Notices

Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing

Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Yeah, I get it. But for me, at some point I have to begin trusting my instincts regarding food. At the moment they are mostly good (as I suspect yours are, Cassie). But I know it is tough letting go of the control granted by logging in every morsel, every day. Besides what a great cadre of friends we all have here!

This week has been easy 'cuz of fasting - no logging foods but lots of contact through the forums.

Oh crap!! I've hyjacked the thread again .
Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 AM
FitDay Member

Thread Revival....
I got re-tested today since it's been about 15 months since my last one.
Since that time, my gym membership ran out and I've trying to work out at home and still run quite frequently, but it wasn't enough and I'm now at 18.9% body fat Blech
No biggie, just renewed the gym membership as of yesterday and I started to log all my food again and I've got some long runs planned, just gotta watch the caloric intake.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Glad you bumped this thread. I really want to get mine done, but haven't gotten it together to contact the place and make an appointment. As far as I can tell the closest lab is about an hour away, so that's gotta be taken into account too. But now that the thread has come back up, it reminds me to try to find a date.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by sw07
Thread Revival....
I got re-tested today since it's been about 15 months since my last one.
Since that time, my gym membership ran out and I've trying to work out at home and still run quite frequently, but it wasn't enough and I'm now at 18.9% body fat Blech
No biggie, just renewed the gym membership as of yesterday and I started to log all my food again and I've got some long runs planned, just gotta watch the caloric intake.

IDK, SW... that's still pretty awesome. Good luck getting your "old body" back at the gym. I remember when you were discussing the membership issues - glad you were able to get back to it.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
IDK, SW... that's still pretty awesome. Good luck getting your "old body" back at the gym. I remember when you were discussing the membership issues - glad you were able to get back to it.
Thanks...I knew I would plump up a little once I stopped being a gym rat. I decided to pay in full for a year once I got my tax return back.
I went this morning @ 5:30am and it was a lil weird running on the tredmill, I'd much rather be on the trail somewhere outside.
It's all good tho, I'm shooting for 15% BF for the next re-test in 6 months.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 PM
FitDay Member

Hi guys,
Not sure if this fits in here, but maybe it will help someone out: I just found out yesterday that my University does hydrostatic testing for free (along with VO2 max, caliper measurements, and all sorts of other tests). There's a large exercise science program and students have to do a number of these tests on "clients" to complete their various certifications. It is all done under the supervision of experienced instructors. Sounds a little like getting your hair styled at the local cosmetology school, but maybe a little less scary. It might be worth looking into for folks who can't afford these tests or people that live far away from the usual labs, etc.
Cheers!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

5 months later, retested this morning and got 18.7% bf, not much of a change but I did increase my muscle mass by 3 lbs. and my resting metabolic rate went up some.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I finaly go the chance to get mine done 2 weeks ago --17.7% whoo hoo! We will be retesting 2 weeks from now. I doubt it will change much, but I would love to get down to 15% (and not lower!)
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

I'm shooting for 16% for my next test 6mos from now, I wish I could get back to 11.5% I had a couple years ago.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

I know you were hoping for better numbers but congrats on continuing to make a change in the right direction.