FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Success Stories (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/)
-   -   My "One Year" Mark! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/1302-my-one-year-mark.html)

rommel77 06-11-2010 04:33 PM

My "One Year" Mark!

I don''t know exact date I started but I know it was early June last year so I decided June 5th was my "One Year" mark. Not quite a 6-pack yet but working on it:) Thanks to my parents for letting me use their treadmill and my family & friends for the encouragement along the way. Thank you!!!

Main motivation for this was the previous year I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and started using a CPAP machine to sleep.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4590811_n.jpg

pavanneh 06-11-2010 11:08 PM

The same thing happening to me was my wake up call. It really hit home when I saw myself in that mask and realized I have gotten fat enough to need a CPAP from obstructive sleep apnea. I felt like a big fat elephant. Keep going you are doing great!

NessaSonic 06-12-2010 12:16 AM

you look fantastic! I would consider that a six pack!

bsaz 06-12-2010 01:52 AM

That is amazing! Congrats!

waynegretzky 06-12-2010 03:10 AM

Awesome, way to go!!! That is where i am going...

What height are you?

rommel77 06-12-2010 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by waynegretzky (Post 13269)
What height are you?

5.10" ish

I just starting using fitday last month and it is very helpful. Makes it fun to fine tune the diet to reach my next goal to be under 10% BF and show the 6-pack. Wish I would have found it sooner.

waynegretzky 06-12-2010 05:11 AM

Great stuff, i am 5'9" and 170 is the max for my BMI so actually i should at least go all the way to 165 i am thinking. Yeah i find Fitday invaluable for all the info!

alice6065 06-13-2010 05:42 AM

Sleep Apnea

Congrats on sticking with it for a whole year, AND for the results! I have sleep apnea too. Have you done followup sleep studies as you've lost the weight and lower the amount of air pressure at any particular milestone changes? Are you still using CPAP now?

rommel77 06-13-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by alice6065 (Post 13333)
Congrats on sticking with it for a whole year, AND for the results! I have sleep apnea too. Have you done followup sleep studies as you've lost the weight and lower the amount of air pressure at any particular milestone changes? Are you still using CPAP now?

Thank you! I have not done a follow-up yet because can't afford it even with insurance at the moment. I had been off of it for almost a month but was having trouble just getting to sleep but was sleeping ok once I got to sleep. I have been using it the past couple of nights which helps me get to sleep quicker. I think it will be similar to weening a child off using a bottle, its a comfort level.

How long have you been dealing with your sleep apnea?

almeeker 06-13-2010 10:27 PM

That is sooo awesome!!! Very happy for you. I'm cracking up because you don't look like you anymore, you sort of look like your skinny kid brother... Good luck on weaning off the CPAP machine, my BIL is trying to get off his too, but he needs to lose quite a bit more still.

efduncan 06-13-2010 11:45 PM

You have done great, sure makes me want to do better. Congrats.

bardwere 06-15-2010 05:38 AM

Congrats!!! Just curious...where you on a "special diet"...WW, jenny craig? Just curious.

Rob

rommel77 06-15-2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by bardwere (Post 13489)
Congrats!!! Just curious...where you on a "special diet"...WW, jenny craig? Just curious.

Rob

Thank you and to others for the congrats. I actually did everything on my own from starting to walk everyday, learning how/what to eat and weightlifting. It really has become not only a lifestyle change for me but in a sense a hobby, learning how to better my health.

bardwere 06-15-2010 11:30 AM

Thanks for the response. That’s what I'm doing now. I'm 5'10 and weighed 232 on June 5th. I started running and work-out five days a week doing split work-outs. Not on a diet...life style change. I've already lost 6 pounds. I consume about 1800 calories a day....thanks for the feedback...I’ll keep you posted on my loss...and keep up the good work!!!

MollySue2 06-15-2010 09:36 PM

Amazing job, Rommel77! You look fantastic!

gallusgal 06-15-2010 10:18 PM

absolutely awe inspiring! Well done you on the changes you made and the results you have achieved, you should be very proud of yourself! :)

alice6065 06-26-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by rommel77 (Post 13364)
How long have you been dealing with your sleep apnea?

I was diagnosed in December of 2003 and had the CPAP set at 8. It was really interesting that they said in the sleep study my legs stopped twitching when the pressure got up to about 7. Apparently they twitched every 14 seconds until then - who knew? I suspect I needed the machine a good while before that since I'd been getting complaints about my snoring and I'd been literally falling asleep at work.

In 2007 I was all excited about having lost 40 pounds and wanted another sleep study. I had different insurance, though, and instead of sleeping at the clinic with all sorts of electronics glued to my head, chest, and legs, they just sent me home with a testing CPAP for a few nights that had variable pressure and monitored my breathing somehow. I was VERY disappointed that they turned my machine UP to 10, and I haven't been especially comfortable with it ever since.

After that I gained back 10 of those 40 pounds but managed to stop there and have gotten rid of it again. Since then I've used CPAP sporadically - sometimes I sleep better with it, and sometimes I sleep better without it. I suppose I should insist on a real in-clinic sleep study but I don't feel confident I would get it. Maybe after I lose some more weight I'll ask again.

Lizzycritter 06-27-2010 05:19 AM

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, I'd at least try for the study. My husband has sleep apnea, he put on 15-20 lbs when he first got it. The theory is he wasn't awake all night burning calories tossing and turning. If you're snoring again, it isn't set right.

AliciaNova 06-28-2010 01:22 AM

Congrats - you look great - what a difference a year makes. I know its hard would but look at your accomplishment. Keep up the good work.

rommel77 06-29-2010 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by alice6065 (Post 14529)
I was diagnosed in December of 2003 and had the CPAP set at 8. It was really interesting that they said in the sleep study my legs stopped twitching when the pressure got up to about 7. Apparently they twitched every 14 seconds until then - who knew? I suspect I needed the machine a good while before that since I'd been getting complaints about my snoring and I'd been literally falling asleep at work.

In 2007 I was all excited about having lost 40 pounds and wanted another sleep study. I had different insurance, though, and instead of sleeping at the clinic with all sorts of electronics glued to my head, chest, and legs, they just sent me home with a testing CPAP for a few nights that had variable pressure and monitored my breathing somehow. I was VERY disappointed that they turned my machine UP to 10, and I haven't been especially comfortable with it ever since.

After that I gained back 10 of those 40 pounds but managed to stop there and have gotten rid of it again. Since then I've used CPAP sporadically - sometimes I sleep better with it, and sometimes I sleep better without it. I suppose I should insist on a real in-clinic sleep study but I don't feel confident I would get it. Maybe after I lose some more weight I'll ask again.

I think mine was set for 9 but I havent changed the settings when I do use it. Funny thing is I have been sleeping on my couch without it for a week with good results. For me it seems the more inclined postion I sleep in the better. Keep working at it and good luck:)