometimes I don't and usually my cheats would be enough to make other people sick.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 AM
FitDay Member

Yes I think you wrote about some of your cheats. I seem to remember the Dairy Queen Blizzard incident....

Seriously, when I cheat, I have trouble going back. Still I am going to try to get closer to the "clean" diet you recommended.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

yeah, when I cheat it's not uncommon to hit 4000cals and 500+ grams of carbs & 100+ grams of fat. The key is getting back on the wagon as quickly as possible after you've fallen off.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah but you're a guy, lifting and doing serious workouts. If I ate that, I would be in serious trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.