FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   an apple a day... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/3529-apple-day.html)

01gt4.6 02-25-2011 09:09 AM

an apple a day...

We all have probably heard the saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

I'm just sitting eating my apple and was thinking about back in the day, when I was a produce manager. Back then I didn't eat nearly the amount of fruit or veggies that I eat now. Anyway... back to the apple, I was wondering what everyones favorite apple is, and why.

I've tried many and must say that my favorite is a Gala apple. It's a firm, crisp apple (I can't stand a mealy apple) with a very sweet taste. Back in my Produce Mgr days it use to crack me up to see how many people would buy a Red Not-So-Delicious apple. It was by far the most popular. So what do you like?

almeeker 02-25-2011 09:16 AM

Depends on what I'm doing with the apple. If I'm just going to eat it, I like Gala, Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp or Courtland. If I'm going to make apple pie or apple crisp, it's Granny Smith or Winesap. If I'm making applesauce it's a combination of Courtland and Johnathan. If I'm making apple butter it's Courtland or Yellow Delicious.

01gt4.6 02-25-2011 09:26 AM

I've never had a Courtland. Granny Smith does make a good apple pie. mmmm

RunbikeSki 02-25-2011 11:55 AM

Honeycrisp, hands down.

Did you know that it is the first, and only, patented apple? It's got a great backstory if you have time to look it up.

cjohnson728 02-25-2011 03:50 PM

I like Gala apples too, for the readily available variety, but when we go to the orchard to get freshed-picked, I like Braeburn for eating, Hampshire for cooking.

Mark999 02-25-2011 07:36 PM

I've been eating a lot of apples lately. Mostly Gala Apples. They are quite good with peanut butter, too. I average two apples a day, so I should be able to keep the doctor away for twice as long.

Another apple that I tried recently for the first time was a Jonagold and I must say it's really good, too. Crisp texture with a sweet-tart flavor.

I have never had a Honeycrisp but want to give those a try as well.

MunaAmin 02-25-2011 08:37 PM

I like Gala apples, the 'funsize' ones. Actually, an average apple got much bigger nowdays, and what is now funsize apple is a perfect 3.5oz fruit, whereas the standard one can be twice as big.
I also watch my food miles, so I will buy apples from France, but not from Brazil or New Zealand.

k1die 02-25-2011 11:13 PM

I don't really like apples :). The only apple i force myself to eat is a yellow pretty soft and sweet apple which's name i don't now :)

Lovedogs4ever 02-26-2011 03:43 AM

I love all apples that are supercrisp and have a tart side to them. I HATE mushy apples. Around here we have a lot of crabapple trees and most of them are really good, but if you pick them before they are ripe they give you a stomachache. (It is still worth it!)

mecompco 02-27-2011 11:34 AM

Probably a nice tart McIntosh, right off the tree. There are lots of pick your own orchards around here so that's always fun.

Regards,
Michael

cjohnson728 02-27-2011 11:53 AM

I found some Pink Lady apples at the store last night and they are very good; I don't think I've had one before. Very crisp, tart, and sweet at the same time.

I had the same thought as you, MunaAmin. Apples these days are huge...it's almost like getting two fruit servings and over 100 calories. I wish I could get the smaller ones, but the only way to do that is to buy a bag, and I'd rather pick them out myself.

vabeachgirlNYC 02-27-2011 02:36 PM

Gala are my favorite but TBH, apples make me hungry! :confused:

beccafries 02-27-2011 11:18 PM

I like golden delicious or granny apples...sometimes apples make me hungry tho...

quinnesec 02-28-2011 02:19 AM

Our weather has been really cold lately so I've been eating warm bowls of homemade, unsweetened, chunky cinnamon applesauce. So good and about 100 cal. per cup.

taubele 02-28-2011 02:40 AM

I'm a Granny Smith girl - I like the tartness and crispiness. I'm with Mike, can't stand a mealy apple at all. Red Delicious are Red Disastrous to me. I'll just eat Granny Smith apples straight-up, or use them for baking (when I have attempted to bake!)

I also enjoy Macintosh and Courtland, but I haven't been able to find Courtlands in Florida :(

RunbikeSki 02-28-2011 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by beccafries (Post 37888)
...sometimes apples make me hungry tho...

I'm with you on this, beccafries. They tend to make my stomach growl an hour or so after I eat one. But if I add a little protein/fat (not sure if one is better than the other) like peanut butter or cheddar, that does happen.

Lizzycritter 02-28-2011 03:52 AM

My husband and daughter both love tart apples, so I usually have Granny Smiths in the house, but I prefer Mcintosh, Fuji or Jonathan. Neither one of them seem to like fruits or veggies as much as I do, so when I do find something they'll eat I run with it lol. I do buy the smaller "lunchbox" apples in the paper bags. The kids don't finish the small ones usually, so why buy the huge ones? The big ones don't fit in my apple corer/slicer either.

behaze 03-01-2011 01:58 PM

Pink Ladies are definitely at the top of the list (even when it's not quite in season, they're still crisp and delicious), closely followed by Fuji, Gala and Granny Smiths. Love the sweet and tart.

Despise the powdery apples, as well as all-red apples, like the Red De-sgusting. The skin is always bitter and the flesh is tasteless.

I used to be a huge apple fan, but these days I'm leaning the way of the banana. :)

mtlgirl 03-01-2011 11:39 PM

I gotta say I love Golden Delicious the most this year. I go through phases. 2010 was all about the Pink Lady for me but the Goldens have been amazing this Winter. I also love a good Gala and here in Quebec, the local McIntoshes are absolutely fantastic in the Fall. They are small, sweet and crisp and I just love them!

Mike, fun thread! :p

Meggietye 03-28-2011 12:58 PM

Nothing like the month of September and a box of MacIntosh apples..and the rest of the year too.