Notices

Irene

Old 08-26-2011, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Irene

On another thread, Mai asked:

Originally Posted by lastri
Is this storm really bad? People are buying like crazy at the stores. I wonder if I should too.
Mai
Don't buy just out of panic, but do think through a plan, what if you don't have running water for three days? Very unlikely in DC, or in Boston where I live, but I've got 5 gallon jugs in the basement which I will fill tonight. Most of us wouldn't starve if we couldn't food for a few days, (thank God, and of course, do rememeber that this isn't true for most people in the world, or many in the US) - we'd eat that old rice and pasta at the back of the cabinet, and be OK.

This may be the biggest storm you'll ever see, but it will not be anything like what people saw in Katrina.

My thoughts are with those of you facing evacuation and damage - good luck!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Abby, Good thought. Water, I have some and some can food.
Pray for everyone to be safe.
Mai
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dear_abby
This may be the biggest storm you'll ever see, but it will not be anything like what people saw in Katrina.
No truer words have been said. Katrina was REALLY bad. I don't think that New Orleans will EVER fully recover.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

I just hope that Irene isn't as bad on Raleigh as that bitch Fran that blew in here back in '96. She demolished many an old oak tree, power was out for a week, and schools were out for a week. She made a beeline straight for Raleigh.

I really am hoping and praying she blows out to sea but that isn't very likely at this point. If she makes her way up to NY it's going to be very nasty indeed.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Looks like it's getting weaker, just downgraded to Cat 1. Still, I'm picking up another 5 gallons of gas for the genny in case we lose power for a while. Stay safe, everyone.

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-27-2011, 01:33 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Mai

How are things in DC? Is the first time you have been through one of these things? We have cousins trying to get back from Maryland to SoCal and are probably stuck until Mon or Tues.

I remember a couple hurricanes blowing through when I was growing up in Alexandria. At that time the technology was so limited that everyone just hunkered down and waited to see what happened. One in particular one, (late 70s I think) was especially damaging. Lots of flooding. The Potomac river (which is tidal) was at least 15 out of its banks and then the next day it flowed the otherway and was at least 15 lower than any low tide anyone had ever seen - is was kind of spooky.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Been thinking about VaBeachGirlNYC...both those places in the line of fire; hope all is okay with you!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 08-27-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 PM
FitDay Member

Pam,
Irene seems weak now. We just have a lot of rain and a bit of win. However, last night my husband told me that a boy die in VA Beach. A tree had fallen on the apartment. He was in bed with his mother. It's very sad.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mai, glad to hear you are okay. Thanks for checking in to let us know.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

How did everyone fare? I got two feet of water or more in my basment which wrecked a whole lot of havoc and we lost power for three hours, got it back and lost it again for an hour and a half so no sump pump. The ngenrator didn;t work tho 2 o four friends tried to get it going. We had an 85 yer old man (my f-i-l) and a 14 year old (neighbor's kid) helping me, DH amd DD bail out. The water hit my hot water heater so we now have no hot water and since we have too much stuff in the basement, we will be cleaning for days, if not a week or two. But no life or limb was lost thank God. Now we're trying to see if my f-i-l can get home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.