Notices

ROcky Mountain Trails

Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default ROcky Mountain Trails

So, I'm having lots of fun planning a summer trip to Colorado (which is full of friends). We'll be staying west of Denver - and I know there are a few mountains around there. We're not climbers, and might be better considered walkers than hikers.

Who's got a "can't miss" walk / hike around Evergreen / Kittridge?

I know there are lots of trail guides and hikes, I'm more looking for your impressions and great stories to help me pass the time till vacation!

Thanks!

Abby
Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM
FitDay Member

I envy you. Colorado is one place I've always wanted to backpack but never made it there (yet). Idaho is on my list as well. I've done the Sierras, Grand Canyon, White Mountains, Appalachian Trail in various states (not the whole thing by any means) but unfortunately can't offer any tips for where you're going. But just hiking around will get you that Rocky Mountain high for sure.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Have a wonderful trip, Abby.

We hiked in the Sangre de Cristo mountain range years ago when we went to Colorado for my brother's wedding. It was truly breathtaking.

I've been on the Appalachian Trail with my brother recently (Thanksgiving), and it was like having a guide with me...he's hiked for 40 years and knows everything there is to know about the flora, fauna, and wildlife, and he's a history buff, too, so he told me civil war trivia all along the section we were hiking.

We overtook a family with a few young kids; one was insistent upon walking even though she was holding up the procession. We walked with them a bit and chatted, and as we went on ahead, my brother wished them well, looked at the little one, winked, and said, "Don't become baggage."

And it hit me that that is a wonderful statement to apply to life in general, and I've had that in the back of my head ever since, especially on days I'm feeling passive.