FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   What do you do for a living? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/3098-what-do-you-do-living.html)

alleysgurl 02-03-2011 06:00 PM

I'm a stay at home mom, during the day. In the late afternoon/evening, I'm a prep cook/manager for a little hole in the wall restaurant that serves Cajun food.

01gt4.6 02-06-2011 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by alleysgurl (Post 34700)
I'm a stay at home mom, during the day. In the late afternoon/evening, I'm a prep cook/manager for a little hole in the wall restaurant that serves Cajun food.

Cajun food??? Where are you located?

behaze 02-06-2011 10:24 PM

So many different vocations here! Wonderful to see everyone mingling on a common level.

Always first, I am a mum to my two beautiful boys (I can say that today, because they both woke up in fantastic moods :D).

Have dabbled in lots of paid work, from a legal secretary to an aftermarket consultant (the one people hate when they're buying a new car, 'coz they have to listen to the 'you need window tinting' spiel) to a resort cleaner (shudders run down my spine) to the supervisor of a holiday letting agency.

I am an author, currently working with a publisher to make my manuscript publishable. Can't really say I do that 'for a living' yet, as I've not yet been paid for it . . . one day soon, though!

spearfisher 02-08-2011 07:13 PM

I watch over people while they sleep. It really stinks when I'm tired and I have to watch everyone else take a nap :rolleyes: but then again, they are having surgery and I'm not

Twinnermommy 02-08-2011 08:10 PM

Behaze, what do you write? I think being an author would be an amazing career to have.

I have a web design company; I design websites and graphics. I also do search engine optimization and blogging to attract traffic to websites. Anyone need a website?? ;)

I am also a mom to three beautiful kids (under two years old, ha ha), so life is busy and fun! I love my job and my family.

jhowar16 02-08-2011 09:21 PM

Babysit... seems like a silly job for a 21 year old but I get paid decently because I work 10 hrs a day! And it's like having a child of my own but without most of the fuss- I'm not sure I want kids ever yet =P

Also Hoping I get a job at a Pizza place that I had a second interview for.

behaze 02-09-2011 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Twinnermommy (Post 35306)
Behaze, what do you write? I think being an author would be an amazing career to have.

It is, Twinnermommy. I absolutely love writing and I sincerely hope I can make a career out of it. I write adult fiction, which is kind of broad. To narrow it down, the one I'm perfecting is an 'historic drama', but I'm working on a new one inbetween-times which is much more modern and perhaps a little more commercial.

Sounds like we're both happy with our chosen paths!

Spearfisher, what do you do? Are you a nurse? A doctor? An anesthesiologist?

Shuleran 02-11-2011 06:50 PM

I am a pediatric respiratory therapist and asthma educator. I work in a large teaching hospital in the deep South. :)

64rhoda 02-12-2011 05:37 AM

I talk to people about how to have a good healthy love life and help them fix things that they don't understand about each other. It is quite nice when things work out for the couples. I like helping couples find there way.

shelby_36 02-12-2011 12:51 PM

I'm a school teacher (math) I've used FitDay before but not these forums. Need some extra support this go around.

doowackie 03-10-2011 10:45 PM

Right now I'm working to so my husband can go to school. I do data entry for 3 recording districts in Alaska. It's nice to listen to my music all day but it sucks to sit at a computer for 9 hours.

When my husband finishes school I don't know what I want to do. When I graduated HS, I wanted to be a coroner. Now I've wasted too much time to get wrapped up in med school. I'm thinking about trying for a park ranger position, but who knows how long that'll stick.
I just want to have a job that makes me happy.

Crimpet 03-11-2011 11:56 AM

Well, before I came to Turkey I was a visual merchandiser for a Garden Center. I absolutely loved it!! I was so physically active I stayed in better shape than I ever had been in my life, and I got to hang with gorgeous plants. Now since I don't speak Turkish, I teach English online and my husband works. When we do eventually go back to the USA I plan on going to college (always wanted to but was hard with two small kids), and I intend to go for a masters in Plant Biology..I want to be a botanist =)
I'm going on 31, so I don't believe age should matter, so long as it's what YOU want to do =D So if you wanna aim for medical college go for it! ^_^ I know I'll be roughly 39 by the time I finish, my kids will be grown, but I'll know I did it, and I'll spend the rest of my life enjoying it (and the pay raise lol)

For now though I'm stuck with part time English tutoring..which I actually hate lol

MollySue2 03-12-2011 11:01 AM

Nice thread! I'm always curious what other people do for their living and I have to say it's quite a variety we've got going here.

I'm a reporter for a daily newspaper. I do culture mainly, everything from portraits, exhibitions, books, movies and God knows what. I'm trying to squeeze in time for my Ph D and would love to work for a cultural institution doing press and public relations in the future.

Lizards13 03-16-2011 09:04 PM

I trained as a Physiotherapist, worked mainly in neurology and respiratory therapy then I moved to administration for military medics, and that's where I am now. I only have a few years left before I retire from this job but then I plan to study again, definitely photography, probably Italian and Spanish, and I'd like to try selling on eBay or maybe proofreading to supplement the pension.

Kumochi 03-16-2011 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=Crimpet;39227]I'm going on 31, so I don't believe age should matter, so long as it's what YOU want to do =D So if you wanna aim for medical college go for it! ^_^ I know I'll be roughly 39 by the time I finish, my kids will be grown, but I'll know I did it, and I'll spend the rest of my life enjoying it (and the pay raise lol)

Good for you. I can vouch that going back to school can be great. I went to law school at age 45. When people commented on my going back to school for that length of time at that age my response was I'd be 5 years older whether I went or not.

Go for it all you who are thinking about it. Learning is never wasted.

Mary

wowgirl88 03-16-2011 10:39 PM

I'm Warehouse Administrator for a logistics company in Aussieland.
Involves counting pallets, reporting, control of the security system and I'm also the Health and Safety rep for the site.
Basically sit at a desk most of the day, but walking around the warehouse twice a day. Fun times! :P

NB-PEmom 03-17-2011 08:55 PM

I have my dream job - I teach physical education at a primary school - kindergarten to grade 2. This is something I have wanted to do since junior high! Although it was a long time coming to me (work shortage, return to school, other teaching positions, stayed home with my kids, etc.), it was definitely worth the wait!!

yunalee 03-17-2011 11:13 PM

I'm a full-time Animation student yay! Currently in my 3rd year for a 4 year bachelors programs in classical Animation. I may take a one year computer animation course after i finish. from there on try and find a job at a studio.

IN the futune i want to finish my story and maybe publish it

farahb7 03-18-2011 04:14 AM

i am a project leader. leading different projects but mostly making office spaces for employees. i could easily claim that this is my dream job! :D:D

wildbeanerz 03-18-2011 01:06 PM

I run the office where restaurants and sales people come to pick up and pay for small orders of food & supplies that they need before they get their next truck shipment. Surrounded by food all day long! Thank God most of it is frozen!! LOL

Saskiasrhythmbeads 03-19-2011 01:47 AM

Wow, we are from all over the world! That is so nice!
To Crumpet: I was many times in Turkey when I was in my 20's. Istanbul, Ankara, all the way south to Gaziantep, Adana and Iskendrun. Beautiful country and wonderfull people. My ex husband was Turkish so lots of visiting there.

I was like a social worker for many years and worked for 6 years in a refugee centre in The Netherlands, where I come from. I really loved that job as I met so many different people.
I live now in Canada with my canadian husband. :-)

I love horses and own 2. I board them at a friends place and train her horses for board. I do clicker training for horses, and give lessons / clinics to people who want to learn clicker training horses. I also make rhythm beads for horses and sell them, but that is more for fun as I love to make them. It's a nice way of winding down after a busy day.

I also started writing a book about my Norwegian Fjord horse, Freya. She is the one that brought me into clicker training. After she bolted on me, and I had a bad fall, I was so down from it, thinking I had to sell her because she was to dangerous to ride for me. I started Clicker training her,as a last resort, and she changed into a very eager student and happy to please me and I am riding her again. Yeeey!
Freya is a lovely horse and the reason she bolted on me, was because of previous training that wasn't fit for her. (too much pressure)
With CLicker training she finally could participate in the training process, and learned how to think about what she is learning. She is a very smart horse.

Ai ai....babbling. Sorry...but this is what I do and I love it. :-)

mrsboda 03-19-2011 10:51 PM

I am a Certified Dental Assistant, and have ben for 20yrs this July.

I am also new to this site, joined last spring, then life got in the way, as it always does. :( But I am back now, and want to loose this weight I have put on, so far I have lost 13lbs, since Jan. And my mini goals each month is 5lbs, I have 3 more to go by the end of March.

I am enjoying reading what is going on here.

Dawn

kajajo 03-21-2011 11:04 AM

I am a Merchander working out of one of the big box stores. Basically I work with a crew of a dozen or more people, we go into the store at night and change everything around. For example if you walk into any large store one day and all the BBQ's seem to have mysteriously arrived and been built then we were there while you were sleeping. We are currently making one big box store more shopper friendly to be more competetive with its new Canadian rival. During the next year almost every thing in the store will change in some way.

RunbikeSki 03-22-2011 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by kajajo (Post 40524)
I am a Merchander working out of one of the big box stores. Basically I work with a crew of a dozen or more people, we go into the store at night and change everything around. For example if you walk into any large store one day and all the BBQ's seem to have mysteriously arrived and been built then we were there while you were sleeping. We are currently making one big box store more shopper friendly to be more competetive with its new Canadian rival. During the next year almost every thing in the store will change in some way.

What an interesting job - I never knew sucha thing existed, but I guess it makes sense. Someone has to design and set-up those displays. I just thought it was the store gremlins who did it once the doors were locked for the night :D.

Northernpt 03-23-2011 08:07 AM

I work at a local gym doing the night shift. It hard work haha J/K. I also have a couple clients I train feel better about doing that now that I am not as out of shape I was 2 months ago. Outside of that I am a full time family man life is good.

kajajo 03-27-2011 05:10 PM

My answer was supposed to say Merchandiser, but some times the keys on my computer stick and letters get missed. I really do know how to spell, well at least most of the time.

Mrs262 03-27-2011 09:50 PM

I'm the head baker at a bagel shop/deli :)

erinmrystrom 03-27-2011 11:48 PM

I'm a writer....I write a variety of things for a retailer. Training manuals, corporate stories, end user instructions, etc... So I do a LOT of sitting...which is not very condusive to losing weight!

RunbikeSki 03-28-2011 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs262 (Post 41385)
I'm the head baker at a bagel shop/deli :)

Oh boy, I would have such a hard time being around all those lovely baked goodies! I used to judge a new town by the quality of its bakeries and whether one could get a decent bagel. Unfortuntly, over the last couple of years I've had to develop another strategy :rolleyes:.

Welcome all! Hope to see you all around!

Pam

November_Blue 04-01-2011 06:22 PM

Crap - I had a nice post written out but it disappeared :rolleyes:

Anyway...I was saying that this is a fun thread for a newcomer who's a little afraid to just jump right in to conversations.

I own a natural & vegan skin care manufacturing company. I feel very blessed to be able to do something that I'm so passionate about.

As much as I enjoy mixing up skin care formulations, I'm not so great at cooking - which is something that I need to work on. I'm getting awfully tired of eating grilled chicken & salad. :D

Pandareina 04-03-2011 10:59 PM

I am a stay at home mom in NY.

RunbikeSki 04-03-2011 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pandareina (Post 42385)
I am a stay at home mom in NY.

Toughest job in the world! Welcome!

cupcake1906 04-05-2011 02:12 AM

I am a pastry chef, woo I love my job and what I do but as a result I am around food all the time and it seems like I never eat. I am one of those people who will spend 3 hours in the kitchen making the purfect meal to turn around and say Im not hungry when I am done.lol but I am trying to start my own business. I make homemade flavored marshmallows and am working on a way to produce a diabetic / vegan marshmallow. that is flavored of course!

shibaluvr 04-06-2011 12:13 AM

I'm a music professor and concert pianist.

optiquest 05-02-2011 06:10 PM

I'm a computer technician

pinenutcasserole 05-04-2011 07:47 PM

Was a programme coordinator / researcher (non-academic) for an educational charity. Prior to that, a copy editor - though am no longer as conscientious as is required for that thankless job (thankfully). Prior to that, a literacy instructor.

Currently unemployed and exploring a switch to... dunno just yet, something that only minimally involves cubicles, bureaucracy, and vulnerability to political whim.

kayvery007 05-04-2011 09:41 PM

I'm a stay at home Mom to two kids in Kentucky. Before my youngest was born I worked as an emergency medical technician for eight years; I *loved* it!

sarkai90 05-05-2011 03:27 AM

I'm a research assistant for a diabetes research clinic. We test insulin and other diabetes aiding medications for pharmaceutical companies, which keeps me motivated to watch my diet and weight. No Type II diabetes for me, thank you! ;)

I've been in school off and on while raising kiddos, and applying to nursing school to finally become an RN. I'll be at least 35 by the time I'm done, but I'll get it done eventually! :)

leftover 05-05-2011 08:54 AM

I'm an electrical Engineer in the Navy, on deployment right now (doh!).
Basically, I turn wrenches and play with voltage (yikes!)

10 more months I'll be an civilian again and go to college~

carlyonawire 06-01-2011 03:57 PM

Wow! What great gigs! I'm am always curious about what people do for a living. I live on the Jersey shore and I work in NYC, so I commute via commuter bus with lots of people in fancy suits! I'm always the odd ball out because I work in music and it looks like it too!

Although my degree is in Marine Geology, I am in music production.
My official title is Studio Production Manager. I manage a full production music studio in NYC. Basically, I help bands and musicians prepare for things like tours, recordings and performances. I assemble teams, music equipment, audio gear, staging, lighting, security etc. for the project. I also do production management offsite. When you watch Letterman or Good Morning America- and there is a musical performance- chances are me or one of my colleagues were the folks who did the production.