FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Success Stories (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/)
-   -   Hello cheekbones :) (little acheivements that keep us motivated) (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/238-hello-cheekbones-little-acheivements-keep-us-motivated.html)

gallusgal 01-22-2010 11:27 PM

Hello cheekbones :) (little acheivements that keep us motivated)

Well, I know this is the success. thread and there are some amazing stories on here, but I thought it would be okay to start a thread about the small successes that give us a lift and keep us going on the road to our goals.

I have lost 10lbs so far (started on Jan 4th) and one of the things that got me started was my 'moonface' in pics from Christmas time. I can definitely see a difference in my face already and I am so happy about that!:D

Has anyone else noticed some small difference that makes it all seem worthwhile? Please share!

eaglenana 01-23-2010 12:11 AM

Little victories, huge motivation

Way to go! I also have been changing the way I eat in earnest since the first week of January. Yesterday I tried on my favorite white sweater. Last time I tried to wear it, my arms looked like sausages stuffed into the sleeves. Now it fits like it should and I wore it with a print jacket because the jacket is also roomier now. Never would have even tried it a month ago. :D

gallusgal 01-23-2010 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by eaglenana (Post 1580)
Way to go! I also have been changing the way I eat in earnest since the first week of January. Yesterday I tried on my favorite white sweater. Last time I tried to wear it, my arms looked like sausages stuffed into the sleeves. Now it fits like it should and I wore it with a print jacket because the jacket is also roomier now. Never would have even tried it a month ago. :D

Well done eaglenana! I hate the feeling of clothes being tight on me, I am loving the feeling of my clothes getting a bit looser! That's great that we started around the same time and can feel a difference already :)

showmenow 01-23-2010 03:49 AM

Hello cheekbones- goodbye double chin!! You started my day off right with that. :) Way to go!

kathietaylor 01-23-2010 04:21 AM

Oh, this thread is a great idea! I have notice my double chin is much smaller and my face doesn't look swollen anymore...I suspect drinking the water has helped with that!

mfagerstrom 01-24-2010 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by gallusgal (Post 1578)
Well, I know this is the success. thread and there are some amazing stories on here, but I thought it would be okay to start a thread about the small successes that give us a lift and keep us going on the road to our goals.

I have lost 10lbs so far (started on Jan 4th) and one of the things that got me started was my 'moonface' in pics from Christmas time. I can definitely see a difference in my face already and I am so happy about that!:D

Has anyone else noticed some small difference that makes it all seem worthwhile? Please share!

Nice job on the weight loss so far. Keep it up!

During my "journey" I've come across quite a few nice little milestones that I've enjoyed hitting.

* After suffering with heartburn for over two years... I was amazed to see that it went completely away after I dipped under 300 lbs.

* Also after going below 300 or so, I no longer got pains in my calves from just walking around.

* When clothes become too baggy

* Fitting into a lower size

* This is a huge one... when the clothes from my closet that had been too small for years finally became too big.

* Lost my double chin (finally decided to shave my beard, there's nothing there to hide anymore)

* Having to buckle my belt one notch tighter... then having to buy a new belt and having to keep buckling that one another notch tighter.

* Kind of a weird one, but it made me happy... being able to touch my big toe to my nose w/ both feet... Losing weight has increased my flexibility.

* On that same note, being able to sit comfortably "Indian-style" with crossed legs.

I'm sure there's more, but there has been plenty of results that have kept me motivated along the way!

gallusgal 01-24-2010 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by showmenow (Post 1597)
Hello cheekbones- goodbye double chin!! You started my day off right with that. :) Way to go!

I can't wait to say goodye to my chins :D

Seriously, the difference your weight loss has made to your face is amazing!

Originally Posted by kathietaylor (Post 1598)
Oh, this thread is a great idea! I have notice my double chin is much smaller and my face doesn't look swollen anymore...I suspect drinking the water has helped with that!

I always had quite a small face, well at 5'2 I had a small frame. I can't believe how big I have gotten ad my face in those Christmas pics horrified me! I have saved them to my PC so if I ever feel like falling off the wagon I can look at them and they will remind me! So far so good though, I am actually enjoying what I am eating and heven't been tempted yet :)

Originally Posted by mfagerstrom (Post 1664)
Nice job on the weight loss so far. Keep it up!

During my "journey" I've come across quite a few nice little milestones that I've enjoyed hitting.

* After suffering with heartburn for over two years... I was amazed to see that it went completely away after I dipped under 300 lbs.

* Also after going below 300 or so, I no longer got pains in my calves from just walking around.

* When clothes become too baggy

* Fitting into a lower size

* This is a huge one... when the clothes from my closet that had been too small for years finally became too big.

* Lost my double chin (finally decided to shave my beard, there's nothing there to hide anymore)

* Having to buckle my belt one notch tighter... then having to buy a new belt and having to keep buckling that one another notch tighter.

* Kind of a weird one, but it made me happy... being able to touch my big toe to my nose w/ both feet... Losing weight has increased my flexibility.

* On that same note, being able to sit comfortably "Indian-style" with crossed legs.

I'm sure there's more, but there has been plenty of results that have kept me motivated along the way!

Again, the difference to your face is absolutely amazing. Thanks for posting your milestones. People like you and showmenow and your successes are also very motivational for me, I look at your achievements and KNOW it can be done!

I met my sister for coffee yesterday and she commented on my face as well, she asked right away if I had lost weight since the last time I saw her a couple of weeks ago. So my second little victory is that people are actually noticing :D

eaglenana 01-29-2010 12:08 AM

A couple of people at work also noticed and asked if I am losing weight this week. Another nice motivator!

kathietaylor 01-29-2010 03:31 AM

This week I have noticed - again the face and neck are looking slimmer. My "fat pants" are falling down and I need a belt!! And as odd as this sounds, I am more comfortable in my own skin....I mean physically more comfortable. I can sit with my laptop on the sofa and not feel like I am pregnant!! That big belly feeling is not comfortable at all. Same with the double chin, I can look down without feeling like a have a big tight scarf wrapped around my neck. Yup, it feels GOOD to shed that unwanted "me"!! LOL!!

gallusgal 01-30-2010 11:31 PM

well done eaglenana and kathie! I am getting comments at work too, probably due to the fact that I have dropped a size and my work clothes (tops, trousers and skirts) are too big for me now! And as a reward, hubby is forking out for some new clothes for me which I have no objections to whatsoever. :p

For the first time in a long time I am looking forward to clothes shopping. I know I have a long way to go, but I feel so much better about myself already!

kathietaylor 01-31-2010 04:04 AM

gallusgal, that is great!!! Buying smaller clothes is so exciting!!

I looked at some photos taken a week before christmas with my daughter and sister and both commented on how much thinner I look now! My daughter said " And that outfit looked GREAT on you, you should wear it NOW, you'll look fantastic!" That was a lovely pat on the back.

My husband commented on how much smaller by belly is now. So things are happening!!

gallusgal 02-08-2010 08:58 AM

Hi Kathie, and well done! I did buy some new clothes and I have dropped a size, but I didn't buy too much as I intend to be down another before too long! :D
I was away with my hubby at the weekend (he is superfit!) and it was great to be able to keep up with him when we went for a long hike! I was so happy not to have the back pain I used to get when walking for a while, in fact I feel so much more energetic now and I actually WANT to exercise! Just over a month since I decided to make the change, and I feel ( and look) so much better for it already. It is great to come on here and see how everyone else is doing, keep up the good work Kathie and all of you!

kathietaylor 02-09-2010 03:12 AM

Hey gall, I am fitting into some of my skinny clothes now! Yay! And I have a waistline again. The scale is not reflecting these changes, which is frustrating the heck out of me. How can I be getting noticably smaller, but not losing?? Oh well, I am not going to give up. I am also hoping to see some lower cholesterol numbers and blood sugar numbers the next time I get blood work done...those will be the true measure of my success.

staceyalberta 02-09-2010 03:18 AM

Just wanted to say GREAT job on focusing on the NSV (non-scale victories) we get so caught up in the number on the scale, but the non-scale ones in the end actually feel way better. One I always loved were the measurements seeing how many inches I had come down. That was always an eye opener. If you are not taking you measurements you should today & then two weeks from now & be amazed...lol.

gallusgal 02-10-2010 05:01 AM

Hey Kathie, don't worry about the scales too much, your body is changing and the scales don't know that! You are doing great, feeling and looking better and that can only be a good thing.

Hi Stacy I am going to take my measurements tonight, what a great idea! I am already fitting into clothes that I haven't worn in a long time and that is such a great feeling. It will be good to see the inches come off using an actual tape measure :)

kathietaylor 02-10-2010 08:32 AM

When doing the measurement, I only do the chest/waist/hips...I skip the neck and thighs, etc. I have lost 2 inches off the chest, 3 off the waist and 1 off the hips (which are not overly big to start with) for a total of 6 inches!! thats seems pretty good to me!

kaskat 02-10-2010 08:41 AM

I am really happy today and just feel like sharing. Started with FITDAY January 25 at 216 lbs....today I hit the 10 lb loss mark ....YIPEEEE.....
I thought I would take measurements every time I lost 10 lbs so today I so far have lost 7.75 inches total !! FITDAY has made such a difference in my life. It`s making me accountable. I now realize that even all those small changes in lifestyle really do make a difference !! I look forward to a new and improved me.
I love reading these forums ...hearing about everyones successes and struggles along their road to healthiness. It is really nice knowing that there are so many people in the same boat as me. WE CAN DO THIS !!! :)

mfagerstrom 02-10-2010 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by kaskat (Post 3072)
I am really happy today and just feel like sharing. Started with FITDAY January 25 at 216 lbs....today I hit the 10 lb loss mark ....YIPEEEE.....
I thought I would take measurements every time I lost 10 lbs so today I so far have lost 7.75 inches total !! FITDAY has made such a difference in my life. It`s making me accountable. I now realize that even all those small changes in lifestyle really do make a difference !! I look forward to a new and improved me.
I love reading these forums ...hearing about everyones successes and struggles along their road to healthiness. It is really nice knowing that there are so many people in the same boat as me. WE CAN DO THIS !!! :)

Great job!

I just got done with an almost 3 month plateau... I was so frustrated with it until I measured myself. I hadn't done so since the plateau began and was happy to see I lost an inch of flab on my upper arms, 2 inches off my chest, 4 off my waist, 3 off my hips and 1 off my thighs.

The scale definitely isn't the end-all when it comes to how well you're doing with your fat loss! :)

hollyhock725 02-14-2010 11:10 PM

I put on a way-too-expensive dress that I bought THREE years ago with the intent of losing another 5 pounds to make it fit "just right" well I gained. now i have lost almost 20 and am 10 under my weight when I bought the dress. Wore it Yesterday, and totally got checked out at the grocery store... by someone I went to H.S with and didn't recognize me, no less!

gallusgal 02-14-2010 11:35 PM

Well done everyone! It is such a great feeling to get into clothes that used to be too small! Kaskat, 7.75 inches is awesome! I have just started with the measuring and wish I had done it sooner :mad:

Hollyhock I bought a dress before Christmas, I couldn't even zip it up all the way and was so embarrassed by the way I looked in it that I hung it in the closet and tried to forget about it. I wore it for Valentine's day and it looked great! Well done on your dress and on getting checked out in it! :D

lemonthyme 03-29-2010 03:26 PM

One of the benefits of recording what you eat daily

Daily recording of my food has made me calm when I see the scale jump a couple of pounds, usually right before I drop lower than I was before the temporary gain. I know I didn't eat an extra 7000 calories so I don't sweat the 2# fluxuations. If I didn't over eat I didn't gain fat. So I am no longer phased by the scale. As long as I am following my plan the weight comes off.
The scale does not determine what I will weigh, I do. I am loving this feeling of freedom and the confidence gained through recording food and exercise.

almeeker 03-29-2010 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by hollyhock725 (Post 3441)
I put on a way-too-expensive dress that I bought THREE years ago with the intent of losing another 5 pounds to make it fit "just right" well I gained. now i have lost almost 20 and am 10 under my weight when I bought the dress. Wore it Yesterday, and totally got checked out at the grocery store... by someone I went to H.S with and didn't recognize me, no less!

Now that is funny!!! Way to go.

Very nice thread idea BTW. So far the little things I've noticed are, when I put my elbow on the table and my chin in my hand, I can feel the bones in my face and in the end of my elbow against the table. There used to be a lot of cush there. I can also see the bottom of my rib cage when I belly dance for the bathroom mirror. When I lay on my side I can't stack my knees on top of each other anymore, it's bone on bone and it actually hurts. And my forearms are getting quite nice muscle definition in them, from the elliptical no less. I've also noticed a sharp decrease in the number of days a week I have heart burn, and my GI track is more on-track, I haven't take Imodium in weeks (used to take it at least 2X a week min). Oh and I'm COLD ALL THE TIME. Which might sound like a bad thing, but believe me it's better than dripping sweat from walking across the parking lot.

SerenityCat 03-30-2010 06:52 AM

What motivates me is reading/seeing all these success stories no matter how small or big the weight loss.

Knowing that one day, I, too, shall come here and post my story and success is really driving me to keep it up no matter how much I might crave something that I've given up that is really, really hard for me to give up. But I'm doing it.

I don't have much to go but it's still constant work.

I'm proud of everyone here. Great job!!! You should all be pleased with yourselves.

(And yes, seeing your face look good instead of like you just got stung by a thousand bees or losing that horrifying double chin, (I just noticed I was starting to get one...eeewww!) or even having a pair of pants you love fit again, loosely, are all great motivators to keep going.)

It's only been one week for me but I've lost 5.5 pounds as of the scale this morning. I started last Monday, cheated on Tuesday when I was frustrated being told I was doing it wrong, decided to go to what I knew works and began again on Wednesday morning instead of giving up.

I'm keeping a log of my weight as well as my BMI. Seeing those numbers go down is highly motivating.

ivywinter 04-11-2010 04:40 AM

Ok, so here's my little achievement that makes me feel good! First let me set up where i'm at...

I'm a petite person, and was never one to have to worry about weight, but im totally out of shape (in the, i may seem thin on the outside but im huffing and puffing after a couple flights of stairs way) and pretty damn weak. I always struggled carrying home a couple of grocery bags and would never get all the food i needed in one go because i just couldn't carry it. My boyfriend and my dad would always say it's cuz i'm "little" (i'm 5'2) but that gets tiring. It may be cute to them but it's disappointing to me.

Well, i decided a week and a half ago that I'm done sitting around and letting my muscles waste away, and feeling like i can't do something as simple as that. I started cardio and weight training, and lots of strength exercises, as well as eating healthier and making a conscious effort to get in more protein. I'm happy to say i went grocery shopping today and carried home a bunch of heavy cans and liquids home that normally i would avoid buying so many in one go, and was just fine! I didn't really tire out til i reached my block, and normally i get tired at the half way point (it's about a 10 minute walk between my house and my grocery store).

I know it's a small thing, but it made me feel sooo good and like i could do it on my own without having anyone help me or without having to take a million rests in between.

almeeker 04-11-2010 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ivywinter (Post 8150)
I'm a petite person, and was never one to have to worry about weight, but im totally out of shape (in the, i may seem thin on the outside but im huffing and puffing after a couple flights of stairs way) and pretty damn weak. I always struggled carrying home a couple of grocery bags and would never get all the food i needed in one go because i just couldn't carry it. My boyfriend and my dad would always say it's cuz i'm "little" (i'm 5'2) but that gets tiring. It may be cute to them but it's disappointing to me.

I know it's a small thing, but it made me feel sooo good and like i could do it on my own without having anyone help me or without having to take a million rests in between.

You go girl. And you know what, you're dad and your BF are dead wrong. I'm also 5'-2", and the oldest of 3 farm raised kids. Out of necessity my folks worked me like a man. Believe me you can be tiny and dainty and still built like a field stone privy.

lulabellabeauty 04-15-2010 05:00 PM

Yeah I have noticed that my clothes look better on me and Im better able to hide my bellY!! lol (still have some more weight to lose) ALso, I liked that my brother noticed. Since he is a guy and doesn't notice those things. Also, my friends comment and say nice things and then keep saying they need to do what im doing!! Oh and my face doesn't look so "puffy". My thighs also don't rub together!! That's a big one for me!! and i can also cross my legs!! Also another biggie for me!!

jenningslm 04-28-2010 03:00 AM

For me it's when I think that I may be down a pant size, I'm afraid to go to the mall and try them on incase I'm wrong, but I do and I am down a size. It's so motivating and makes me more determined to stay on track and find new ideas to make my lifestyle even healthier.

wannabefitgrl 04-30-2010 12:47 PM

I've dropped a couple of sizes, so I know what everyone means about buying new clothes (although I'm spending a fortune on new clothes!).

A week or two ago a girl at work commented that "my arms are the same size all the way down". I've always had to buy shirts bigger to fit my flabby arms and that's not a problem anymore! I just loved that she noticed.

And sometimes my boyfriend grabs my waist and tells me how little I'm getting. We were shopping over the weekend and I got a dress that's a bit too tight (call it my slutty dress at the moment!). But he just says "might as well get it, you'll lose a few pounds anyway and then it will fit perfect and won't have to stay your 'slutty dress'". He's the one person who knows how hard I'm working and it's great when he notices.

I like the milestones in my workouts too...I can lift heavier weights or pump out a few more reps. Those little things feel great too! Keep up the great work everyone and keep up the support.

oldfashionedanne 06-22-2010 07:33 AM

My pajamas aren't stretched tight across my belly like they used to be. Every night this makes me happy :D I think I'll keep wearing them to my goal weight :D

cjohnson728 06-22-2010 09:23 AM

Yesterday when I got dressed for work and came downstairs, my 13 year old son told me I had a "really small waist, Mom!"

The last time the child commented on my body was at age 7, when he told the chiropractor I had big thighs. Unfortunately, that has gone down in the family annals and is still being joked about six years later, but at least I feel like I get the last laugh :D.

Lizzycritter 06-22-2010 12:27 PM

Underneath a certain set of scrubs, I wear a skin-tight Spandex tank top because they're low-rise pants, and that means my undies peek out when I bend over. Today, that tank top wouldn't stay down, it was driving me nuts! When I got home and changed my clothes, I realized why it wouldn't stay down....the Spandex isn't skin tight anymore :eek:

wannabefitgrl 06-24-2010 01:38 AM

Here's something I've recently noticed...it's been easier for me to lose 55+ pounds in the last 2 years than it has to for me to grow out my nails...how funny is that...

wannabefitgrl 06-26-2010 09:35 AM

couple more for me...

Was at my best friend's bday party today and her mom was there for a few minutes. She hasn't seen me in almost two years. She hugged me and said "where's the rest of you..." Then one of my college friends, who hasn't seen me since January, told me that I've 'evaporated'...the compliments were awesome and made my day!

Orleans279 07-12-2010 05:49 PM

I lost 80 pounds two years ago using FitDay. I remember the first time I was washing my face and I could feel the bones around my eyes for the first time in years.
There were many other moments like that but that was the first one I remember like that.

ivey6 07-15-2010 12:49 PM

jeans are getting big on me. They keep falling down :D

farahb7 07-16-2010 06:14 AM

i thought i used to be much smaller before, but since my normal jeans were getting too big for me, just out of curiosity, i tried my very old jeans on, the ones that i could not fit in for so long, but guess what? even those were too big!!!!!!
and for the first time in so many years, i'm wearing mini skirts again!!!!!

gallusgal 07-26-2010 01:14 AM

Well guys, that's me just above the 50lb loss mark. I was a UK size 20 in trousers and skirts when I started, I am now a size 14. It was my birthday at the weekend so I am shopping for new clothes this week, but not spending too much as I still have a way to go. I held up those size 20's this morning and couldn't believe the size of them! I am no longer obese, and my BMI is in the healthy range, I just wanted to share with you all. Keep at it, it is possible to see massive change in the short space of 6 months! Good luck to everyone :)

JulieTM 07-26-2010 04:49 AM

Something my bf noticed is that my back feels muscular! He put his hand around my waste, and was amazed at how good my back felt after a week of jogging.

That definitely makes me want to keep going :)

Michellebelle_05 07-30-2010 11:04 AM

I didn't snack at all at work today! I know that doesn't seem like much, but this is "little accomplishments that keep up motivated" right? I work at Sonic and they have that little table full of broken up reeses, oreos, snickers, m&m's, and butterfinger, as well as the campfire blast marshmallows. It has been almost impossible to not have at least one or two pieces and I have finally turned over temptation and am so excited!

WeightlossBoo 08-01-2010 02:10 AM

I'm only 22lbs and 5 weeks in, but I've noticed how much better my skin is. No more spots or elephant elbows. :)
My favourite jeans don't cut in anymore either. I'm looking forward to wearing the next size down soon!