Notices

Animals!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for the good wishes for Phoebe. We are so happy she is improving. Phoebe was my "nurse cat;" she took care of me after my painful Total Knee Replacement. While the other cats ran and hid from the crutches and walker (even "my" cat Baby Jake and of course skittish Miss Ginger Puss - the cowards!) Phoebe accompanied me everywhere, took naps with me and watched over me. How could I not do the same for her? She is really perking up too; her dynamic personality is coming back. The other night she was lying in my arms limp, now she is playful and "talking" up a storm (sorta like me.)

Tess is so cute; you can see her personality in the picture!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by canary52
Tess is so cute; you can see her personality in the picture!
Thank you--she does have some personality (and some annoying Terrier traits). Naughty or nice, we love her

Glad to hear your kitty is doing better.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 AM
FitDay Member

I do not know dogs well; what are the terrier traits (annoying or otherwise)?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

Canary, I am so happy to hear that Pheobe is on the mend! She sounds like such a sweet cat. What an amazing little furriend.

My dog has some terrier traits because he's half Schnauzer (and half poodle.) He likes to dig and bury stuff. He is also a bit of a hoarder. Sometimes I find dog cookies hidden in the couch cushions, behind drapes, under his dog bed, or even behind books on the bottom shelf. Terriers are kind of infamous for their stubborness, high energy and intelligence. The stubborness is the worst in my opinion. My dog can be really defiant! Terriers require a lot of stimulation, good training and a firm hand. They aren't the best choices for first-time dog owners but some of them are fairly easy to train like Schnauzers. Jack Russell terriers are incredibly cute. I personally love them and Tess is a real cutie! They are small but not the best choice for apartment dwellers. They need quite a lot of exercise, don't do so well when left alone for longer periods and can be barky and but that is a generalization and every dog has their own personality. I've actually met a couple of female Jack Russells who were fairly calm and low maintenance.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:58 AM
FitDay Member

Phoebe is a wonderful friend and extremely loving to one and all.

Terriers, despite their challenges, sound like great dogs: energetic, intelligent and fun are all good things IMO.

Last edited by canary52; 12-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

There's a lot of terrier owners out there who replace the word "terrier" with "terrorist" lol. Very smart, very energetic, very loyal but if you don't keep them busy they'll find something to do, and 9 times out of 10 it'll be something destructive and/or expensive.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yup, I agree with all of the above regarding Jacks.

Ours is pretty mellow for a Jack, but still a bit-high strung. We have to keep her on Phenobarbital to stop her from having seizures.

A Jack is basically a 175 lb. dog in a 16 lb. body. Ours thinks nothing of antagonizing Great Danes, Pit Bulls and the like. We are no longer welcome at the local PetCo due to "the incident" involving a rather large Pit Bull that was also in the store at the time.

She also launches herself at ANY dog and most other animals that appear on television

Oh, and they LOVE to harrass and kill small forest creatures. Our cat could care less about mice, but Tessie loves to kill them. And if she trees a squirrell in the woods, you might just as well save your breath trying to get her to leave it alone and come inside (this is the "stubborness" trait).

But, they are great dogs if you're aware of and can put up with their traits.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-11-2010, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

Wow that Tessie is a bit of a handful! I lucked out because my Chico has never once destroyed anything in my house and he is the smartest dog I ever met and I am biased of course but all my dog owner friends agree that my dog is the smartest.

Monday Chico is turning 14!!! I can hardly believe my baby Cheeky will be 14.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:58 AM
FitDay Member

Happy B-day, Chico!!! Tell Moms to buy you a treat!!

I like that terrier/terrorist thing. LOL.

Tessie sounds like a trip! Picking on a pitbull, huh? Tess sounds like a dog with attitude. Please tell her to leave the little critters alone (like that will help.) My cats do not so much kill little things as just play with them in what they seem to think is fun but the little creatures can only see as torture.

When one of my cats did manage to kill a mouse (probably by accident, probably played it to death) he brought it to my daughter's room and dropped it next to her printer. My daughter was horrified.
"Jake!" she screamed, "You murderer! You monster!!"
"Aww, now honey," I said, "that's not nice. Jake brought you a present and you didn't even sniff it!!!!"

Last edited by canary52; 12-11-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by canary52
Happy B-day, Chico!!! Tell Moms to buy you a treat!!

I like that terrier/terrorist thing. LOL.

Tessie sounds like a trip! Picking on a pitbull, huh? Tess sounds like a dog with attitude. Please tell her to leave the little critters alone (like that will help.) My cats do not so much kill little things as just play with them in what they seem to think is fun but the little creatures can only see as torture.

When one of my cats did manage to kill a mouse (probably by accident, probably played it to death) he brought it to my daughter's room and dropped it next to her printer. My daughter was horrified.
"Jake!" she screamed, "You murderer! You monster!!"
"Aww, now honey," I said, "that's not nice. Jake brought you a present and you didn't even sniff it!!!!"
LOL! A dead rodent makes a lovely gift--NOT! Actually, I rather like rodents--we have two very portly rats that are very intelligent--perhaps more so than the cat. The squirrels that move into our attic every winter, though, I could live without. We did have a weasel that lived in our garage one winter which was OK, but he moved out and we've never seen another.

Probably one of the funnier things I've seen is when my friend still had his Great Dane. This dog was over 175 pounds and was easily over 6ft. on her hind legs. Well, my buddies teenager had the dog on a leash one day that I stopped over and happened to have Tess in the vehicle. She got out and immediatly gave her attitude (jaws wide open, back fur all up, barking and growling) to the Great Dane. Rather unimpressed, the GD decided to turn the tables and chased Tess across the yard, towing the hapless teen behind her on the leash. Showing some intelligence, Tess hid under the vehicle until the large beast was under control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.