Notices

Vent Thread!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb Vent Thread!

I know we've often vented in other threads, but I thought I'd start one up for off-topic vents that don't deal with exercise, food, weight, etc. Today I feel I need to get something off my chest so I don't deal with it in a stupid way. I'm just throwing it up to get it out there; if folks have comments, great; if not, that's great, too. At least I won't be stewing in it!

So, a couple weeks ago I received a referral to do a psych eval on a child. Her insurance company requires preauthorization, including the questions to be answered by the eval, the presenting symptoms, and why a second opinion or continued treatment would not be sufficient. I emailed the psychiatrist with the form that needed to be filled out regarding this information.

Ten days went by and I didn't receive anything, not even an acknowledgement that the form was received. I called the psychiatrist's nurse and left a message inquiring about the status. I received a very nasty, abrupt message from her stating that the reason they can't "talk to me" is because of the privacy rules.

Yes. I get that. But it's THEIR client that THEY referred for me to evaluate. So it's incumbent upon them to obtain a release. I can't do it; I don't even know if the insurance will authorize me to meet with them. I can't get the authorization without the information.

There was no reason for her to be as nasty as she was. Truly. I was very professional, very nice in my communication with her.

The ironic part is that the night before she left the message, the psychiatrist faxed me all the information .

But I feel like I need to respond to her and I'm working myself into a good mindset to do that.

Okay, now I won't eat my frustration!!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

HIPPA regulations should stop them from acknowledging that they received the fax. I say you go there in person with a baseball bat and a chainsaw, that should put a halt to any further attitudes.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:29 AM
FitDay Member

Too bad there are Dufuses in our world.

Just hang cool and write her off as being most unprofessional.. I'm proud of you for not replying in a like manner.

I try not to let others "pull my strings" and make me respond in a manner unbecoming to me. Grin..

Try calling back, perhaps you can talk to someone with more grace and charm this time.

Congrats on the weight maintenance for so long!! You've done good, girl!! Proud of you again!!!

Good luck!

Last edited by jomilt; 06-12-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

You could write a letter to the psychiatrist and explain the chain of events. This is something that is a snafu in their line of communication - that this time includes you - and everyone is going to work better together with some clarification so it doesn't happen again. That's the tone and message. If it DOES reach the psychiatrist, then you'll get some explanation and apology, in nice language. No blame game stuff, just a 'let's all get this done in the right spirit' attitude can sometimes make it work.