FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Junk mail/ credit card offers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/4759-junk-mail-credit-card-offers.html)

01gt4.6 07-18-2011 04:34 AM

Junk mail/ credit card offers

Yesterday I decided to sit down and go through my stack of mail. I pulled out my paper shredder and was about to get busy, then decided to give my shredder a rest.

It was all credit card offers, probably a dozen of them. I laid the all out and started opening them. I didn't even bother to read them b/c the CC companies have no good offers these days (probably 19% apr, variable... which is a joke). I pulled out all of the return envelopes and stuffed them with other offers and sent them back. So Citi got the junk from Discover, etc. This way they can pay to have crap sent back to them. I figured that I hate junk mail as much as I hate telephone solicitors that call even though I've been on the FTC Do Not Call List for years. Maybe if we all do this the companies will catch on and quit sending these dumb offers?

Anyone else do this?

handcycle2005 07-18-2011 05:05 AM

The problem is the mail goes back not to the company but a clearing house. The employees there don't give a hoot what's in the envelope. Material from another company goes in the trash, no skin off their nose.

Also, they pay bulk rates for their mail, same amount for the return whether it's used or not.

01gt4.6 07-18-2011 05:10 AM

Well that sucks. At least my shredder got a break. :)

taubele 07-18-2011 05:47 AM

Man, that's a great idea, even if it's just to blow off steam.

BF and I are about to turn off our home phone - not only will it save us $50 a month, but it's just been SO annoying ever since we got it hooked up. Constant calls from debt collection agencies (for one of six people -- none of which are BF and I!!) and people looking for an appliance store. I think one in twenty times I answer the phone, it's for one of us. No matter how many times I've been asked to be put on their Do Not Call list and assured them that neither Jamal, Casey, Angelina, Scott, or Christian live here, it's the same calls every week. Really annoying.

I feel like screaming into the phone most days.

wowgirl88 07-18-2011 12:01 PM

Terri, I wouldn't reccomend it for the debt calls, but for people doing surveys or offering me something, I say something like; "Sure, just let me check with my partner" (even though I don't have one), then just place the phone down and go back to what I was doing. So don't hang up, just leave them hanging. Brings a smile to my face.
Then maybe half an hour later just hang the phone up. Doubt they'll wait half an hour, but it's fun to think of them wasting their time, just as they waste ours.
(Before I get aggro, yes, I've worked in a call centre, no I didn't like it, and I cheered when people just hung up on me, cause I was desparate for work and thank god I got a better job two days later).