Notices

About 80 pounds--how I did it

Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davidhdunn
People often ask me "How did you do it?" I think they are looking for me to say "Oh, it was MagicWeightLossPill" or "I did the LowCarbWatermelonColonFlush diet" or something else. They seem disappointed that I achieved my weight loss "the old-fashioned way."

Yes! I am nowhere near as far along as you on my weight loss journey; I've only lost five pounds so far, but even so I've had a couple people ask me what I'm doing and they seem really disappointed and then completely disinterested when I say, "I'm eating healthy, counting calories and kicking my butt at the gym at least three days a week." Their faces just glaze over and you can tell that inwardly they're saying, "Oh, work. No thanks."

I mean, yeah. I would much rather eat a cheesecake for dinner and lay on the couch all day not moving and still lose weight too, but it's not going to happen.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 PM
FitDay Member

So--be rigorous (obssessed almost) and honest and watch your portions--it will work for you too.
YES! That is what works for me, too. Otherwise I'm aiding the "enemy" by allowing it to feed me lies: "Oh, what's one piece of cake and I've had such a rough day, I deserve it." No, we deserve to be healthy and fit to take on the challenges of the day! Congrats on your weight loss!!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Again--it's important to log EVERYTHING you eat. One of my downfalls was snacking constantly throughout the day. A few crackers here, a little chocolate there . . . throughout the whole day it really adds up. So, if I happen to eat a few potato chips, or a handful of nuts, I sit down and (honestly)estimate what I ate, and log it in. It keeps me honest.

I might be able to "fudge" (pun intended!) what I put down on my food log, but the scale is not going to lie to me, you know?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

Again--it's important to log EVERYTHING you eat. One of my downfalls was snacking constantly throughout the day. A few crackers here, a little chocolate there . . . throughout the whole day it really adds up. So, if I happen to eat a few potato chips, or a handful of nuts, I sit down and (honestly)estimate what I ate, and log it in. It keeps me honest.

I might be able to "fudge" (pun intended!) what I put down on my food log, but the scale is not going to lie to me, you know?
Agreed! I wrote in another post about that. I stopped using fitday last summer after two plus years of rigorous and honest use and I gained 8 pounds! Believe me I will never do that again!

Last edited by missavie; 01-19-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 AM
FitDay Member

I know what you mean! I dropped 80lbs in a year going from a job where I sat all day eating fancy take out, to a job which requires me to walk 5 miles between all my train stops and stand all day, not to mention pack a lunch. Everyone still asks me what I'm taking!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 PM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb

I think I may have just found the right website to keep me motivated. I started my weight loss journey a few months ago. I have not been tracking my food intake, so I am not where I expected to be with my weight loss. Like many of you here, I too am diabetic. I currently take oral medication for this. Before my diet my A1C level was 9.0 (way too high) it is now at 6.3. I hope to be down to 5.0 soon. As of today I have lost 13 pounds. My goal is to lose 30 more pounds. I will keep checking back for more success stories, their such a great motivator. Thank you for sharing!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hello

Today is my first day on the post.
Please share with me what you ate or gave up the first two weeks to lose the 15 pounds.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:12 PM
FitDay Member

Here's a couple of sample food logs for me back in September.

2 slices light wheat bread (100 cal), about 2 ounces of turkey sausage (202 cal), 1 can anchovies no oil (I love anchovies, 50 cal), 1 can chicken and rice Healthy Choice soup (222 cal), Special K bar (90 cal), i cup of homemade cole slaw light dressing (about 125 cal), 3 large tomatoes (98 cal). Grand total 937 calories.

1 large cucumber, 1 large tomato, Special K bar, 1 seafood cake (recipe from Cooking Light about 170 cal), 2 chicken tacos with mango salsa (Cooking Light 400 cal), 3/4 cup homemade cole slaw, 2 ounces of grilled salmon on two pieces of light wheat bread (about 200 cal), 2 Tennessee Pride turkey sausage patties on 1 piece of light wheat bread. Grand total 1103 calories.

I found a lot of good light recipes at cooking light.com and the magazine. Good variety of foods. The tomatoes became one of my favorite nighttime snacks (with a little salt, some cilantro, and some diced jalapenos).
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 AM
FitDay Member

C'mon every one!!! WE WILL MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's work hard!! Let's all lose those pounds we want to lose. Don't starve your selves!!!!! Eath healthy. Don't forget the vegetables and the fruits and some chicken and fish for the win!

Stay away from sweets, sodas, sweet bread, high calorie snacks, cakes, and you will be amazed at the results you will get after a month of leaving this behind!!!!

Get on the "LOSERS" boat!!!! LEt's make it happen. I already feel thin just from the food choices I have made to eat healthy and making it a habit =)
Old 02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
FitDay Member

Hi! I am new to this (or any) forums. I have been on the heavy side for all of my adult life - I am a 5' 2" 35 year old female who was 189.5 and was scared to get to 190. Yet, I kept doing the same things everyday, trying to put weight and health out of my mind. I became really depressed (other stresses going on in my life) and started exercising because I didn't want to go on drugs and remembered that exercise had helped me in the past.

I think it is funny how you said something just clicked and you don't know what. I experienced the same thing - I've always known inside that it is about calories in and calories out to lose weight. By now, I don't know how ANYONE who is overweight can possibly not know how to lose it. But for some reason, I never really could get myself to be serious about losing weight for long enough.

Somehow, like you said, it all just clicked around the time I discovered Fit Day. I've been tracking my eating keeping it down to 1250 - 1350 calories a day, and exercising with Kathy Smith videos (I really love her) and it is working!! I have lost 11 pounds in 4 weeks, and am on my way to reaching my goal of 140 in June.

The exercise pretty much cured my depression - although obviously, stress still remains. I can just handle things a lot better when I am active. Now with the exercise, my lower caloric intake is helping me drop the pounds week by week, almost effortlessly! I have never felt this great or confident in my life. For the first time, I don't just think I can possibly lose the weight, I feel like I just KNOW it inside. This time I will reach my goal.

Tracking everything on Fit Day is a lot of fun. That's what was missing for me, I believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.