Notices

Ladies...clothing advice...help!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

I own two books, "What not to wear" and "What to wear when..." they're by the British hosts of the original "What not to wear" series. I love them because I am definitely not a fashionista, and the first one is organized by body parts you'd like to hide

But I concur, a nice blouse, blazer, and dress pants or skirt, minimal cleavage. Church clothes with a little more makeup. This time of year you could wear a nice pair of boots instead of pumps. I usually go with separates because it's very hard for me to find a dress that fits both my top and bottom halves properly. Wrap dresses work well for me, but they're hard to find.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth. The above advise is good, however make sure you are comfortable with what you wear. If buying a skirt make sure you sit down in it to see how if feels - or rides up. If you are more comfortable in slacks, a dress pant, jacket and nice camisole always look good. Accessories can really dress up a plain outfit.

If you are not used to heels I'd go slacks and a pump. As you attend more of these functions you can rev it up -- as the weight goes off too. Have fun. Mary
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for all the advice and the great ideas, everyone! Party's next Friday, so I'm going to try to shop this Friday and spill it into the weekend if I don't have any luck. I'm not much of a clothes shopper by nature, so it should be interesting! Good points...accessories are always an afterthought for me. I am used to heels, however, being 5'2", and I'm just tickled at the assumption that I actually have cleavage !
Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

A little black dress is a staple when I travel. It has never failed me.

One thing I would suggest is to just make sure you and your husband are dressed to match...not as in matching outfits but on the same scale, ie: If he is wearing a suit and tie I would wear a simple black dress and heels. If he is wearing casual slacks, button up shirt then black pants, heels, dressy top for you....etc.

Have fun and let us know what you wore!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Oh, great suggestion VA/NYC!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

So...thanks again to all. By popular demand, I went with the LBD; even better, marked down from $100 to $25! Alas, I was more dressy than I could get hubby to be, but everyone who knows him takes that with a grain of salt.

It was fun but I'm really enjoying being back in my jeans and flannel shirt today.

Here are a couple pics...albeit from a 14 year old photographer whose patience was wearing thin; we had to do them after the event and not before; do we look like we've had a few?

Pictures by cjohnson728 - Photobucket
Old 01-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

awww how cute. BTW you don't look 5'2".
Old 01-30-2011, 02:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I agree--the LBD worked out well! I tend to wear a lot of black--I find it "slimming" and it helps hide my muffin top and moobs.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-30-2011, 02:30 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default You nailed the look!

Sophisticated and professional.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Good choice! You look great and the dress showed off your arms! Bet hubby was happy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.