Notices

I need some help!!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default I need some help!!!!

Well here's the deal... (here comes a long story). I've been very proud of my weight loss and have made it a passion to help motivate and inspire others, but now I'm in need of some motivation!

I started (and finished) P90X and joined a group of guys on YouTube and we started making videos to hold each other accountable and to motivate others to get in shape. I went from being obese (according to BMI) to having a faint 6 pack. Well I got a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) for Christmas and after doing some heavy cardio I went to return it b/c there was no way it was accurate. My heart rate would get to 185bpm, and I'd keep pushing. I'd peg it at 200bpm!!! I did some research and realized that I could be doing some serious damage to my heart and not know it. So I started taking more breaks and not pushing so hard.

I then discovered that my Adderall that I take can elevate your HR as a side effect. Well I called my doctor and he told me to get off of it. Since then (about 4 weeks) I can't stay focused (b/c I have ADD), my work has suffered and I've had uncontrollable craving. I could eat down a house if I'm not careful. I've noticed that being off of it hasn't helped my HR much, so I'm still cutting back on my cardio and I'm losing motivation.

Between cutting back on my cardio and eating more my "washboard" has washed away, and now I'm disgusted with myself! I need a swift kick in the ass I guess, so I scheduled a weekend trip to Florida in May and another 1/2 marathon (in September in Virgina Beach, Va.)

I hate asking for words of discouragement, especially since I've been to motivator for a while, but I do need some help!

This is my last side-by-side video (which was about a month ago), I'm not too far from where I was last month but I can see myself slipping away. YouTube - P90X YTF&F round 2 day 56 transformation update

Mike
Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Hey Mike! My browser must be messed up cuz I couldn't access your youtube film, but anyways....have you contacted your dr. and discussed your ADD symptoms with him/her? Maybe there's another medication that won't spike your heart rate? I would probably schedule an appt. if you haven't been seen in a while to rule out anything else that could be going on.

This is a temporary speed bump in your quest for a fit healthy body. You've made fantastic progress and even if you have to slow your workouts for a bit, you are still progressing. When I've been injured, I've gotten discouraged too. Then I realized that lots of people work out injured...they just avoid the moves that can exacerbate the injury (or heart rate) and focus on the things they can improve safely while the injury or disorder heals. I realize that doesn't help the ADD symptoms so seeing your doctor could really help.

There's a saying that abs are made in the kitchen. If you have to cut back on the intensity of your cardio, you will probably need to adjust your energy intake a little if you want the 6-pack to show.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Beth, you are right about abs being made in the kitchen. I go to my doctor on a regular basis for blood work (ever since he put me on Adderall). I was ask him about another medicine but I'm not sure if that'll help since it was still getting elevated while off of it for a month. I'm hoping that light cardio (long walks, no running) will build me heart up, after all it is a muscle. I just think the problem may be bigger, so I was trying to work around it. This may be an issue that I've had my entire life and never noticed until now, now that I have a HR monitor.
Thanks Beth, I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
FitDay Member

Hey man...

If you're looking for some motivation, you might want to try out the 52 day challenge over at the Men's Health forums (52 Day Challenge (52DC) - Forum Powered by Social Strata). The next challenge starts up on Wednesday.

You can read the FAQ at the top of the forum there for the full details, but basically you set a number of goals for a 52 day period and then track them over time. There is a thread going every day where you can post your progress and the daily host responds to each person. The community there is great.

There's also very active weight loss and lifting forums there. Feel free to send me a message here or on that set of forums (I'm "merph" on the Men's Health forums) if you have any questions about it.

I'm hooked - the last challenge got me motivated to take running seriously and to begin lifting for the first time in my life. The change in me over a mere 52 days was incredible.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

merph that sounds like a great idea. i'll check it out.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:57 PM
FitDay Member

Cool. If you decide to participate, make sure you post your goals in the signup thread by the end of tomorrow (Tuesday). They don't allow people to join late
Old 03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mfagerstrom
Cool. If you decide to participate, make sure you post your goals in the signup thread by the end of tomorrow (Tuesday). They don't allow people to join late
I'm reading the rules now. Looks interesting for sure.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Damn!!!! I was going to sign up today at work but the LAN line that I'm tied to at my main office won't let me on the site. I won't be home until 6pm CST.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hello fellow ADD... I found this forum via a bodybuilding web site... this is my first post so I hope I do well. Anyway, what I found is that while on medication, our bodies are medicated so when we stop taking a particular med, aka chemical the brain wants it and pushes our cravings in order to medicate. That was what my psychologist told me as he has helped me since I stopped that med as well as Lamictal and even stopped as a matter of fact ALL my medications except for ibuprophen 800's for headaches.

I can say the moderate exercise had not helped level out the moods but the concoction of herbs I learned about and take do help. I take MACA root, and take a rich amount of vitamin products... I think we have my brain as fixed as it can be with the bodybuilding and protein powders which DO help cravings and they are low calorie, high protein.

As for your pulse, I thought the med raised blood pressure and not the pulse? I learned something new...

I want you to please look up cardiac burst training, that actually is better for our weight loss AND better for your heart as you raise your HR, then lower it then raise it, lower it, so on and so forth. You'll find the same if not better results and again try some protein powder, namely a whey and or creatine combo... It isn't just for bodybuilding, it can be helpful as a meal replacement too. One reason I say those vs. atypical meal replacement shake is the Adkins, etc shakes don't have enough protein IMO to stave off cravings and besides, I swear these other kinds taste actually GOOD. I put mine in a blender and add ice to make a creamy almost milk shake type treat.

bob
Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

hey Bob, welcome to the site. I take wheybolic extreme 60 protein daily, I also take a daily mens vitamin. I do need to get back on creatine though and recently discovered that glutemine helps with ADD. That is a huge plus!!!!

As far as cravings, it's usually bad in the evenings. I love but hate late night eating. I did take 1/2 of a 20mg Adderall yesterday afternoon and I felt like the "old me", it was nice. I was able to think straight and my cravings were gone. I only ate b/c I knew I need to, so I was able to eat clean.

My BD is always good (120/80 at most). My HR only goes through the roof during heavy exercising, mainly running or serious cardio. It spike up super fast, but also comes down fast. My resting heart rate is usually mid 60's, which is good, so I'm kinda stumped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.