Notices

Animals!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 AM
FitDay Member

i have a rott wieler i hope i spelled that right her name is contantina but we call her tina she is the sweetest dog ever likes to knaw in my hand and put her butt on me
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
Bluedog, I love them!!!

Cheers mate Thats some pretty happy lookin' hounds you have there yourself....is that a Shepard/Wolfhound cross in the background?
And the upside down one....it has dingo ears, same shape as Tiger's...there's a whole lot of Aussie somethin' in that one! If it isn't a flat out dingo cross, it has Aussie Cattle Dog not too far back down it's genetic line I would guess.
That smile tells me he/she is as cheeky and mischievous as it gets too.
He he, when Tiger isn't asleep or swimming, he spends the vast majority of his time in that position....upside down laughing at the world and it's troubles.....ya just gotta love 'em, makes me smile every time

BD

Aha!!....now that I have read the thread a bit more thoroughly, she is a dingo/pit cross gorgeous dog, I bet she is a tonne of fun to have around and a very loyal, loving and protective pet. Does she bark? Pure Dingos never bark, only howl, something about the way their vocal chords are built apparently, a lot of breeds that have Dingo in them either don't bark at all or have a very high pitched yappy bark.
Blueys for instance are far more likely to let you know they are around by suddenly appearing and biting the back of your calf or ankle than they are by barking madly at you from a distance. A Blue Heeler is basically just a Scottish Blue Merle /Dalmatian cross bred with a Dingo.
The pure intelligence and cunning that crossing with a Dingo gives has to be seen to be believed in my opinion....makes them really easy to teach and train, but if they think YOU need to be taught some sort of lesson...look out!!

Funny thing though, I've had three Aussie Cattle Dogs during my life, two dogs and a bitch. All three of them were or are as smart as any dog I have ever seen, but not one of them can master the art of appearing innocent when they know they have done something wrong.
If I come home and there is a plant pulled out of a pot, or something chewed up and left lying around the yard or any one of the million other little things my dogs do to show how much they love me, I just have to point and ask Tige if he did that. If it was in fact him that is guilty, he rapidly vanishes under a bush or takes off and hides under my bed or something and refuses to come out. If it was Jody that did it, he just sort of shrugs and looks all nonchalant and gives me a "Yeah, I know boss, but what can ya do?" sort of look. Either that or he is a whole lot smarter than I give him credit for and just decides it is her turn to cop some flak every so often. lol

Last edited by Bluedog72; 01-24-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

Quinn, Siamese cats are known for being very vocal, highly intelligent, and extremely social critters. They're the most "dog-like" of the cats, and are quite trainable since they're more social and eager to be people pleasers than your average cat. Fetching is common for them, and they'll often come when called. You can teach them tricks fairly easily too, particularly if they're treat driven. I had a Siamese when I was little, he was a runt and only 6 pounds fully grown. I used to take him for leash walks in the park. That turned some heads He also fetched, opened doors, and could pop the screens out of the apartment above us and get on the roof. Wasn't supposed to be up there, but he'd sometimes sneak up the back stairwell when the upstairs neighbor was doing laundry in the basement. He never did learn how to get back in afterward. I still miss Prince.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Lizzy,
Thanks for the great info. When I first got them, people thought I was crazy when I told them what they could do. I've been trying to learn more about them because they're nothing like having a regular cat. We've trained them to "sit" and put their toys away, among other things. I think they're amazing. Who ever gave them up really gave me a wonderful gift!

quinn
Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quinn, sorry to hear of the loss of your kitty. It's a sad thing to let them go, even when it's time. Sounds like you have double trouble on your hands now...and enjoying every minute!

Yesterday morning I found the big cat chewing on a piece of yarn that was inadvertently left out from play the night before. I did a double take and noticed how much shorter it was, and ended up pulling a foot of yarn out of him!! Fortunately it came out easily and we avoided a very expensive vet trip!

None too bright, that one.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

My brother-in-law had the same thing happen with yarn... only the pulling was from the other end of the cat... LOL

quinn
Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Eek! Now, I have, on occasion, pulled long blades of grass out that way.

Oh, I do love my "Wide Ride."
Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

Time to add my pets to the fray.

Our oldest animal is Meme, a calico female, named for her selfish personality. We found her at the farm as a kitten, almost dead. A relative insisted she wanted a calico, so we nursed this selfish little creature to health only to discover that the relative would not take a cat from us. Just about 16 years after the fact, Meme continues to rule this house.

Our second oldest animal is George, named for George of the Jungle, watch out for that tree. George can snap any collar, rope, leash or cord, get wrapped around trees, squat pee and run at the same time. Yep, SHE has terrier in her. She loves people, hates dogs. Since she stands about knee high and most dogs in our area stand waist high, she comes home with injuries when she escapes. We usually only walk her on a leash with the knowledge that we need to get her off the ground before she sees another dog. George is about 14 years old.

Our third pet is Cloud. He is a handsome grey boy, who says please and thank you for everything. He is the only one who pretty much ignores Meme's self proclaimed superiority. He is also responsible for our next two pets.

Princess was discovered following Cloud around, as long as no humans were visible. We think she hitched a ride from the farm and then discovered that a subdivision does not have the same food sources. Cloud was bringing her mice and birds, but it was insuficient for survival. My granddaughter and I began feeding her and she was willing to come to the step to eat when I was there, as long as I did not make any sudden moves. That was four years ago. Now she is willing to subject herself to just about anything, except strangers, as long as I am near.

Then we have Bunny. I know it is not legal to have wild animals in captivity, but Cloud brought him/her home two Easters ago as a baby. Cloud jumped up onto a six foot fence, carried it across the roof and jumped across to an open window ad then dropped this poor baby rabbit at my feet. Usually they do not survive even half that, but this one did. Bunny has become very demanding and wants his greens twice a day. Bunny will stretch out next to me after a good run and relax and even sit on my back when I am laying down. Bunny's greatest fault is that he likes cats.

Finally we have a Beta. I rescued a friend's neglected Beta a few year back and since then I have gotten a new one every two years or so, since that is their lifespan.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 AM
FitDay Member

Wow! Annette, that's quite a zoo you have going on there! I always say that pets are like M&M's- one leads to another and another.... A few years back, we had a huge white rabbit, about 10 lbs. During the summer, I would bring the rabbit onto my deck and my cat and rabbit would groom each other and nap together. I never figured out if my cat thought she was a rabbit or if the rabbit thought he was a cat. If they had ever fought, there's no doubt that the rabbit would have won.

quinn
Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bluedog72
....is that a Shepard/Wolfhound cross in the background?

Aha!!....now that I have read the thread a bit more thoroughly, she is a dingo/pit cross gorgeous dog, I bet she is a tonne of fun to have around and a very loyal, loving and protective pet. Does she bark?
The one in the back is an Akita/shepherd mix. A loyal/quiet/obedient breed who would give their life to protect yours. But when it's play time, they are the goofiest, craziest dog ever!

My Dingo girl always acts guilty, lol! She never does anything bad. She spends every waking minute trying to show how me how well behaved she is! She seldom barks but she dreams out loud. I have never heard some of the sounds she makes from a dog. It's like a show every night when she falls asleep! She is a smart one and tries to impress me with her smile and how hard she wags her tail/butt when she sees me. Hard enough that she can wiggle her back paws right off the floor!

My greyhound/lab mix is the barking, destructive, trouble maker who can at times drive me nuts! She loves to bark, goose you in the rear, sneeze on you and tries to trip you. She gets highly insulted and gives "you hurt my feelings" looks and will ignore you for a while when you tell her no. I wish she would learn how to give me the silent treatment too!

I have 5 dogs, 6 cats and a bird here right now. Getting ready to take another Pit in too.

Oh yeah, the dingo is in love with the bird...she licks him all the time and he talks to her, ha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.