What do you do for a living?

Community
Notices

What do you do for a living?

Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Mike,
If it's any consolation, DH and I love our insurance agent! He's never pushed us into anything we didn't want, but has always made sure that we have the amount we need as we've grown from pups to looking at retirement (well DH is, I'm a ways off)
that's great. He/she is doing their job the right way.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:28 PM
FitDay Member

government disability claims representative - assist people with disability (mostly children) and retirement applications
Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 PM
FitDay Member

I am a cook, cleaner, manager, PA, teacher, chauffer, referee and first aid nurse with occasional night shifts. Some people call it stay-at-home mum but before I did that, I freelanced - interpreting at weddings and court hearings.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
FitDay Member

Wow- I haven't written on the board for a long time! I've been struggling really really hard to get back on track since Thanksgiving! That's MONTHS! Ugh! But I'm finally back to not eating everything in front of me again. Now to get back into regular work outs...

Anyways, I'm an office clerk for the government. It's not very glamorous, but I'm working hard to try to land a permanent job with them since I'm on an intermittent 2-year schedule right now. If I can land that (unlikely now that Obama's put a hiring and pay freeze on federal jobs for idk how long...), I would like to earn my masters and become a supervisor! Otherwise, I plan on joining Americorps for a couple of years if I can't get in permanently with the government, get some grant writing experience, and join up with another non-profit.

Well, there you have my career plans...I plan on losing this weight THIS YEAR however, no matter what happens. Even if I have to go back to waitressing at family restaurants

55lbs down, 40 more to go!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

Licensed veterinary technician, which is critter nurse, anesthesiologist, and lab rat for the most part. I really like the lab rat part, guess I'm a nerd at heart. I work mostly with companion animals, but it's a mixed-animal (farm and companion) practice. I don't go out on the farms but I get interesting (and smelly) lab samples sometimes. I joke that I have a college degree in poop
Old 01-25-2011, 03:36 AM
FitDay Member

I'm an IT Analyst supporting Business Information Systems (Financials, Payroll, HR). Mostly I work with enterprise systems and application integrations with the mainframe or with Oracle and SQL databases. I previously worked for IBM but got burned out only being home on weekends. I now (for the past 2 years) work for the 4th largest school district (Cherry Creek) in Colorado.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Welcome back Nessa!

Glad to see your screen name again. Yeah, a bunch of us fell off the wagon, you have lots of company there. But, there's only one thing to do now... hop back on and go for a ride. "See" you on the next post!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
I'm an IT Analyst supporting Business Information Systems (Financials, Payroll, HR). Mostly I work with enterprise systems and application integrations with the mainframe or with Oracle and SQL databases. I previously worked for IBM but got burned out only being home on weekends. I now (for the past 2 years) work for the 4th largest school district (Cherry Creek) in Colorado.
Ron, that sounds like a challenge! While we have four towns in our district, we only have around 3,000 students. No mainframes here, just a fiber WAN and a bunch of Dell servers (and new to us this year, virtual servers). Our entire IT staff consists of myself and three others so we do keep busy.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 AM
FitDay Member

We have over 8,000 employees. I think about 62 IT staff. We are actually in the process of retiring the mainframe and moving to a server/web based application called Lawson. We moved the financials last July and the new Payroll/HR application will go live in May. I am lucky that their is a diverse set of challenges but I don't have to be the expert for everything.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Default Egghead ahoy

I got my Ph.D. in Neuroscience in May 2010 -- I'm currently a postdoctoral associate at a university in Florida. My major research goals are the study of how hormones affect the brain and neurotransmitter systems.

The current lab I'm working at uses sex behavior as a model, so I get to watch rats have sex a lot (lots of fun!) -- I'm not interested in sex persay, but I'm using the behavior since it's well-characterized, and it's easy to see if things go wrong after experimental manipulations

Uh... so in short, I study brains? And how hormones change them, affect brain signaling, and facilitate or disrupt processing I also recently consulted on my first book (yay!) which -- while it may be a little fluffy and aimed for the masses, was a real challenge, because sometimes I still have difficulty translating my research into non-technical terms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.