FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Success Stories (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/)
-   -   Burned a Boatload of Calories this past weekend... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/1613-burned-boatload-calories-past-weekend.html)

sw07 07-26-2010 03:51 AM

Burned a Boatload of Calories this past weekend...

Amazingly I'm relatively free from any soreness today:D

I ran a 5k race on Saturday, placed 166th out of 1075 Overall and finished 10th out of 30 in my age division. I also beat my previous 5k run time by 3 1/2 minutes.

Sunday-I just got a new bicycle comp and had to try it out. Went for a 21 mile bike ride along the American River bike trail which took 1:40.
I was feeling whupped at the end of day tho......I think I was in bed by 8:30.

So what did you'all do over the weekend?

mtlgirl 07-26-2010 04:08 AM

Wow, that is amazing, SW! Good for you. I find this very inspiring. I really would like to be able to run a 5k race!

I had an active weekend too.. maybe not compared to yours though. On Saturday I went for a run: 28 minutes of running and 15 minutes of powerwalking. Then Sunday I went for an 8K powerwalk mostly uphill. After that I went for a 25-minute bike ride, also going up and down hills. Later, I shopped with my Mom for 3 hours and if any of you knew my mom you would know what crazy shopping marathons that little lady can go on! ;)

sw07 07-26-2010 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by mtlgirl (Post 16820)
Wow, that is amazing, SW! Good for you. I find this very inspiring. I really would like to be able to run a 5k race!

I had an active weekend too.. maybe not compared to yours though. On Saturday I went for a run: 28 minutes of running and 15 minutes of powerwalking. Then Sunday I went for an 8K powerwalk mostly uphill. After that I went for a 25-minute bike ride, also going up and down hills. Later, I shopped with my Mom for 3 hours and if any of you knew my mom you would know what crazy shopping marathons that little lady can go on! ;)

No need to compare, as long as your out there making an effort, it's all good:D
It took me a while to get the strength & confidence to run with a bunch of strangers, but it's really no big deal now....
I'm working my way up to running 10k events because there's a couple of events that I want to enter next year.

The Eppie's Great Race Triathlon (gonna try the IronMan Div.) TheGreat Race 37
and Tough Mudder the toughest one day endurance race on the planet - Tough Mudder < this one looks scary:eek:, but brutally tempting....

JulieTM 07-26-2010 04:45 AM

Good for you!

Friday night I jogged one mile in pretty good time, did three 400m sprints and two 100m dashes.
Then Saturday I went swimming for two hours.
But Sunday I didn't do anything! I went shopping, instead :)

Still, I'm feeling pretty good this morning. And this is the first Monday I've had in a while where my scale gave me a smaller number than it read on Friday!

Weekend exercise seems to be the thing - I just need to keep at it ;)

mfagerstrom 08-16-2010 03:10 AM

Very nice.

I went for a long bike ride yesterday, rode 53 miles in about 4 hours (including 30 mins rest)... I had a great time, at least until it started pouring. I got soaked during the last 15 miles or so. My GPS watch/heart monitor said I burned around 4300 calories.

sw07 08-23-2010 04:24 AM

Dang! 53 miles....thats awesome. After 17miles, I started to get monkey butt....

Just did a weekend of waterskiing,tubing and an attempt at wake boarding..
Feelin' sore, but in a good way....

mtlgirl 08-23-2010 05:01 AM

Great work, Guys!

I have a question for you athletic types. I am running my first 5K race this coming Thursday. I started running on May 26th and now I can run 5K in just under 35 minutes. I don't care where I place. It's just a HUGE accomplishment for me to be able to do this considering how unbelievably out of shape I was just 3 months ago. Do you have any tips on what and when I should eat the day of the race? I am a little nervous to run without my iPod but apparently we are not allowed to wear headphones during the race. Bummer. I use the music tempo to motivate myself.

Any tips would be helpful! Thanks!

sw07 08-23-2010 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mtlgirl (Post 19390)
Great work, Guys!

I have a question for you athletic types. I am running my first 5K race this coming Thursday. I started running on May 26th and now I can run 5K in just under 35 minutes. I don't care where I place. It's just a HUGE accomplishment for me to be able to do this considering how unbelievably out of shape I was just 3 months ago. Do you have any tips on what and when I should eat the day of the race? I am a little nervous to run without my iPod but apparently we are not allowed to wear headphones during the race. Bummer. I use the music tempo to motivate myself.

Any tips would be helpful! Thanks!

Congrats on your 1st 5k race! I'm also running a 5k this Saturday (my 3rd race).
As for pre-race food,I'll eat my usual breakfast (egg white omlette in a whole wheat pita) but I'll eat half of what I usually eat-I still get a lil nervous on race day and can only eat a lil bit.

As for not having an Ipod, that can suck, but once you get into a pack of runners, the energy an adrenaline will kick in and you'll be fine. Just don't start out too fast, I did that on my fist race and had a slight calf pull at the 1st mile marker- not fun.

Make sure you stretch real good prior and don't worry about your time or where you place, just have fun:D

There's some good info here-
Runner's World: Running Shoes, Marathon Training, Racing

mtlgirl 08-23-2010 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sw07 (Post 19405)
Congrats on your 1st 5k race! I'm also running a 5k this Saturday (my 3rd race).
As for pre-race food,I'll eat my usual breakfast (egg white omlette in a whole wheat pita) but I'll eat half of what I usually eat-I still get a lil nervous on race day and can only eat a lil bit.

As for not having an Ipod, that can suck, but once you get into a pack of runners, the energy an adrenaline will kick in and you'll be fine. Just don't start out too fast, I did that on my fist race and had a slight calf pull at the 1st mile marker- not fun.

Make sure you stretch real good prior and don't worry about your time or where you place, just have fun:D

There's some good info here-
Runner's World: Running Shoes, Marathon Training, Racing

Thank you so much for the helpful advice! I've watched a couple of short videos on this site you sent and I'm glad I did. I know I was on the right track with my thinking so that's good.

I think I'll try to do my run tomorrow without music to see how it goes, so that race day isn't the first time I have to do it.

Do you know if all races oblige runners to run without headphones?

Good luck on your race Saturday! :)