Notices

Black Friday Anyone??

Old 11-24-2011, 05:36 PM
FitDay Member

Default Black Friday Anyone??

I have never been one to be lured to the stores for the "aMAZING" deals, but this year I had to venture to Wal-Mart (yup, Wal-Mart of all places) to help my brother and sister-in-law get some things for the kiddos. We were stationed throughout the store, casing out how to get everything we needed.

I wound up in housewares to get a mini chopper (I hate chopping veggies by hand!) and some Pyrex dishes. I met an awesome lady, I have been referring to her as the 'Chopper Lady' as I forgot to get her name. Anyway, she stayed with the choppers and I went to the Pyrex and we grabbed what the other needed from our stations and exchanged after the madness erupted. I was pushed over the pallet of bakeware and jumped over to get to the freaking Pyrex (it's Pyrex people, yes a really good price on it, but still, just bakeware) and a lady tried to take my newly exchanged for chopper out of my shopping cart. I almost lost my religion.

As I was making my way back to where my brother was stationed in Sporting Goods another lady berated me for not moving.....although she said nothing to the 9000 people IN FRONT OF ME FOR STANDING AND TALKING AND HOLDING UP THE AILSE!! As politely as I could I asked her where exactly she wanted me to go, seeing as how I was stuck in the same quagmire she was. I got the Go-to-hell look and she kind of huffed and said "oh, whatever". Yeah, she almost got knocked out. From what I was told, the 600 count sateen sheets were the biggest item to grab. Great price on them, but not good enough to stand 10 deep for. I'm sure there were more horror stories going on in the store, these are just the ones I ran into.

So how do you spend your time after turkey and football? Are you sane and curl up on the couch with a good blanket? Or are you insane like me and brave the stores?

I've decided that next year I'll wait a few days, spend a few extra bucks and not almost go to jail over some cheap appliances.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

I just got back from Walmart. I got a few things but the biggest thing was a 40" 1080p HDTV for $248. Thought about getting a few but decided against it.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

the store I was at only had 8 of that particular tv, so that was a no go. as was the xbox kinect, we were 30th in line for 28 consoles. oh well, not something the kids were expecting anyway. all that matters is I walked away with my pyrex and mini chopper. and a waffle iron, another mini chopper, a grill pan/large frying pan combo, 2 sets of rubbermaid containers, a new blender, thermal underwear for the cold mornings at work, and some beef jerky (total impulse buy)!
Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Torri, they had pallets upon pallets of them here. There are also 2 Walmarts in my small town. It sucks with stores offer big sales but only order a few.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

I just got back from Home Depot. You'd think they would be having a storewide sale but when I asked the guy in millworks he said no, it's just few select items that are out on the floor and marked. That's pretty dumb considering they sell refrigerators, washing machines, etc.

I need a new garage door opener. Unfortunately, it's regular price.

I'm going to see if the same thing is happening at Lowes.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

I don't normally do Black Friday. At my previous job it was a day off (paid) and I would spend it assembling and decorating my tree. At my new job it is a work day and I have moved on to real trees so that will be bought either tonight or tomorrow.

This year though after sending hubby to work, working out and getting ready for work I went to Tractor Supply. Why? You may ask! .... To get the dogs a new bed! Theirs somehow 'exploded' last week one day while I was at work. They had a 40" x 50" fleece bed that is normally $49.99 for $19.99 and I knew they had to have one. I never dreamed the line for the check out at this store of all placed would be 15 ppl deep. So I was a half hour late for work.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Torri, they had pallets upon pallets of them here. There are also 2 Walmarts in my small town. It sucks with stores offer big sales but only order a few.
we have 4 walmarts in my town....FOUR walmarts and they still didn't have many. we wound up finding an xbox online at sears this morning so after work I have to swing by and get it. the stores only order limited supplies just to get you in the store, they figure if they have you there you'll wind up buying something. it's the old bait and switch