FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Chickens! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/4611-chickens.html)

mecompco 07-01-2011 12:36 PM

Chickens!

I probably should have my head examined. I will be bringing home 23 laying hens, along with their coop, fence and various accoutraments tomorrow.

There will be plenty of fresh cage-free, free range eggs available at my house from now on. :D

Anyone have any words of wisdom? I did get two books as part of the deal so I'm doing a little crash course in poultry husbandry.

Regards,
Michael

01gt4.6 07-01-2011 12:49 PM

Words of wisdom? Get nose plugs, something to ward off the flies and pray that your neighbors don't kill you (if you don't live in the country)

mecompco 07-01-2011 12:55 PM

Well, we've got 150 acres, so we're good there. They really don't seem to smell too bad and the flies aren't bad, either from what I can see.

This is a bit different than the farm with four barns with 80,000 birds that my best friend growing up lived on. There was smell and flies with that.

Regards,
Michael

cjohnson728 07-01-2011 01:23 PM

I think that's awesome, Michael!

Enjoy the eggs and have fun learning poultry husbandry :). Are you naming them?

mecompco 07-01-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 49739)
I think that's awesome, Michael!

Enjoy the eggs and have fun learning poultry husbandry :). Are you naming them?

Ha ha :D I'm sure my daughter will. I plan to eventually double the flock and everyone will enjoy the baby chicks, I'm sure.

I've been eating eggs from these guys for several months now and they are much better than supermarket eggs.

The owners don't have time for them any more so wanted to sell the whole deal. Getting them home will be interesting!

Regards,
Michael

cjohnson728 07-01-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 49740)
Getting them home will be interesting!

Yes, make sure they are buckled up.

(The mental picture just kills me!)

mecompco 07-02-2011 04:10 AM

The coop w/four birds that rode in it are home. Now we're heading back to get some of the fence to put up. Then we'll get the other 19 birds home.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco 07-02-2011 09:14 AM

The chickens are all home and seem happy. We got a small section of fench up for the time being. We've already got nine eggs to the move must not have upset them too much. Fresh eggs for breakfast!

Regards,
Michael

quinnesec 07-02-2011 04:17 PM

I've been trying to talk my husband into a half a dozen chicks for over a year! I'm so jealous!!! (Although I've been having a terrible time with raccoons lately so I'm a little scared to try it.) :eek:

mecompco 07-02-2011 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 49782)
I've been trying to talk my husband into a half a dozen chicks for over a year! I'm so jealous!!! (Although I've been having a terrible time with raccoons lately so I'm a little scared to try it.) :eek:

Yes, we are surrounded by woods so predators are a concern. I'm making sure all the birds are back in the coop by dark so hopefully we won't have any problems. We do have 'coons, skunks, foxes, coyotes, etc.

Once we're sure everyone is settled in and we have a little experience we plan to get some chicks so they're grown up before winter.

You should really consider doing it--it's tough to beat eggs (no pun intended) fresh out from beneath a chicken!

Regards,
Michael

RunbikeSki 07-04-2011 09:13 AM

Count me among the jealous too

I've wanted a hen house for like ever. We have the space at the mountain house, but if I'm honest I just don't have the time or the priorities for it yet. It is on the retirement list, though.

Keep us posted from time to time, Michael, on how the girls are doing!

almeeker 07-04-2011 09:50 AM

Very cool about your new pets. Maybe I can help, we used to raise chickens! The earplugs aren't necessary unless you have a rooster or are a natural morning person. Of course getting a rooster is the cheapest way to get those chicks you're interested in. The best advice I can offer on chickens is to get really good feed. We used to take corn to the mill and have them grind it and make a chicken mix for us. The mix contained a certain percentage of ground sea shells for the laying hens, and I think sunflower seeds? Baby chicks got a different mix with some sort of added vegetable protein. I can't really give you the absolute break down, my mom took care of those details. The other thing that was important for the chickens was laying boxes, my dad built some up off the ground, and we also had perches up in the top of the coop where they slept at night. I don't recall that we ever lost any to predators, but our coop was metal with lots of fencing around it. The other thing that I remember was collecting potato bugs and tomato worms for them to eat. One time we had them so bad that we fenced in the garden and turned the chickens loose to get the situation under control. Chickens also love kitchen scraps, they are a bit like pigs and goats. We used to give them any sort of leftover veggy and grains (like soggy cereal or 1/2 eaten pancakes, bread crumbs, etc). Good luck and keep us posted.

ripemango 07-06-2011 02:21 PM

don't just crow at dawn

I bet chicks will be a great treat for your kids. I think you are going to make many fond memories with this new endeavor!
Btw Roosters don't just crow at dawn, but at 2:30, 3, 4....you get the idea. I would invest in ear plugs and white noise maker in your bedroom.
Research breed of rooster and go w the least aggressive/least likely to fight to the death. Some aren't quite as bad.

make friends at Raising BackYard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Pictures of Breeds
forum about raising chickens

Have Fun!

mecompco 07-07-2011 12:31 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm back home and plan to get another 100 feet of fence up today. The birds love to roam around but a couple went across the road to visit the neighbors yesterday so that may not be a good idea. And, they do seem to leave their "calling cards" pretty much everywhere. I think with a couple hundred feet of fence they will have plenty of space.

I do have another four nest box to put up for them--there are a few birds that seem to hog the boxes. We seem to be getting about a dozen eggs a day at this point.

Regards,
Michael

Kumochi 07-07-2011 02:29 AM

Love reading the chicken stories. I can picture you you rounding them up like in the Shreck game. Great exercise. I too love the seat belted chicken image. Next you will need to get the ones that lay green eggs. Mary

mecompco 07-07-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kumochi (Post 50129)
Love reading the chicken stories. I can picture you you rounding them up like in the Shreck game. Great exercise. I too love the seat belted chicken image. Next you will need to get the ones that lay green eggs. Mary

Exercise!

Let me just say that I don't see how a "farmer" could ever become obese. I've sweated my behind off putting up fence for almost eight hours today.

I'll post a pic of the chickens soon.

Regards,
Michael

almeeker 07-07-2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 50176)
Exercise!

Let me just say that I don't see how a "farmer" could ever become obese. I've sweated my behind off putting up fence for almost eight hours today.

I'll post a pic of the chickens soon.

Regards,
Michael

Farmers get obese when they move to the suburbs, I speak from experience. Okay, now I'm sitting here waiting for chick pics....

mecompco 07-07-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 50181)
Farmers get obese when they move to the suburbs, I speak from experience. Okay, now I'm sitting here waiting for chick pics....

I'll grab a pic in the morning. Gotta head down shortly and make sure they're all in the coop and shut it up soon. They are pretty good about going back in around dusk.

Regards,
Michael

cjohnson728 07-07-2011 12:26 PM

Now you did it. Just watch, the other Mike will show up and put up a whole 'nother kind of "chick pic."

Glad the chickens are doing well for you, Michael.

quinnesec 07-15-2011 02:12 AM

Had to find out how the chickens are doing! :) Post a pic or two when you get a chance... I'm looking for some ideas. My retired father-in-law is always looking for a building project... he keeps teasing me about my chicken interest... lol.

mecompco 07-15-2011 12:30 PM

I will take some pics ASAP. Actually, I need to go out and put them in for the evening soon. They know I give them a handful of cracked corn most evenings and all flock around me when I go out.

I have found that we had to up our egg price to $3.00 a dozen as the hungry little buggers are eating a 50 lb. sack of feed per week!

Regards,
Michael

Kumochi 07-16-2011 07:20 AM

Hey Mike We are still waiting for our chick flicks. Are you giving them sunflower seeds to get Omega 3 eggs? Then you will need to up the price again. As a former farmer I can tell you it's never a break even enterprise. Mary

azazelsfyre 07-16-2011 08:46 AM

Lol, my dream is to have a house with a vegetable garden, two chickens, and a goat <3

mecompco 07-18-2011 02:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here some pics of the "ladies". :D

Attachment 122

Attachment 123

Attachment 124

quinnesec 07-18-2011 02:18 AM

Michael,

Thanks so much! Now I am completely determined to get a few. I especially like your nesting boxes. How many do you have for that many chickens?

RunbikeSki 07-18-2011 02:33 AM

Michael,

It looks like you have provided the perfect home for the ladies. :p

Thanks so much for provide the pix!

mecompco 07-18-2011 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 51216)
Michael,

Thanks so much! Now I am completely determined to get a few. I especially like your nesting boxes. How many do you have for that many chickens?

They share the four boxes shown in the picture. I do have another four boxes I may put up. When we add to the flock I'm sure we'll need more.

I'd like to add another dozen or so birds but may just wait 'til spring. I'm a bit concerned about how this winter will be but the previous owners of the birds said there was no problem (and they only live a mile or so up the road).

Regards,
Michael

Kumochi 07-18-2011 03:35 AM

Your Chicken Ranch looks great. Hope the hens are happy and laying well. Mary

cjohnson728 07-27-2011 01:21 AM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!