Notices

About 80 pounds--how I did it

Old 01-10-2010, 04:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default About 80 pounds--how I did it

Briefly--50 yo male, overweight, family history of diabetes, etc. Tried off and on to lose weight with varying success. Something (I don't know what) finally clicked for me, so back in August, I began using FitDay, to log my activities and my intake. The key for me has been being RIGOROUS about logging in EVERYTHING that passes my lips. I also bought an inexpensive food scale, to really accurately measure my portions (in the past I just estimated).

I also began walking for 20 - 25 minutes each morning, and after about a month added the same amount of time on an old exercise bike that has been gathering dust. I also really changed the way I eat--lots more fresh foods, vegetables, citrus fruits, etc. Basically eliminated most breads (except for light wheat) and pastas (very small amounts). Cooked a lot from CookingLight; never felt like I was starving, either, even though I was eating only about 1000-1200 calories a day (might not be recommended for most people).

And it's worked. From a start of 258, I'm down to about 180 right now. Feel great, more active, new clothes, more confident--all the good stuff. I have in the last few weeks added some free weights and some resistance bands to tone up and build some muscle. My wife is very happy also!

So--be rigorous (obssessed almost) and honest and watch your portions--it will work for you too.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

Fresh food, light on the carbs, and exercise. Wow. You're a winner, and deserve to be. Congratulations and best wishes.

P. S. I really value Fitday for helping me keep track of stuff. I need to hold myself accountable, and it works.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 AM
FitDay Member

Good job! I lost #165 with diet and exercise, and people ask me how i did it, my response 1/3 was controlling food intake, 1/3 exercise, and 1/3 figuring out why i overate and worked on those issues.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 PM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks!

I agree--one of the best things about this program is that it helps you keep track of what is going on--or in!

People often ask me "How did you do it?" I think they are looking for me to say "Oh, it was MagicWeightLossPill" or "I did the LowCarbWatermelonColonFlush diet" or something else. They seem disappointed that I achieved my weight loss "the old-fashioned way."
Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Awesome. My issue is my blood pressure and cholesterol, so I am going to do something about it. I'm 5 feet 10 -- weigh 220 -- a few years ago, I lost 20 lbs but gained it back gradually. When I was about 200 ibs I didn't need my blood pressure meds, now I do. As for my cholesterol, it's come down a bunch, but that is due to the medication I take and the drop in alcoholic beverages that use to raise my triglycerides.

So your story is inspiring and I see that it's doable. That said, hope I can share my success story here too. Thanks, from Dom.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:03 AM
FitDay Member

I just started my dieting more or less my life style change.so far this sit seems to be helpful.tracking what i eat makes me realize what i am eatting.my mom watched what she ate..instead of her worrying about portions she ate progresso soups and 100 calorie packs of sweets..was easy and easy on the go way to do it..so i'm trying it she went from 204 to 139 in around 6 months just eating right.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davidhdunn
Briefly--50 yo male, overweight, family history of diabetes, etc. Tried off and on to lose weight with varying success. Something (I don't know what) finally clicked for me, so back in August, I began using FitDay, to log my activities and my intake. The key for me has been being RIGOROUS about logging in EVERYTHING that passes my lips. I also bought an inexpensive food scale, to really accurately measure my portions (in the past I just estimated).

I also began walking for 20 - 25 minutes each morning, and after about a month added the same amount of time on an old exercise bike that has been gathering dust. I also really changed the way I eat--lots more fresh foods, vegetables, citrus fruits, etc. Basically eliminated most breads (except for light wheat) and pastas (very small amounts). Cooked a lot from CookingLight; never felt like I was starving, either, even though I was eating only about 1000-1200 calories a day (might not be recommended for most people).

And it's worked. From a start of 258, I'm down to about 180 right now. Feel great, more active, new clothes, more confident--all the good stuff. I have in the last few weeks added some free weights and some resistance bands to tone up and build some muscle. My wife is very happy also!

So--be rigorous (obssessed almost) and honest and watch your portions--it will work for you too.
Thank you for sharing. Very insrining and gives hope! God Bless you <3
Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davidhdunn

Thank you so much for sharing your success story. It is particularly heartening for me as I am taking much the same approach towards my weight loss. In the past when I tried to lose weight it seems I was always kidding myself about my true weight, how much I was eating etc. I just wasn't committed enough I suppose. This time, something really has clicked and I am determined to lose the weight and get to feeling fit and healthy again. Fit day is an excellent tool for this and so far I have been rigorous and if I ever feel disheartened or tempted I will refer back to your excellent post to keep me motivated! Thanks again, I hope to post a similar success story one of these days!

Last edited by gallusgal; 01-11-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

I am 5'6, 195 lbs.

I want to get to 175 by March! Keep me motivated guys!!! These stories are wonderful! I have changed my diet--a total 360 degree change.

Now my diet consists of vegetables, fruits, cereal, fish, and chicken.

We are looking at 1500 per day. I lift weights 4 times a week, for an hour, and 30 minutes running at 5.5 mph on the treadmill.

I am ready to make a change for good!! I have never felt so good. I started January 4.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

Location: We live in the good old state of Indiana. Living in the country is awesome!

Hey guy's! I to am on a new journey. Being 202lbs at 5'2, and being a diabetic, Iv'e got some work cut out for me! I started my new way of life on 1/11/10. So this is just my 4th day. My blood suger on that day was 349! (with insulin) Today, it was 150! Also have lost 6 lbs.! I am so motivated! Thanks to Fitday I am recording everything! It has really been helpful to see my progress on charts and graphs. If you can, drop me a line to encourage me along my way! I'm a mother of 5 and my husband and I foster children.So things are pretty hectic around here to say the least! Finally, I am taking care of myself so I can be here for my little ones, and my family!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.