FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Success Stories (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/)
-   -   How long before ????????? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/1928-how-long-before.html)

snafuken 09-05-2010 08:44 AM

How long before ?????????

Ok, On the lighter side of weight loss (Pun intended)
How many pounds did you have to lose before you heard one of the following ?
1)Have you lost weight?
2) You been working out?
3) Something is different about you ?
4) Are you sick?
5) Are you on a diet ?
6)ETC.....

Any humorous answers would be great to read.
:D

fletch8502 09-05-2010 10:38 AM

I think it took about 10 lbs before I started to hear #1, 2, and 5. And I loved answering every one with pride!

A funny one was when I traveled to see family after losing about 25 lbs. My uncle said, "I think you left something in NC!" Confused, I asked, "What?" He responded, "About half of you!"

It wasn't really half, but it still made me smile. =)

Luckygir15 09-06-2010 10:49 AM

After about 20 pounds I started to hear it. More so from people who haven't seen me in a while.

"OMG, you must have lost weight????!!!"
"You look great!"

almeeker 09-06-2010 01:11 PM

I think the first 20 pounds came out of my chin and cheeks, so right away people were saying "YOU'VE LOST WEIGHT". But I was cold most of the winter and spring so I was wearing layers and layers of clothes that were sizes too big for me. Along came summer and I had to go buy clothes that fit me, I had hit maybe the 70 pound mark at that time and the reaction I got from people was hilarious, jaws literally dropping open. I think maybe the funniest reaction was from a woman I haven't seen in maybe 2 years, she shook her finger at me and said "there's something different about you, what is it?". So dry as toast I said "I've lost 80 pounds?". And out of her mouth instantaneously is "No no, that's not it".

I think maybe the best thing about having lost 80+ pounds is that I can look and smell like poo, be running around in filthy holey clothing, my hair in a snarled dirty mess, and still people are like "You look fantastic!!!".

blinkblink 09-06-2010 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 20414)
I think maybe the best thing about having lost 80+ pounds is that I can look and smell like poo, be running around in filthy holey clothing, my hair in a snarled dirty mess, and still people are like "You look fantastic!!!".

That is hilarious, and also amazing. Congratulations on your weight loss!

missmaggieelizabeth 09-06-2010 05:16 PM

OH Wahhh No one is really noticing I have lost 21 pounds except my husband and he says when he hugs me there is less to hug. And I have noticed in my clothes. I bought some that were just a little too snug because I thought it would give me more motivation and I loved the dresses I bought. I have already had to take two dresses in and one before I even got to wear it. So I am happy. The most I notice is in my face and what used to be big time double chin is now sagging wrinkles on my neck. and my arms are starting to sag. That is totally fine with me. Smaller is good. Hoping to tone up eventually.

Maggie

snafuken 09-11-2010 06:54 AM

Hey,
Was sitting around Friday night with a few friends and we started talking about weight loss.Low and behold one of them just blurts out "It's obvious that you've lost some weight"
That sure felt nice to hear!And what was even better was how collectively they all showed support for my efforts.

Lizzycritter 09-11-2010 07:31 AM

About 25 lbs and a new set of scrubs is where I started to hear it. I'm also able to wear my hair up at work now, I've been growing it out. A lot more people are noticing now that my hair is up. No more double chin and I have cheekbones again :D. The dark circles are worse now that my face is thinner, genetics are to blame for that-deep set Irish eyes. And the upper arms are a little flabby but that's OK because my sleeves aren't too tight anymore.

almeeker 09-13-2010 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter (Post 20781)
About 25 lbs and a new set of scrubs is where I started to hear it. I'm also able to wear my hair up at work now, I've been growing it out. A lot more people are noticing now that my hair is up. No more double chin and I have cheekbones again :D. The dark circles are worse now that my face is thinner, genetics are to blame for that-deep set Irish eyes. And the upper arms are a little flabby but that's OK because my sleeves aren't too tight anymore.

Good grief we are related. That was one negative thing for me and losing weight was the dark circles under my very Irish eyes. But a trip to Florida and some nice summer color has fixed it for the moment. My arms got pretty flabby too, but I've been going to OT for my shoulder, which has actually made quite a difference in my upper body, and the extra muscle is taking up the slack, as it were...

trixanget 09-17-2010 03:36 AM

I just got started a couple of weeks ago...

Hi everyone! I just found this site a couple of weeks ago...decided I was going to get healthy. I am NOT dieting....I am making a permanent change....
I have decided to be conscious of what goes in my mouth, be honest with myself about it, and never look back. I have lost 8 pounds so far...
I know the loss will slow down...and that's fine. I really don't want to lose more than 1 pound at the most per week. I want to do this SLOWLY...
because I will NOT go back to where I was.

I'm so glad I found fit day...it is an awesome tool!!!!:D

BigBodTodd 10-18-2010 04:43 AM

It took 20 lbs.

Like some of the other posts in this thread, I think my chubby cheeks were most noticeable.

None really funny, but I love it when one friend calls me 'skinny'. Honestly, I'm not there yet, but I love that I've dropped 35 lbs. (New goal is another 30)

My slacks have gone from the painted on look, to hard to keep on!! I've tightened my belt three notches.

me2forever 10-18-2010 05:16 AM

Almost 20 pounds gone and not one person has even said a thing........

cjohnson728 10-18-2010 06:44 AM

I was in court the other day and one of the attorneys I hadn't seen in a while stopped me and said I looked so different with my hair longer.

My hair hasn't changed. But I am 20 pounds lighter.

People are strange.

Good job, me2forever...I'll say it; I'm sure you look great! And healthy :)

lindafaust 10-21-2010 11:31 PM

I was at my daughters' swim meet and the coach asked the girls if their dad had remarried. I had lost 110 lbs. over 15 years (but the last 60 lbs. were over 1 year). I had also "became" blond and started working out. That was in 2002. We have been together since 1970 and it definately gave the marriage a midlife kickstart rather than a midlife crisis.

justawalker 10-23-2010 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by lindafaust (Post 23723)
I was at my daughters' swim meet and the coach asked the girls if their dad had remarried. I had lost 110 lbs. over 15 years (but the last 60 lbs. were over 1 year). I had also "became" blond and started working out. That was in 2002. We have been together since 1970 and it definately gave the marriage a midlife kickstart rather than a midlife crisis.

People are so jealous some times. I have people tell me "you dont want to lose any more weight to look haggard" or " when one gets older you shouldnt get that skinny because your skin sags"
Makes me laugh there skin sags ang they are fat and out of shape as wel lol

path75 10-23-2010 01:32 PM

About 50lbs lost...

I work in an office of a factory with 4 people, two men and two women. The one woman kept saying the first 15lbs or so that it is water weight??? That made me laugh. Now, the second woman was nice about it and kept making comments after about 20lbs lost. I really just thought she was being nice by saying I am shrinking and I don't need to lose any more or how much more are you going to lose. After about 50lbs I was getting comments from people I don't talk to at the factory I work at. Even the two guys I work with said good job. I had people stopping me asking what I am doing and come to find out I didn't know that everyone in the factory was talking about my weight loss even though they don't know my name. I have now lost 65 lbs and still get comments. Just last week I had a woman look at me and say no your not her. There is a girl here who lost alot of weight and I thought it was you. I said it is me and she congratulated me. It is just funny that the woman in my office who said I lost water weight at first has not had one good comment about my weight loss. Some people just have nothing to say. You just have to keep going and do it for yourself. Don't stop because someone else. I think people get jealous and don't want you to look better than them. To everyone keep up the good work!

Lovedogs4ever 11-21-2010 02:00 PM

Well my weight loss began at college and NEVER ONCE in the whole year did anyone mention my weight loss. I mean I lived in a girls dorm for crying out loud and they were always talking about weight and food and dieting and all but no one said a word to me. I could see and feel the difference in my body though and that was enough for me.
But when I went home for breaks everyone was talking to me about it, so it started at around 30ish pounds.
One lady was like "Oh My Goodness, you have a waist!!!" (10 people must have heard her say that, it was at a wedding, rather embarrashing!)
An Uncle told me, "Wow, you sure are a knock out!"
Another lady, "You just have to throw out your clothes" *grabs excess cloth* "I can hardly find you in there!"

tandoorichicken 11-21-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 23432)
People are strange.

You should know that! Aren't you a psychologist? :p

I always used to be a skinny-fat kid. Like really tall and lanky, with a slightly protruding gut. People used to think I'd blow over in high winds.

Anyways, a couple years ago I started working out seriously, and putting on muscle. The weirdest part was, every time I'd visit my family, they would think that I was losing more and more weight!

angel_nie13 12-07-2010 01:16 PM

It took about 15 pounds or so before people started noticing. I've had supportive comments like one of the trainers at the gym who told me he's seen me working hard and it shows, or one of my students who said, "my mom wants to know how you lost so much weight. She said you look skinny." There have also been comments that I think are odd- but still motivate me, such as my friend's husband who told me to stop losing weight and I shouldn't lose any more, my hairdresser also told me I don't need to lose any more weight, and my boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who was leaving said, "Bye skinny. Don't lose any more weight before the next time I see you." It in a way can be frustrating though because you think ya they are right, I look good. Then I think, wait a minute, I'm still overweight... maybe they are just trying to trick me. I guess it's just nice that people notice and that's the motivation in itself.

nottango 12-07-2010 01:36 PM

I've lost ~25 pounds, very gradually over almost 6 months. I returned from a run one day last week, and had peeled off the top layers of clothes. I was reaching for something while wearing my sports bra, and my 8 yr old daughter looked at me and said "Mommy you're skinny!" Made my day! I don't want her to ever have weight issues like I have, so have been very careful to not discuss weight loss with her.

vabeachgirlNYC 12-07-2010 04:50 PM

People seemed to notice on me right away. They want to know how many "pounds" I have lost. Not many, I just don't carry any extra weight well because I get bloated and puffy so it always looks like more. http://www.snay.org/menshealth/forum...o-rolleyes.gif

My before and after picture was a 4&1/2 pound difference. I know my weight lifting had a lot to do with it, because muscle replaced a lot of the fat and takes up way less room! http://www.snay.org/menshealth/forum...ns/emo-yes.gif

mecompco 12-15-2010 01:02 AM

Well, I'm down roughly 120 or thereabouts (having been over the scale's 400 lb. capacity when I started in May) and finally within the last couple of weeks people are starting to (publicly) notice.

I'm sure many noticed before, but for people who see you every day it is kind of a gradual thing. And, I'm sure many are too polite to mention it. I have gotten quite a few "how are you doing?" type of comments--I think people may wonder about various medical conditions that can cause weigt loss.

Oh, and I love the "so, how are you doing it?" question. I tell everyone I found this radical new diet concept--"eat less and exercise more". :D

Regards,
Michael

lynette185 12-15-2010 02:35 AM

Michael, that is just amazing progress. You should be so proud of yourself.

I've always thought that when it takes 50-75 pounds for anyone to notice I've lost weight ("have you done something different to your hair?") it's because once I fall into the category of very fat, it's just sort of all encompassing.

Most people look and think "wow, she's very fat," and they don't bother to break it down into degrees. So when I'm losing, but still very fat, it doesn't register.