Foot injury??? Thoughts?? >

Foot injury??? Thoughts??

Community
Notices

Foot injury??? Thoughts??

Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Default Foot injury??? Thoughts??

I'm hoping that maybe someone has experienced something similar and can shed some light on what is going on.

I've hurt my foot somehow. The pain is concentrated around the ball of my foot, mostly under my big toe, but also spreading out toward the outer edge. It felt a tiny bit stiff yesterday evening, but I attributed that to the heels I wore to work. I did about 40 minutes on the treadmill last night and it was aching when I finished. It remained uncomfortable for the rest of the night, and this morning when I woke up I couldn't put any weight on it at all. It feels almost as if the muscles won't relax; there is no comfortable position in which I can hold it. It aches even if I don't put any weight on it and I could tell my sleep was disrupted, though whether from the aching or worrying about it I can't tell. It's a little better now after stretching it out a bit and some Tylenol. There is absolutely no swelling, no bruising, but there is a mild burning sensation as well. My ankle and lower shin are aching a bit, too, but I suspect that's because I've been walking in a way in which to compensate.

Has anyone ever had anything like this? I don't have much experience with injuries, thankfully, so I don't even know when it might be appropriate to call a doctor to have it looked at.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated .
Old 04-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Ugh, foot injury! Boo, sorry Cassie

So, is the pain located basically on the "ball" of your foot under all of the toes?

My mind always goes to 'worse case scenario' and I thought it might be a stress fracture I'm not an MD at all though, so I'm not certain at all. The only way to really tell if it's a stress fracture is if the pain gets worse each successive time you work out or walk on it (lovely, right?) and that isn't even conclusive.

I guess you should see if the pain gets better at all, or if it's seeming to get worse from walking. If it keeps getting worse after home treatment (like Tylenol and icing it down), I'd call the doctor. Hopefully others that might have had similar pain would help
Old 04-29-2011, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Plantar Fasciitis is a really common foot tendon problem. Although, I believe it is focused in the heel, but the entire foot can hurt, and it often hurts most in the morning.

That is the only one I know of! Have you looked up different foot stretches to try?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blackrhino2
Plantar Fasciitis is a really common foot tendon problem. Although, I believe it is focused in the heel, but the entire foot can hurt, and it often hurts most in the morning.

That is the only one I know of! Have you looked up different foot stretches to try?
my first thought was Plantar Fasciitis. I've had it and it's a real PITA, especially in the morning, but my pain was towards the heel. I hope for your sake that it's not Plantar Fasciitis.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default Mortons Neuroma?

Mortons Neuorma--Another foot condition that causes pain in the ball/toe area of the foot. Heels and tight shoes make it much worse! Low heels and lots of support, no bare feet helps mine.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:22 AM
FitDay Member

Aw, awful, Cassie... sorry to hear that.

I've had plantar fasciitis. I've read that tendon problems often but not always announce themselves some time after trauma. Feeling that pain during the workout, imh and uneducated o, might suggest a very slight fracture, maybe from overuse... Would suggest the obvious (staying off it, elevating, ice on/off in first 24 hours, ibuprofen) and waiting a couple of days - if only because the immune/inflammatory response will also give further clinical indications to the doc, who might be more likely to then order the x-ray that might shed further light. Might, because even if it is a little fracture, the x-ray may not pick it up until the bone starts to heal up. Spectacularly unhelpful, I know...

Stress Fracture
Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the ideas, everyone (on the other thread I would've said "y'all," but that's neither here nor there).

I think I can rule out plantar fascitiis due to the location of the pain. I'm down to thinking either a stress fracture, metatarsalgia, or sesamoiditis. The internet is a dangerous thing.

I have a friend who is an orthopedic nurse, so I'll give her a call when she gets home from work. It's been better since I've been off of it but it still feels like an old bruise. I'm supposed to play a tennis match in the morning and I'm in that state where I know I should cancel but am in denial.

Fortunately tonight is a weights night for me, so I'll do the ones not weight-bearing, and I think I'll be okay on the exercise bike with this.

Thanks for chiming in.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

How is your foot now? Is it getting any better and have you figured out what the problem is/was?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

It's better now; thanks. Spent Friday and most of Saturday off of it, then eased back in. Never did figure it out, but I hope it doesn't recur.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
It's better now; thanks. Spent Friday and most of Saturday off of it, then eased back in. Never did figure it out, but I hope it doesn't recur.
Do you have high arches?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.