Notices

When people make you feel worthless...

Old 05-05-2011, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default Their problem not yours

Leftover,
You've heard it before, but people only make stupid remarks like that when they are insecure - you are a powerful woman (and apparently, now this ship has several powerful women), they believe they need to be powerful men (and they do, I want them serving too!!), and putting you down gives a little strength. The challenge is to not be sucked into letting them decide who you are (a lot easier said than done).

Re crying - it's been a problem of mine, I am supposed to be a powerful professional woman, ready to negotiate and take anything on, but a sadistic boss (fortunatly ex boss) found that he could get me to cry with little snide remarks and took great pleasure in doing so, then telling me it was clear I couldn't handle the work.

I'm rooting for you!

Abby
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

CRIMPET:
As Eleanor Roosevelt famously said: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

let's see: you live in a country other than the one you grew up in, you navigate daily in a strange language, you have learned a skill that very few people have even TRIED to master, you run a household (complete with children & husband), you have plans for the future...If others can't appreciate you for who you are and what you have done, IT'S THEIR LOSS. If they can't see and understand your accomplishments, it means that they are blind to what is around them. The world is full of incredible people, and you are one of them.

By the way, I teach nursing at a university, and the average age of our students is 34 years (one of my students had to take his final exams early to attend his daughter's college graduation!). Nursing isn't easy, but the older students actually do better than the traditional 18-20 year olds. College? GO FOR IT!

Yehudit