Question: BMI vs Height >

Question: BMI vs Height

Community
Notices

Question: BMI vs Height

Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default Question: BMI vs Height

OK... I've dropped 23 pounds since the first of the year.... yeah... New Year's Resolution... but am now trying to set a realistic final weight goal. Of course I intend to be flexible with nothing set in stone... but I'd still like to get a general idea.

It's no secret that we get shorter with age. The wear and tear on the cartilages eventually starts to show up and we get shorter. At my tallest, I was 6' 3". Today I'm 6' 1.5".

So... what do I put for a height to figure my BMI? The only change to my physique is the reduced spacing between my joints. How could that affect my BMI?

I've looked at the "Healthy Weight" range for 6' 1" and it SEEMS a bit low for my physique (large frame). The range for a 6' 3" male SEEMS much healthier and realistic.

Should people use their tallest height attained when figuring BMI?

Any input on this question would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Craig

PS In case you haven't guessed.... yes... there IS an in-house discussion going on about this topic...
Old 02-28-2011, 08:30 AM
FitDay Member

BMI is only a guide anyway; it doesn't consider your proportion of body fat to lean mass. That's why bodybuilders register as obese with BMI.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Craig,

I agree with Geoffers,
BMI is a reasonable guide for most people, especially people who are not particularly muscular. But it is way too general an equation to have specific meaning to any one individual.

I suspect that as long as you are out of the Obese range for your current height, you will be fine. If you are currently registering in the obese range, shoot for something a few pounds below the dividing line. Then see how you feel about your progress. I would tend to use my current height (cartlagenous compression and all), rather than an old height. That way you will KNOW you are in the health zone.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the thoughts! I didn't mean to sound like I was overly hung up on BMI... it's just been an "in-house" discussion on this particular topic.

BMI doesn't take frame size into account either... and, according to the thumb/forefinger around the wrist test, I'm a large frame. My BMI lists 145 pounds as the bottom of the "healthy weight" for me. Yet, if I walked into my doc's office weighing 145 pounds he'd slap me in the hospital for tests before even billing me for the office visit (and THAT'S FAST!).

I started this thing at the first of the year barely on the wrong side of the BMI Obese line. A week later I was at least down inside the Overweight realm. I know when I'm going to call it a done deal... when my 501's are 35's again instead of 38's and this layer of flab around my midriff is gone. I don't need a BMI scale to tell me that.

What I AM trying to do is to get an idea of where my weight will be when that happens. In my younger years it was around 180.... now I don't know. Also, since my doc tends to use that BMI index, I'd kinda like to end up somewhere in that "Healthy" section.

I've dropped 23 pounds since the first of the year. The first ten fell off fast... since then it's been like 1.75 pounds/week which seems like a good rate of weight loss. I think my ultimate goal is between 175 and 185 somewhere. That's about another 30 pounds or so.... maybe by mid summer?

Oh yeah! I decided to compromise on the BMI scale... I used to b 6' 3", now I'm 6' 1.5".... since this site will not allow me to enter a fraction of an inch in the the height box.... I compromised with 6' 2".

Is that wrong of me? (Grin!)

Thanks again and best of luck to us ALL!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey Craig,
It sounds like you are off to a great start and with your great attitude I'm sure the summer soltice will greet a slim new man. As far as the BMI stuff, it's an interesting measure. I think that maybe one of the reasons doctors and others use it is that the number "28.3" etc doesn't have the kind of impact or baggage an actual weight does.

How many times have I closed my eyes and ears when they weigh me at the doctors office. 170lbs on a 5"4" female just sounds bad and shameful in a way. A BMI of 35?? not so much.

I think your compromise height is perfect .
Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks RBS! That was really sweet!

I was in the doc's office the other day and he actually said to me, "I'm proud of you"!
wow... this is a really reserved kinda guy too. He succeeded in shocking me.... LOL!

But... isn't it nice when somebody takes a moment to compliment you on your efforts in this area?

Here's hoping that you (and all of us!) are surrounded by support for our goals and acknowledgment of our efforts.

HugZ!
Craig
Old 03-09-2011, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Post where do we enter height??

I have been out of touch and away from scales and computers while caring for my mom the past 2.5 months. I just had my annual physical and found I had lost another 0.5 inch. I was looking for where to enter my height and I could not find the place. I'm sure I must have entered 5'3" a long time ago when I first started Fit Day. So why can't I update it now. What am I overlooking?? Thanks.